Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Suz, has there been any buyback related discussion regarding an ( USA) tax credit already received?
Is the dealer or the IRS going to try to claw that back from owners? That would make this fiasco a lot more unpleasant. Maybe this interminable wait is not inefficiency, I am beginning to think that it is Policy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well let's put it this way - do you know of anyone who has had their car at the dealership for months because the battery has failed who has actually received a battery from Hyundai and gotten their car back?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good for you! Where are you based? Mine has been in the dealership for 4 months now and not a sign of a new battery.

·
Registered
36 Posts
oh yeah, this chick lives on the west coast - california - saw this on Facebook. How about someone on the East coast who has had a solution to this fiasco other than selling the car back to Hyundai?

·
Registered
362 Posts
This maybe the same person, a member ( KonaEVGal) reports in another thread to have completed her battery replacement after waiting 7 weeks total. She reports HMC paid 18K to replace the battery. They needed some sort of crane to move the battery. So there is hope, apparently . The thread is :
2019 Kova EV catastrophic battery failure

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
270 Posts
Just had my 2 year service. Got to chat with the EV mechanic (or should that be electrician). He said they had applied the latest BMS update, along with some others to navigation, etc.

He said I can charge to 90% now. When I asked about the new BMS software, he said it monitored every cell in the battery pack and if it detected a problem the car would shut down & be undrivable. If that happened they would replace the battery pack. Otherwise the car would require no further attention.

I suggested this didn’t sound like a good outcome. His reply was that there have been no failures in Aus so far. And that if a battery failure were to occur it would happen during charging. That didn’t really make me feel any better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just in case anyone was wondering - here is an update - Still do NOT have a battery or my car (that is 6 months now) and even after asking 6 times for someone to call me regarding a buyback - no call received. The dealership said they were told a battery had been shipped Jun 15 but they have not received anything. Such a shame and what a waste of time!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just in case anyone was wondering - here is an update - Still do NOT have a battery or my car (that is 6 months now) and even after asking 6 times for someone to call me regarding a buyback - no call received. The dealership said they were told a battery had been shipped Jun 15 but they have not received anything. Such a shame and what a waste of time!
Sorry to hear about your cringe-worthy experience. "Such a shame and what a waste of time!" I totally agree! Have you received any letters from Hyundai about the recall #200 and battery replacement? I received 3 letters from them during June and July to set an appointment with my dealer. First appointment they took pictures and submitted battery serial number info to Hyundai. After 3 more weeks, during a 2nd appointment, my dealership installed a new battery pack (2 weeks ago), mine was in their second batch of 5 pack exchanges that they have done. Took about 5 hours. They have now replaced 10 battery packs. Feel free to share this info with your dealer. My Dealer is Alexander Hyundai of Oxnard, CA.

I am in SoCal, 2019 Kona EV Ultimate purchased May 2019, 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cringe-worthy experience. "Such a shame and what a waste of time!" I totally agree! Have you received any letters from Hyundai about the recall #200 and battery replacement? I received 3 letters from them during June and July to set an appointment with my dealer. First appointment they took pictures and submitted battery serial number info to Hyundai. After 3 more weeks, during a 2nd appointment, my dealership installed a new battery pack (2 weeks ago), mine was in their second batch of 5 pack exchanges that they have done. Took about 5 hours. They have now replaced 10 battery packs. Feel free to share this info with your dealer. My Dealer is Alexander Hyundai of Oxnard, CA.

I am in SoCal, 2019 Kona EV Ultimate purchased May 2019, 25,000 miles.
Thanks! I only received one letter in June about the recall #200 battery replacement. I will definitely share with my dealer except I think we may have to wait longer due to being based on the East Coast and not CA (although I love CA and would move there in a heartbeat given the opportunity!) Do you happen to know who in Hyundai they submitted the battery serial number to?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I heard something that there are massive problems with trans pacific shipping and unloading. I imagine your battery would come to the west coast bny boat from China or Korea, and then it woudl be trucked to your dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 Hyundai Kona went into the shop at Kearny Mesa Hyundai in San Diego for the battery recall August 18, 2021. After a week they informed me that after testing the battery it qualified for the recall so they would have to wait for it to arrive. It has been almost two months now with the rental car that they provided through Enterprise and still no word on the replacement battery. I've called a few times and the response is always that they don't know anything about when the new battery will arrive but they will call me as soon as they know anything.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts