Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Umm, there was an issue with the rear brake pads some time back. Found this in my files from an owner on one of the forums. If it's not brake-related then I don't recall any previous complaints of a similar noise.
Font Material property Paper Document Paper product

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a noise when the car was regenerating and brakes not applied. Seemed to be coning from the front not the rear. They replaced traction motor and another part. I can look up the exact parts if you think this may be your issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely coming from the rear wheels . I’m going to have the brake pads checked when they rotate my tires. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had that happen and I think they replaced the traction motor twice and the gear drive unit and it was finally fixed. Took the car in the shop twice for one month each.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a clicking noise when the regenerative braking system was operating, sounds to be coming from the front of the car, I took it to the dealer and they did nothing I couldn't even get my self in a position where I thought they even understood what I was talking about. That was in November 2021, the noise is much louder now it sounds to me something like a cooling fan on the regenerator has come loose or is catching on its housing (although I don't know if this is even what the regenerator has), the noise frequency is, or appears to be relative to speed. Anyhow booked it back in the dealers now on June 21st and I have booked a drive with a technician. I will post again afterwards whether I get some satisfaction or not.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bob, there aren’t any other noise items commonly reported other than what Hyundai term motor rumble. Have them look at the gear oil, it will be horrific and that might get their attention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your reply I have seen the posts regarding gear oil and it's one of my questions to put to the technician now I have a test drive with one. The noise on my vehicle is not there when the accelerator is pressed that's why I thought about the regeneration fault, apart from this the car is lovely and has only done just under 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So, the noise is not normally reported to be present during acceleration, and if the fault is what I think it is, I can understand why that would be.

My semi-informed opinion is that once the noise appears the only solution is motor and gearbox replacement because the mechanical damage has already taken place.

The thing is, once the repair is done, if you follow the advice in the oil change thread (add an aftermarket magnetic plug immediately) the Kona will be a great car because as best as I can determine this is its only Achilles heel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, the noise is not normally reported to be present during acceleration, and if the fault is what I think it is, I can understand why that would be.

My semi-informed opinion is that once the noise appears the only solution is motor and gearbox replacement because the mechanical damage has already taken place.

The thing is, once the repair is done, if you follow the advice in the oil change thread (add an aftermarket magnetic plug immediately) the Kona will be a great car because as best as I can determine this is its only Achilles heel.
Thankyou again for your reply, have you any idea of what causes this mechanical damage? I want to meet this technician armed with as much information as possible in order to avoid a fob off. One puzzling thing is when I made my first post the noise was so worrying I thought the car was bound to be close to some sort of failure; I've been out today 75 mile round trip although the noise hasn't disappeared it's definitely very much reduced.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thankyou again for your reply, have you any idea of what causes this mechanical damage? I want to meet this technician armed with as much information as possible in order to avoid a fob off. One puzzling thing is when I made my first post the noise was so worrying I thought the car was bound to be close to some sort of failure; I've been out today 75 mile round trip although the noise hasn't disappeared it's definitely very much reduced.
Well, all this is under discussion over at InsideEVs in the Kona forum so I won't get too far into it here. I also wrote a FAQ two weeks ago but it's already out of date as evidence drips in almost every day. We have strong evidence now that the OEM magnet is non-magnetic. And that oil continues to get dirty if an aftermarket magnetic plug is not added at an oil change.

All you need to do is drain the oil and have a look. You haven't mentioned your miles driven but it gets a black tinge by 142 km by one account, dark grey with particles at 4,000 km by a half-dozen more owners, and as black as tar by 20,000 km with few visible particles because the bearings and gears have finally crushed all the steel particles to a fine black dust, without question at cost to ongoing bearing health. Crushed particles lose their ferromagnetic properties and even a magnet won't catch them.

As of the last few weeks we have encouraging evidence that fitting an aftermarket magnetic plug at a previous oil change does wonders. As a result the second oil change recommended in my FAQ can be ignored if a magnet drain plug is installed. It almost sounds like a late night TV ad when I read this back but the evidence is all pointing in one direction.

If your noise is at an early stage you might have a chance of minimising it if you replace the oil now. Several owners including myself were surprised how much quieter the car runs with clean oil.

I think Hyundai/Kia could save themselves a lot of warranty expense and owner stress if they simply installed a magnetic plug at the PDI. We have only vetted one plug brand and model over 6 months so I can't recommend any others just yet and reliability is critical. I'm writing a more-detailed paper on this issue and will post it on InsideEVs when it's ready.

Oh, another interesting thing - I found a Hyundai part number for a their own magnetic plug a few months ago and several owners ordered one, in Australia and Canada. In both cases that also turned out to be non-magnetic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Again thankyou for your reply, I have ordered a drain plug the votex as recommended, my car will have done 15000 miles by the time it get in for inspection. I will get the oil changed and see what they say about the state of the oil removed. When I found it I listened with interest to the noise posted on the insideevs forum and it is definitely not the noise I am getting which I can only describe is like a 'ticking' I'll see what the oil change does and proceed from there. My knowledge base will be much better though so it will be more difficult for them to fob me off..... hopefully

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah, you might be lucky in that the click comes from something far less expensive. The top seat belt attachment at the "B" pillar is known to faintly click.

So far no dealer has amazed us with their knowledge of tribology so I won't hold my breath, lol!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I now consider I'm equipped to take on my Hyundai dealer, one final question though; you say gearbox and motor change, is this because they are integral to one another? I wouldn't expect the contaminated oil to enter motor bearings. Once again many thanks for all your responses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I now consider I'm equipped to take on my Hyundai dealer, one final question though; you say gearbox and motor change, is this because they are integral to one another? I wouldn't expect the contaminated oil to enter motor bearings. Once again many thanks for all your responses.
Any updates on this Bob? Can you tell me which dealer you went to? I have just bought a second hand Kona EV with the clicking noise, have 6 months left under warranty so would will try to bring it up with my local dealer (Bristol)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any updates on this Bob? Can you tell me which dealer you went to? I have just bought a second hand Kona EV with the clicking noise, have 6 months left under warranty so would will try to bring it up with my local dealer (Bristol)
Hi sorry about the delay in posting, matters are unresolved at this moment. I took my car into Cars 2 at Wakefield last Thursday and went for a drive with a technician, unfortunately it was rush hour and the traffic noise made it difficult to discern the noise but credit to him he did hear it.
They (Cars 2) then said they would have to contact Hyundai and await a response from them before deciding upon a course of action; later in the day service and maps update completed they reported that Hyundai had instructed them to change the gearbox mounting brackets in the first instance. I am on holiday next week in the car so it would give me time to see if the problem had been cured, if not they would begin to examine the motor and reduction gearbox.
Before work started we had a conversation during which I had asked them to change the oil, give it a flush and fit the magnetic plug with the new oil, their take was that Hyundai would have to approve that under warranty and that they did not have the oil in stock to do it that day. My reply was that going forward I would get the oil changed at my cost and have it tested for ferrous and aluminium content and at that point they would have lost control of the process having not carried out the work, but we were not in an argument at this point is was merely a discussion.
I found out afterwards that the technician also drained some oil from the gearbox and sent Hyundai a photo of it in a clear container, I got the impression that they were not concerned because there was no evidence of material in it, from the photo I presume? I will add a copy of the photo if I can figure out how to do it.
The gearbox brackets are to be changed tomorrow, so I will see how it goes. To be fair to Cars 2 at Wakefield they have been fine and I am in a process of elimination. It was my intention not to post any results of my journey until I had something useful to report

1 - 20 of 26 Posts