Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Kona EV. Aside from the size I have been pleased with most aspects of the car.
I have a charging question:

I cannot get a charger to pull out and it still is in charger mode.
To press the unlock on the fob does nothing. There is also an extended beep when I pass by the vehicle. It last maybe 10 seconds or so.

Is there someway to override this? The windows are off the car is unlocked I can’t get it to lock.

Very annoying, I’m looking for suggestions. Thanks very much

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 2019 Kona EV. Aside from the size I have been pleased with most aspects of the car.

To press the unlock on the fob does nothing. There is also an extended beep when I pass by the vehicle. It last maybe 10 seconds or so.

Is there someway to override this? The windows are off the car is unlocked I can’t get it to lock.

Take it to the dealer. That's what warranty and after purchase customer service is for.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Had the same problem. By the driver door on the dash are buttons for light dimmer, collision monitoring, lane assist, and traction control. Under the lane assist is one with a plug on it that says “Auto”. Press it while the car is on - it will automatically release the charger upon completion. You can “lock” the charger in place if you are charging the car at a public charger and don’t want someone to unplug it and potentially be able to drive off with your car. Hope that helps. Took me a couple of months to figure this out (without reading the manuals).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had this problem charging at my work when the car was not done charging. I think I had to lock and unlock the car with the key fob a couple of times and it then released the charger. This is somewhere in the manual.

Prior to finding the lock/unlock method, I would change the "stop when x% full percentage setting on the car, so that the car thought it was now full, It then decided to release the plug.

I also succeffully did the "stop charging" button in my ChargePoint app. ( may not apply to you)

·
Registered
145 Posts
You have 15 seconds after you unlock (double click on the door, or unlock on the FOB) to press the plug latch and pull out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can manually release the charge cable too - refer to page H42 of your manual. Basically there is a manual release under the bonnet 😬

·
Registered
9 Posts

If you are saying that you are unable to pull the charging "nozzle" out of the charging port, try turning the power off and on again, or on and off again. This worked for me once at a public charging station. ....Rickker

·
Registered
42 Posts
Richard,
From what you are describing (not being able to lock the car, and the beeping sound when you walk by):. Your car may be in "park" but still "on". The beeping sound could be the lane change warning
that picks you up as you walk by the car. In this situation, you have to turn the car off. The situation can get further confused by not having the proximity key around.

Unfortunately the car is not very forgiving of performing an action while being in the wrong "state". For example, if you have the car in "Drive" and open the door, a rationally designed user interface would warn you, and put the car in park. A less sophisticated interface may just let the car roll forward as you exit. Or just warn you: "hey, you should not do that, it will end badly" . I am using this example to illustrate the kind of immaturity hyundai cars exhibit when the driver performs a "questionable" action.
The Kona can get confused, when you make a mistake, and then just perform a set of trial and error moves, to try to get yourself out of the unexpected situation you find yourself in.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
12 Posts
I have had the same problem (charge cord not releasing) a couple of times now. I have always gotten it out eventually but there does seem to be some issues....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never had a problem if the car has managed to complete charging. The issue tends to happen if you need to disconnect before that charge is complete. You can control when that is, by
setting what "full" means. For example you can set "full" to be 60% or 80%. And that is one trick you can use to release the charging handle. Like myself and others pointed out,
closing and opening the doors w the keyfob (or maybe doing this twice) releases the charging handle. Additional complication can occur if the car is parked, but not turned off.

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with HP
41 Posts
The Type 2 plug that the rest of the world uses has no manual latch so relies on an external means to trigger the unlock actuator as the PP pin resistance is fixed while plugged in. I've never had a problem myself because I follow the same protocols but have noticed that terminating the AC charge by bluntly switching off the EVSE is most likely to cause a hiccup. If I need to stop charging that way I first use the key fob unlock to pause charging then drop the AC power within the 15 sec or so period.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts