Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article is sourced from India but appears to quote Hyundai officials. I originally thought it might just be a temporary thing, but now suspect it’s permanent.

I guess this was inevitable. The battery recalls have tarnished Kona reputation so it looks like hyundai will now focus on other EVs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Has nothing to do with the batteries. That will be fixed with the replacements, unlike what Tesla did with the S model (just permanently cut back the range) and GM (still haven't decided whether they will replace the batteries). So I think Hyundai has done better than other manufacturers dealing with this problem

But the Kona was never designed to be a pure BEV, so it is inevitable that it will be replaced by the new BEV only platform, E-GMP, of which the Ioniq 5 will be the first model. And BTW, some of the old Ioniqs are also having their batteries replaced. So I don't see this as a slight against the Kona.

And I still like my Kona EV, even more now since I first got it. Have had zero problems with it, other than the battery and EV drive train and recalls. And with the battery replacement (longer it takes the better), it will be like setting the odometer back to zero, as other EV components will not wear as fast as with an ICE car. And the Kona is still near best in class for range, making it a very usable vehicle for those who want to keep it a long time (like me).

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
209 Posts
"Hyundai Motor has stopped the production of the Kona for the domestic market ..."

That means South Korea.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Hyundai Motor has stopped the production of the Kona for the domestic market ..."

That means South Korea.
Yeah, I’d expect the Czechia factory to continue for a while, especially for Europe: “With sales plummeting as a result of technical issues and before the imminent arrival of the Ioniq 5 [....] Hyundai would therefore decide to retire the Kona. Hyundai has yet to officially comment on this. However, the Kona Electric is expected to continue to exist in Europe, where sales volumes are still strong.”

But on other markets: “Local news channel YTN reported, supported by statements from the newspaper JoonAng Daily and Reuters, also informed by sources familiar with the matter. According to initial reports, the Hyundai Kona Electric would quickly cease to exist in its native lands, but also in the United States and other markets around the globe.”

·
Registered
243 Posts
They haven't really sold that many, at least not by big sales success standards. An article I read about the recall indicated global sales are somewhere in the 60k range. Toyota sells almost that many Rav 4's in the US every month! Total EV sales in the US last year were 250k, and Tesla got about 75% of that. So I can see Hyundai quickly moving on despite the good press the Kona EV got until the battery recall.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
209 Posts
The Kona EV was a big seller here in NZ (for EVs) until the model 3 came along almost year later at the same price, now even better at about $5k lower. We can't compare sales figures with ICE cars but the Kona EV globally hit 100,000 9 months ago.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does not look like very good news for the resale value.
Here in the US Tesla get its Federal Tax credit reinstated this year, which makes the model 3 a lot more competitive w, Hyundai.

The main reason I went with the Kone EV was the 7,5K tax credit (and the 2.5K Massachsusets rebate)
So far, I have not been overly impressed by the sense or urgency or candid communication by Hyundai regarding the battery issue. ,,
Abandoning the Kona EV will probably make me feel a bit stupid for buying the Kona.

Here comes the disclaimer inspired by South Park:
The views expressed by me just opinions that are likely totally wrong and uninformed, and should not be taken seriously by anybody.

·
Super Moderator
580 Posts
They are building all their future EV under the Ioniq brand with platforms designed for EV. The Kona platform was not optimized for EV, more of an afterthought. We'll see Ioniq small crossovers in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What Bebop said,

The new Ioniq 5 is the direct replacement for the Kona. (It's not a IONIQ replacement, that's a sedan)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I leased my Kona EV in May of 2019 and have absolutely enjoyed owning and driving it, though I haven't used it much over the past year (15K total miles). One reason I took a three year lease though, is that I figured about a 90% chance that there would be a bunch of better, more advanced EVs available by mid 2022. Either way, I could keep it if I really liked it a lot and no better alternatives were yet available, or walk away into a new lease without having to trade it in or sell it on my own. Pretty sure, at this point, I will say goodbye to the Kona and check out an Ioniq 5 or maybe something else that we don't know about yet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What Bebop said,

The new Ioniq 5 is the direct replacement for the Kona. (It's not a IONIQ replacement, that's a sedan)
I take your point, but a purely pedantic comment: agree the Ioniq 5 is not a replacement for the original Ioniq, but nor is it a replacement for the Kona. The Kona is a small CUV, while the Ioniq 5 is a mid range CUV. That means if the Kona is to be phased out it leaves an empty niche in the Hyundai EV range. Smaller vehicles are in demand in Europe & Asia in particular.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Ioniq 5 is the first of many new models on the new E-GMP platform. The Ioniq 5 is meant to compete with the ID.4, new Bolt EUV, E-Mach, Tesla Model Y, etc. They will probably come up with a smaller version, too, for 2023, when the Kona is done.

I like the Ioniq 5 (from what I have seen so far), but not enough to replace my Kona anytime soon.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I "kinda" like the ionique 5 as well, although I wish it was more futuristic looking,
This retro look harking back to some early model they had,. I could care less.

Pricing is not announced afaik, but from what we have heard, it will be higher than the Kona EV.
I think the best choice is the diual motor config, who would want a rear wheel drive vehicle in 2011?
So we probably are talking a lot more money than the Kona EV.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I meant 2021 :). One possible solution is to give us a good trade-in and deal on an ioniq 5. But I fear The ioniq 5 is going to be prohibitively priced for working stiffs like me.

·
Registered
10 Posts

That means South Korea.
I just picked-up a 2021 Kona EV. I noticed several dealers in my area had multiple units in-stock. Even non ZEV states are selling them. I wonder if Hyundai dumped all of their South Korea stock to the US.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts