Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just looking at installing some nerf bars or step bars on a 2021 Kona EV SEL to get to the roof bars/cargo box without destroying the rocker panel Ms or interior upholstery. It looks like there’s enough clearance as the battery is a little lower than the factory side skirts. Anyone attempt this or know of a line that lists Kona EVs as compatible with there bars?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are these what you are after?
More or less, but nothing I can find online gives me a compatibility listing for a Kona EV and even though the regular Kona and the Kona EV share the same body, I’m trying to figure out if the holes you use for mounting the hardware for the step bars or nerf bars would be accessible with the battery housing being right there and so low

·
Registered
2022 Kona Elite extended range
68 Posts
There doesn't appear to be much room between the body side rails and the battery enclosure, so it would depend where the side steps attach to.
If they use the existing side moulding attaching points they may fit, I would go to the Hyundai dealer and have a look on their parts diagram, it should give you an idea if they will work with the E.V.
Here is a photo of the underside of the Kona E.V, showing the battery, I've highlighted the bolts that the side steps may attach to.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Line Font Vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I’ll look into it with dealer when I get more time, should be there in a couple weeks for service anyway. If I remember correctly from the last set I’ve put in (years ago now) the bracket kind of slipped through the rocker panel onto the main body and 2 bolts through two body holes usually hold the bracket solid and one of the hanging bolts usually fits through a forked section of the bracket and you just tighten them up fully once you attach the nerf bar/running board

1 - 7 of 7 Posts