Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kona EV Ultimate
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded in my 2020 Bolt Premier for a 2021 Kona EV Ultimate and felt like making a quick video of a feature I wish the Bolt had.

·
Registered
2021 Kona EV Ultimate
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it LKA or HDA? I thought the 2021 models only had LKA and wasn't SCC? Either way, really friggin cool :D
I only think the Ultimate trim has the feature. It’s call Active Lane Keeping Assist in the “SCC” settings.

·
Registered
2021 Kona EV Ultimate
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Certainly enjoyable, like driving with a friend.
It’s fun, for sure. I don’t trust it, so I always keep a close watch. Regardless of how well it does. I drove on i-25 for nearly 30 minutes the other day with doing little else other than touching the steering wheel every 30 ish seconds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It’s fun, for sure. I don’t trust it, so I always keep a close watch. Regardless of how well it does. I drove on i-25 for nearly 30 minutes the other day with doing little else other than touching the steering wheel every 30 ish seconds.
I only think the Ultimate trim has the feature. It’s call Active Lane Keeping Assist in the “SCC” settings.
Mine is an EV limited. But I don't feel I'm lacking anything...😁

·
Registered
359 Posts
I find the self-driving feature just a teaser, and a dangerous one at that. My main issue is that when it decides to turn itself off for whatever reason, it does not a give a prominent warning. It has a wipmy audio warning that you may miss if you have the radio on. Non-adjustable. If this happens, you may run off the road. I want it do do something very noticeable, like an adjustable level loud warning, and flashing some lights , like it does when the break assist detect you are coming up on an obstacle fast. If you thought the car was steering for you while you are going around a curve, now it does not. So the joke is on you if you did not notice.

·
Registered
2021 Kona EV Ultimate
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you thought the car was steering for you while you are going around a curve, now it does not. So the joke is on you if you did not notice.
I completely agree. I feel I pay attention more when I allow it to take over. Which is fine, I know the system’s limitations. Still thoroughly enjoy using the feature, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I find the self-driving feature just a teaser, and a dangerous one at that. My main issue is that when it decides to turn itself off for whatever reason, it does not a give a prominent warning. It has a wipmy audio warning that you may miss if you have the radio on. Non-adjustable. If this happens, you may run off the road. I want it do do something very noticeable, like an adjustable level loud warning, and flashing some lights , like it does when the break assist detect you are coming up on an obstacle fast. If you thought the car was steering for you while you are going around a curve, now it does not. So the joke is on you if you did not notice.
I have a 2021 Kona EV Highlander (same as the US Ultimate trim, AFAIK).

LKA/Highway assist or whatever it's called is not a fully developed, self driving, autonomous or autopilot facility. It is not a self driver. It is simply a driver aid to help drivers stay in their chosen lanes and keep a reasonable distance behind the vehicle in front in highway/freeway conditions. People who think otherwise, expecting an aeroplane like full autopilot on windy roads with curves tighter than freeway standard are kidding themselves. The Kona is not designed to do that.

Neither is Tesla for that matter, though fan-boys may argue the point.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I completely agree. I feel I pay attention more when I allow it to take over. Which is fine, I know the system’s limitations. Still thoroughly enjoy using the feature, though.
The car detects hand movement i.e. when you move the wheel. So it is not really a touch detector. Some people tape some nickels to one side of the wheel, which fools the system into thinking that you are pulling on the wheel. Light enough pull that the auto-steer can detect and cortrect it, but this effectively disables the "turning off" of the auto-steer.
Note: I am not suggesting anybody should try this!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts