Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
It’s fun, for sure. I don’t trust it, so I always keep a close watch. Regardless of how well it does. I drove on i-25 for nearly 30 minutes the other day with doing little else other than touching the steering wheel every 30 ish seconds.
I only think the Ultimate trim has the feature. It’s call Active Lane Keeping Assist in the “SCC” settings.
Mine is an EV limited. But I don't feel I'm lacking anything...😁

·
Registered
407 Posts
I find the self-driving feature just a teaser, and a dangerous one at that. My main issue is that when it decides to turn itself off for whatever reason, it does not a give a prominent warning. It has a wipmy audio warning that you may miss if you have the radio on. Non-adjustable. If this happens, you may run off the road. I want it do do something very noticeable, like an adjustable level loud warning, and flashing some lights , like it does when the break assist detect you are coming up on an obstacle fast. If you thought the car was steering for you while you are going around a curve, now it does not. So the joke is on you if you did not notice.

·
Registered
2021 Kona EV Ultimate
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you thought the car was steering for you while you are going around a curve, now it does not. So the joke is on you if you did not notice.
I completely agree. I feel I pay attention more when I allow it to take over. Which is fine, I know the system’s limitations. Still thoroughly enjoy using the feature, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I find the self-driving feature just a teaser, and a dangerous one at that. My main issue is that when it decides to turn itself off for whatever reason, it does not a give a prominent warning. It has a wipmy audio warning that you may miss if you have the radio on. Non-adjustable. If this happens, you may run off the road. I want it do do something very noticeable, like an adjustable level loud warning, and flashing some lights , like it does when the break assist detect you are coming up on an obstacle fast. If you thought the car was steering for you while you are going around a curve, now it does not. So the joke is on you if you did not notice.
I have a 2021 Kona EV Highlander (same as the US Ultimate trim, AFAIK).

LKA/Highway assist or whatever it's called is not a fully developed, self driving, autonomous or autopilot facility. It is not a self driver. It is simply a driver aid to help drivers stay in their chosen lanes and keep a reasonable distance behind the vehicle in front in highway/freeway conditions. People who think otherwise, expecting an aeroplane like full autopilot on windy roads with curves tighter than freeway standard are kidding themselves. The Kona is not designed to do that.

Neither is Tesla for that matter, though fan-boys may argue the point.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I completely agree. I feel I pay attention more when I allow it to take over. Which is fine, I know the system’s limitations. Still thoroughly enjoy using the feature, though.
The car detects hand movement i.e. when you move the wheel. So it is not really a touch detector. Some people tape some nickels to one side of the wheel, which fools the system into thinking that you are pulling on the wheel. Light enough pull that the auto-steer can detect and cortrect it, but this effectively disables the "turning off" of the auto-steer.
Note: I am not suggesting anybody should try this!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently traded in my 2020 Bolt Premier for a 2021 Kona EV Ultimate and felt like making a quick video of a feature I wish the Bolt had.
At 1:30 did it stop on it's own? I have an ultimate as well and noticed when I drove it home on the highway for the first time Saturday it felt like it was driving itself with cruise on. It made minor course corrections and took me around a corner, which was pretty wild. I've got autoregen on as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Being an older driver and starting off with hard linkage to the front wheels and feeling the road all the time, It took time to accept power steering I mean it felt like I wasn't driving connected anymore. But I'll be dammed if this new fangled "lane assist" and I aren't always having a tussle on where the car should be on the road. I let it decide and then it goes from green to white leaving me on a poor approach to a turn. On the backroads of New England when there are lines on both sides with the dips and climbs seeing only ground or sky not to mention the yellow rectangles with big black arrows indicating a sharp turn I'm lucky to get 30% green. On the real back roads Kona with no line or on dirt I feel like a kid again. When the steering and GPS map function can be integrated together then maybe I'll be that back seat driver. For now Kona and I'll continue to agree to disagree with me having the last word with a push of the button. - A driver :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I, too, like to drive in the traditional sense of the word.

Kona's "Lane Keeping Assist" is not intended to be autonomous, autopilot or "self driving". If it was it wouldn't prompt you every few seconds to keep your hands on the wheel and there would be a lot more associated functionality, á la Tesla. It is an aid intended for highway use, primarily to combat wandering due to driver boredom and inattention.

Like Olivert2, I've tried it on minor roads. Unsurprisingly, it's not very good and sometimes downright dangerous - to be expected because it's not supposed to be used in those situations. But on long highway drives I find it excellent.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
77 Posts
Ya, I find lane keep assist kind of useless. I either want to not touch the wheel all the time (which would be dangerous for sure) or actually steer. Just keeping my hands on the wheel without actually steering seems pointless to me. I never use it.

·
Registered
Kona EV 64kWh Premium 71 plate
5 Posts
I have had my Kona 64kWh Premium for 3 weeks now and love it. It is my first EV and I am a convert. I have the lane keep function and l like it. I had a tendency to drive more to the right rather than central and it has cured that :)
Couple of pictures of mine.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Wheel

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
Kona EV 64kWh Premium 71 plate
5 Posts
There are times when you may be distracted for a split SE ond and it could save you. I have found it drives around kerb mounted parked cars very well, it is also easy to swerve off course while adjusting a setting, sometimes it takes longer than you think. Very useful on medium to long drives.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.