Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks

That was a great find and will be fun to read away the months before we can actually get a Kona! I am watching lots of Youtube videos and reading reviews and they are all very positive, other than comments about the rear seating and trunk area.

Interestingly enough I sat in a Tesla Model 3 recently and the back seat was NOT good - couldn't even get my toes under the front seat. The trunk space is very good however. There is no doubt that the Model 3 is a beautiful car but for people like me (on the older side of 70!) it is a little low to the ground and the price seems to be growing. I did have a reservation but have since got it back due to my experience.

I had also put down a reservation on a Kona but they do not seem very organized re. handling the process. Tesla was much better. I have had nothing from Hyundai Canada even though the site was run by them. Hopefully things will improve soon.

In the meantime, thanks to Dennis, I can now read the manual first - for a change! :)

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base model with heat pump
53 Posts
The Kona has the same issue with rear passenger toe room under the front seats. OK for kids or smaller people but annoying for anyone else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting thought

I know the Kona is not very good for rear seats but I will wait till I see a "real one" I think regarding the toe area. I am not sure if I can check with the gasoline version. Seems like an odd thing to do when rear room is reasonably important.

The other major factor re. the Tesla 3 was how low to the ground it is. As one ages getting into any car is easy (fall in) but getting out is a bigger issue - the Tesla has an issue in this area that the Kona, being more upright, does not have.

Wonder how the Niro-EV scores in that area? Or the Soul EV?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dennis, that was a great find. Thank you. I've read through much of it and like the way the nannys are/can be configured.

gday, I've tried the back seat in the conventional Kona and it's fine for footroom. Of course we're not sure how the battery will affect that but I'm hoping not. This will be mostly a 1- or 2-person car anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Kona Electric (owned 10 weeks now) does have less rear footroom, that's a fact. You can force your adult-sized shoes under the front seats but there's no room to move them around like you find in the ICE Kona, or just about any other ICE car. Reviewers who just jump in the back seat while talking non-stop are unlikely to notice, Bjorn Nyland being the notable exception with his excellent observations. If you don't mind moving your feet around it might be fine, but I wouldn't like to spend much time there. Kids and and grandmas don't notice.

It's a disappointing compromise on Hyundai's part along with the poor utilisation of both rear trunk underfloor space (mostly styrofoam filling, no spare) and the considerable unused space above the EV power unit that could easily been adapted as a frunk to hold charging cables under the light aluminum hood.

As for nanny features (if I understood that comment correctly) these settings are non-persistent, i.e. must be turned off every start: lane departure warning, lane keeping assist and VESS. My basic model doesn't have Lane Following Assist, which is more refined than LKA. Smart cruise I'm not certain about, but there are situations where I find it can get confused and slam on the brakes, such as rounding a curve (driver's side) where cars are parked along the curb.

One good EV feature is the charge limit setting, which can be set in increments of 10% separately for DC and AC charging. There are timers as well (both departure time for preconditioning and to suit low power rates) but I haven't tried them.

Another EV feature that I find puzzling is that it is a bit overpowered under about 70 kph in anything but ECO or ECO+ modes. It's controllable in a straight line but IMO seems hazardous where an unwary driver can get a nasty surprise. For dragging off other cars from lights it's fun but I'm not sure it's particularly safe. In my case, previously owning a small turbo car, I was accustomed to goosing it to get the turbo spun up but that produces a different result in an EV.

I do like the climate control but noting that mine has the heat pump and I live in a warm climate. Very good blower volume and I like the "driver-only" button.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for that little review. I'm sorry about the loss of foot room in the back seat but I'm not likely to carry adult passengers there for more than a few minutes. I'm curious about your comment on the ability to set charging limits. It looks from the manual as if this feature gives you the ability to set a minimum charge level above which the battery will not charge even if connected to a charger. Does it work that way or does the feature allow you to set an upper limit for the charger? Why would that be convenient?

Interesting comment about the behaviour of cruise control on a corner with cars parked outside. The manual recommends using cruise control only on the open highway, which I interpret to mean motorway. I do sometimes used cruise control on winding two-lane rural roads in my present car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I downloaded the Kona EV manual with the posted link and in the manual it makes reference to a spare tire and not a "mobility kit" (which is a cruel joke).
Without a true spare we will not be driving further from our house than 100 miles as we do not want to find ourselves looking for a hotel and getting the car put on a flat bed tow truck and possibly spending the night in some small town - been there and done that more than once.

This video from Edmunds is excellent in comparing an actual Chevy Bolt to an actual Hyundai Kona EV. Well worth watching. Rear seat space is not adequate for adults but with 4 adults we have two other vehicles that we can and would use instead.

Edmunds compares Hyundai Kona Electric vs Chevy Bolt EV ? Electric Vehicle Wiki

·
Registered
53 Posts
..I'm curious about your comment on the ability to set charging limits. It looks from the manual as if this feature gives you the ability to set a minimum charge level above which the battery will not charge even if connected to a charger. Does it work that way or does the feature allow you to set an upper limit for the charger? Why would that be convenient?
Hmm, the two options you've suggested appear to be the same thing(?) Setting a limit simply makes the EV drop the "EV charging signal" to the charger once that limit has been reached. If the percent is already met, the EV will not accept an offer of a charge unless overruled by pressing a button near the charge port.

If you are connected to a home EVSE that would mean the EV will take current whenever it needs to in order to reach or stay at the level set (10-100%).

If you are on a public pay-type charger, AC or DC, after the EV reaches that percent and stops accepting charge, the charger will terminate your session after the timeout period, often 1 minute.

I use this whenever I'm driving locally and don't need a lot of range, maintaining usually 80% max to keep my battery healthy. I don't want to have to monitor the charger's phone app continually and there is no limit setting on AC chargers (because it doesn't know the percent charge.)

If I was storing the car for over 2 months I would leave it plugged in to the trickle charger and set the max to 60%.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts