Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I encountered a problem with my Hyundai Kona Electric today, after driving about 50km in cold weather there was no air coming from the fans.
Is this normal or, maybe it was to save energy ?
I had the correct temp inside the car but no air coming in, like the system frooze?
I tried to turn up the fan speed to max but nothing happened, it was like the air did not come in to the cabin.

I have the 2020 model with heat pump in Sweden.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 2020
10 Posts
First of all, silly question: did you press the "HEAT" button" ;) .

Then, there might be a problem with the air-temperature sensor inside the lower duct "to the legs". I think Hyundai engineers made a mistake, and placed a "3.0 kOm @ 25°C" NTC sensor instead of a "3.3 kOm @ 25°C" as it should be. So, the "brain" thinks it's already hot, and doesn't give power to the PTC heater.

I had the similar problem with "too-cold blowing to the legs", then I added an extra resistor to that NTC, now it's fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted to add that when I do press 'HEAT', I don't really get any until after driving for about 4 miles. I don't understand this as I thought the heater was a resistance element type.?. If anyone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it. We do have a 2019 model and does not have the so called 'winter package', which I believe more northern locations get. Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like you, our Aussie models don't have the heat pump or "winter package", just the PTC (resistance type) heater element. I find it takes a while for the heat to really come through.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wanted to add that when I do press 'HEAT', I don't really get any until after driving for about 4 miles. I don't understand this as I thought the heater was a resistance element type.?. If anyone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it. We do have a 2019 model and does not have the so called 'winter package', which I believe more northern locations get. Thanks in advance for any comments.
The US Kona EV now has a heat pump, I believe. Mine is a 21 Ultimate and and once or twice behaved a little like my VW eGolf which had a heat pump. With that car, not usually but sometimes the heat would not come on at all for 5-7 minutes vs. the typical very fast heat up. I was told that heat pumps sometimes need to defrost (depending on temp/humidity levels) before they can work. The heat pumps for my house sometimes do this. The resistance heater for my Volt always came on not quite as quickly, but very consistently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turn off auto defrost by holding down front defrost button for a few seconds until "ADS OFF" appears in the top right of the main screen. The heat pump goes into AC mode in winter to defrost window and pushes out cool air. Turn it on if needed but most of the time its too sensitive and comes on when not required.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Turn off auto defrost by holding down front defrost button for a few seconds until "ADS OFF" appears in the top right of the main screen. The heat pump goes into AC mode in winter to defrost window and pushes out cool air. Turn it on if needed but most of the time its too sensitive and comes on when not required.
Interesting. I was actually referring to the heat pump's need to defrost itself (not the windows) if there was frozen condensation on it's coils (if I understand the idea). However, your tip may work if the delay was being caused by the ADS so I will give that a try if I notice a delay. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts