Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Simply yes there is a lever on the back of the key fob, slide it over and pull the top off. The metal key that can be used on the door is reveled. If when you try to start the car all the dashboard lights come on but no fob is detected, then use the base/bottom of the fob (not your finger) to press the start button in making sure your foot is on the brake. I'm guessing this is an NFC type setup. Don't have a fob with a hidden key then call a car locksmith and explain your situation as they know all the tricks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If there are physical door locks on the car, yes. It should be inside the remote key.
Thanks much! There are physical locks on the inside of the doors & a key hole on the outside door handle. I was unaware the 'remote-key' (fob) came apart & on trying & prying I haven't been able to pull it apart to search for a metal mechanical key. On the back of the Kona fob is a tiny thumbnail operated push lever but the many times I have pushed it since Feb 2019 while it moves an 1/8" nothing opens or does anything, except hurt my thumb nail. I'll search the INet for how to access the metal key inside the fob. My old 2004 SAAB has metal key inside the SAAB fob, just never put the two things. 1) 2004 SAAB & 2) 2019 Kona electronic keys together as alike, in my broken old brain. OK, on further effort guided w/ your kind assistance I got the metal key out of the Kona fob by pushing the 1/8" fob lever. It was a struggle, like it was glued in there. And now I have locked the car doors w/ engine & AC operating, so finally success w/ total thanks to you. I should have figured it out on my own as my SAAB works the same way. The sticky fit, metal key in the Kona fob thwarted me. Next car key project will be to get a 2nd 2004 SAAB fob w/ metal key as one set got washed down a street storm drain 3 years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts