Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Europe,

I am about to purchase the Hyundai Kona with the 1.6 turbo engine. I saw and read a few reviews and drive tests and I am a little concerned about the engine noise in the cabin. Some of the reviewers complained about the engine being quite noisy and the cabin not being well insulated so that the engine noise is quite disturbing. I need some non-biased feedback from those who own a 1.6 T-GDI Kona.

Cheers,
Marius

·
Registered
25 Posts
Greetings from Europe,

I am about to purchase the Hyundai Kona with the 1.6 turbo engine. I saw and read a few reviews and drive tests and I am a little concerned about the engine noise in the cabin. Some of the reviewers complained about the engine being quite noisy and the cabin not being well insulated so that the engine noise is quite disturbing. I need some non-biased feedback from those who own a 1.6 T-GDI Kona.

Cheers,
Marius
Hi Marius

We have the 2018 Kona Ultimate with the 1.6T and at first thought it was a bit noisy but it seems to have dissipated now (1350 kms on it) Plus one can get it undercoated to help sound proof the whole vehicle (tire noise) we've been told .....looking to get that done soon!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Greetings.

In my opinion, the problem with professional automotive reviewers is that they make comparisons with vehicles that shouldn't be compared. They will say that cabin noise is loud but they rarely say compared to what. The Kona, in my experience is really no louder in the cabin at speed than most vehicles I've owned - but I am comparing it to vehicles in the same price categories - I am not comparing the cabin noise of a mid-level, sub $30k vehicle with a Lexus, Infinity, or an Audi. Is the cabin as quiet as a vehicle that cost $10-20k more - absolutely not.

Reviewers always make it sound like any vehicle they don't personally appreciate sounds like you are riding inside a blackhawk helicopter with both side doors open or strapped to the front of an a-10 warthog as it is firing.

For what class vehicle the kona is and compared to the other vehicles in its class/price range - it is very similar in cabin noise.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
We own a Kona Ultimate 1.6T with 3500 miles so far. Also done the fires oil change with fully synthetic.

The only thing you will hear from the engines compartment is; the high pressure FI pump upon warm up. It sounds like ticking. The rest you've read is just crapo. It's a great little SUV plain and simple.:smile:

Mahalo and Welcome

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: Green Sub

·
Registered
128 Posts
I listen to music at 3 or 4 on the volume dial (of a possible 40ish) when on the highway. It's in no way loud at all

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also have the 1.6 turbo and find it fairly quiet. You will notice the "ticking" noise when cold but that goes away once it warms up. The tires can get a little noisy on rough concrete but its bearable.
Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Its only loud when its cold.. the colder the louder it is until it warms up.., a few minutes after driving.. Then you cant feel or hardly hear the thing at idle or easy driving..
Its quiet and comfortable when driven normally... Growls when pushed but not obnoxious.. Great everyday composed CUV with an attitude..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same concerns, but it's absolutely fine. Yesterday I drove 200 miles at 90 mph and didn't feel any real discomfort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a video on uTube where the reviewer records a 73 dB level in the cabin at highway cruise. In my experience (2019 Ultimate) most of the sound comes from the tires and poor body insulation which is typical for small, inexpensive vehicles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is a video on uTube where the reviewer records a 73 dB level in the cabin at highway cruise. In my experience (2019 Ultimate) most of the sound comes from the tires and poor body insulation which is typical for small, inexpensive vehicles.
This. At 80mph/128kph on smooth highway- mostly wind noise from around the doors and rear hatch. At city speeds, the tires. Inflating the tires properly helped a lot and the winter tires (non-studded) were hella-noisy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Personally I think it is too quiet. I am probably going to have an axle back exhaust made to get a deep noise and a nice exhaust tip.

The climate control can over power the engine noise when up to temp.

When I am on the highway the noise of my roof rails and snowboard carrier over power the engine noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings.

I have 2018-2019 Hyundai Kona that runs 1.6t.. i would like to know whether any of you guys know whats the problem with my Hyundai. usually when starting the car engine(after being start and turn off the engine after going for a ride and engine already hot) the engine sound when start have the knocking sound(i think comming from the engine) it contineue for less than a minute, then its gone.. After going out, then when engine still hot, when i want to go out, starting the engine, the sound appears again and disappeared after no more than 1 minute. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona SEL
17 Posts
In a previous experience with a 2012 Hyundai Elantra, I had purchased new tires for it at one point and that brought down the interior noise considerably.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In a previous experience with a 2012 Hyundai Elantra, I had purchased new tires for it at one point and that brought down the interior noise considerably.
What tires did you get?

I put a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires on a 2003 Honda Odyssey. Wow...it made a huge difference in the tire noise. I was maybe even thinking about this for replacement tires when mine come due. They are really good on wet roads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts