Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone else have a little knock when they first drive in the morning that only happens a little after you start driving? I get it after I haven't driven it for a couple of hours too. Preferred (SEL), 2.0L, AWD trim.

·
Super Moderator
1,038 Posts
Hard to say what your little “knock” sounds like from here.. but, in general, engines make more noise when cold until everything comes up to operating temps. Some cars have what’s called “piston slap” which is a knocking sound heard until it becomes thermally stable. Most consider this normal and not harmful as long as the noise subsided after a short amount of time.
My 1.6L is loud when cold, but I don’t hear any one type of “knock”.
Welcome to the forum.

Does anyone else have a little knock when they first drive in the morning that only happens a little after you start driving? I get it after I haven't driven it for a couple of hours too. Preferred (SEL), 2.0L, AWD trim.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A pinging knock as you need more octane or a metal thud knock like a motor mount is lose and the motor is hitting something?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A pinging knock as you need more octane or a metal thud knock like a motor mount is lose and the motor is hitting something?
It's a little thud coming from the back of the vehicle. I think it may be the AWD?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to say what your little “knock” sounds like from here.. but, in general, engines make more noise when cold until everything comes up to operating temps. Some cars have what’s called “piston slap” which is a knocking sound heard until it becomes thermally stable. Most consider this normal and not harmful as long as the noise subsided after a short amount of time.
My 1.6L is loud when cold, but I don’t hear any one type of “knock”.
Welcome to the forum.
It's a little thud coming from the back of the vehicle. I think it may be the AWD?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also new to the forum and heads up with the knocking/ piston slap issue.
We have a 2019 Kona SEL AWD model with 21k and definitely has piston slap. Regardless the duration of driving the vehicle the noise does not subside and will only get worse as the mileage increases. I'm going to the dealers. At 21k totally unacceptable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a very faint thud from the back on my FWD 2018 Limited that only appears after you roll about 10 feet and then only again after the vehicle sits for a while. I am a car and it is NOT engine ping and no AWD. It does not do it when pulling away from a stop indicating something rolling around, just first drive after sitting and then ONLY within the first 10 feet and it is in the rear. Nothing really in the rear to make this noise other than wheel bearing and brake pads, and I don't feel its a bearing, so could be a brake pad that repositions if that is even possible. I am confident if I took to a dealer they would say we did not hear anything, so I have just accepted it till it gets worse, if ever.

·
Super Moderator
1,038 Posts
I have a very faint thud from the back on my FWD 2018 Limited that only appears after you roll about 10 feet and then only again after the vehicle sits for a while. I am a car and it is NOT engine ping and no AWD. It does not do it when pulling away from a stop indicating something rolling around, just first drive after sitting and then ONLY within the first 10 feet and it is in the rear. Nothing really in the rear to make this noise other than wheel bearing and brake pads, and I don't feel its a bearing, so could be a brake pad that repositions if that is even possible. I am confident if I took to a dealer they would say we did not hear anything, so I have just accepted it till it gets worse, if ever.
my bet is pads, either stiction from sitting hot and cooling in place, or some expansion slack from being cold.. As long as the problem goes away once warmed up .. sounds normal..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts