Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Has anyone replaced their air filter with the K &N ? Any difference in miles per gallon or performance of some kind ?
JR and I have and a few others in facebook groups, mpg will vary per vehicle due to location and driving habits.

I had mine in then took it out due to it being dusty here for a while but back in and will see what changes I achieve until my CAI is done from the R&D.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed one on mine as well, I'm still on my first tank of fuel though so no clue as to mileage benefits yet...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I installed one on mine as well, I'm still on my first tank of fuel though so no clue as to mileage benefits yet...

Don't do it, K&N's no matter what kind of oil used lets in too much dirt. Modern day airboxes have been flow tested and unless you add a bigger turbo or 1/2 more boost you will gain nothing more then adding more abrasive material into your engine. Just like the OEM oil filter adding a swiss cheese filter does let more dirt into the motor because the holes are larger and there for passes dirt that otherwise would be captured by a proper filter. If getting 1 or maybe 2 hp is worth adding dirt, go right a head. Take out your turbo resonator and add a straight tube and you will be far ahead.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't do it, K&N's no matter what kind of oil used lets in too much dirt. Modern day airboxes have been flow tested and unless you add a bigger turbo or 1/2 more boost you will gain nothing more then adding more abrasive material into your engine. Just like the OEM oil filter adding a swiss cheese filter does let more dirt into the motor because the holes are larger and there for passes dirt that otherwise would be captured by a proper filter. If getting 1 or maybe 2 hp is worth adding dirt, go right a head. Take out your turbo resonator and add a straight tube and you will be far ahead.
Thanks for the concern, I've been using K&N filters with turbos, superchargers etc... for many years now, and yet to have any issues because of them. Where I drive I can go over 30k miles without even having to clean one, so I'm not too concerned with a few extra dirt particles...

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Has anyone replaced their air filter with the K &N ? Any difference in miles per gallon or performance of some kind ?
Yes sir been there done that already. Haven't noticed but it's a little peppier off idle in normal. We average between 36-39 on rural and city roads.:smile:

After comparing the OEM filter and the K & N there isn't much difference except in depth only. I too have been utilizing K & N's in both auto and motorcycles for decades and have yet to find a problem with filtering. There isn't enough conclusive evidence between and OEM & K & N doing a better or worse job of filtering. However, with general everyday experiences and performance in mind, I will opt for the K & N every time. They conclusively show and allow more CFM then an OEM Filter. If you are cleaning and oiling the filter as required, you have nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yes sir been there done that already. Haven't noticed but it's a little peppier off idle in normal. We average between 36-39 on rural and city roads.:smile:

After comparing the OEM filter and the K & N there isn't much difference except in depth only. I too have been utilizing K & N's in both auto and motorcycles for decades and have yet to find a problem with filtering. There isn't enough conclusive evidence between and OEM & K & N doing a better or worse job of filtering. However, with general everyday experiences and performance in mind, I will opt for the K & N every time. They conclusively show and allow more CFM then an OEM Filter. If you are cleaning and oiling the filter as required, you have nothing to be concerned about.

There is too, you just chose not to take the pictures and data of a test I posted. I personally found dirt inside my intakes of my street/race a couple of times and when I went to conventional filters the dirt was gone. We also have regular evidence in oil analysis of dirt with the use of K&N's. But it's your car.... go for it.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
But it's your car.... go for it.
Thanks, I am.

You're right, there are just too many conflicting opinions and tests which haven't proven anything conclusive either way. There wouldn't be enough band width or space on this forum to contain all the pros and con tests or opinions. Appreciate the input but I make my choice on what we've experienced personally and what I know to be true. I've never had any dirt in my intake or air box with either. However, if I was constantly driving off road I would either be changing or cleaning the filters at far shorter intervals.

K & N has always worked well for me with the motorcycles and autos I've owned. I've owned many over my 62 years. Never a failure or problem in over 50 years of racing (off road, track) and general daily road use. I'll stick with it. Another plus, I don't have to keep sinking dollar after dollar into an new air filter every time I decide to change a filter. If the oil gets changed the filter gets cleaned, so it's not a problem for me.

I will say conclusively, the K & N flows far more CFM thru the air box to the intake manifold, then any OEM unit. This is something the OEM's can't provide or claim. Racer's of all sorts have used K & N and better flowing filtration throughout decades of racing with no adverse effects,. So I'll stay with what has been proven time and time again, no matter what the naysayers claim.

Cheers Mahalo!

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
P. S. I will say, I've had OEM air filters get wet and fail over the years primarily due to OEM or aftermarket air boxes not being completely sealed against water penetration. You can see an OEM air filter failure due to water intake pretty plainly and I certainly don't want any of it ingested into the motor. Once they get wet, the OEM air filters loose their capacity to filter correctly and flow is greatly diminished, not so with the K & N. Ask any off roader what they use and why. It will be a aftermarket dense foam or K & N filter.:wink::grin:

What's really funny is; I've seen countless Harleys, vintage motorcycles and club racers with well over 100K and haven't ever seen a filter in their use, neither rebuilt or tore down. Just a velocity stacks with or without a wire mesh screen.:grin: Go figure!:wink: Comes down to one thing; that's what each of us think, primarily.:smile:

Mahalo

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Either way I'm thankful for the variety.:smile: My cup runneth over!!!

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Good, for you.:smile:

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Here's some more real information on the K & N. This will explain what I've been repeating. This is the first time I've actually listened to this video and it has a very good explaination.

Reactions: cmllr

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
You're welcome!

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts