Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1400 miles in and I seem to have the start off hesitation figured out. Now all of a sudden I am having the high rev no go. Not sure if that is a bigger problem than the hesitation. On one occasion I could swear I smelled clutch burning. Is this something I have to figure out how to drive or is this something that needs to be addressed by the dealer. Anyone know the cause?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So every so often you feel reduced acceleration but the motor is reving like normal and at the end of it ......5 to 7 second pull through the gears, after that you go "somethings wrong" that is slower and I think I was slipping". Do you mean that?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the engine revs to around 3000RPM with little forward momentum, then acts as if it is too high of a gear. Whole process takes about 2-3 seconds......an eternity when you have committed yourself to traffic. Has happened about 5 times.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have had a couple of this style too. Most have been when I push too fast to the floor. See if rolling the pedal down a bit slower. Like 2 seconds or 1.5 seconds, not instant. The computer doesn't know what to do, and when it does do something, it is as if the clutch actuator stop letting out the clutch 1/3 way and stops and slips OR the ECU is pulling timing way back like in some form of limp mode.Back in 2016 the Tucson's did it 50% of the time. I still think Hyundai should spend more time in tuning bthe code bon oth the ECU and the DCT computer. They should used faster processors in both ECUs.

Have you pulled the battery cable for 10 minutes to have it relearn the adaptives, that is what Hyundai will do first.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't disconnected the battery yet, going to give it/me some more time to figure out the scenario of what is causing the anomaly.......maybe.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think I have seen 1 or 2 people have this issue and sold their Kona since I have been on here. I just NEVER "think" "I can make it" into fast oncoming traffic, so I almost never get into that situation. The only time it comes up if I am racing some one and I hit the pedal too fast and did not roll on the throttle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no plans to sell my Kona nor do I "ever" pull out thinking/hoping I can make it. It just seems to surprise me when it happens. You know......same route everyday back and forth from work, pull up to the same stop sign that you do every day, check traffic, proceed on your way, same thing every day. Then completely out of the blue and completely random......revs high-no go. Maybe if it did it more often I would be more mindful of it, but it just sneaks up on me without expectation.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have no plans to sell my Kona nor do I "ever" pull out thinking/hoping I can make it. It just seems to surprise me when it happens. You know......same route everyday back and forth from work, pull up to the same stop sign that you do every day, check traffic, proceed on your way, same thing every day. Then completely out of the blue and completely random......revs high-no go. Maybe if it did it more often I would be more mindful of it, but it just sneaks up on me without expectation.
Yep, I hear you, I email Hyundai design center in California about this and of course no answer. It is far better then it was with the Tucson 1.6T's in 2016.
Are you seeing this when you smack the throttle down, or are getting this too if you roll the throttle down in a 2 second roll on ? Can you try to add the 2 second roll on into your testing?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well......I have learned not to "smack down" the throttle because we all know that gets you nowhere. This seems to happen during my "regular" roll on of the throttle that I have learned to do in the last 1400 miles to avoid the hesitation from take off. Must really be a fine line between the hesitation and high rev......still looking for the sweet spot. Kind of funny how driving this car has changed my driving habits of my other cars, I now find myself coming off the brake......wait......roll in throttle with my cars I don't have too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, just exhaust resonator delete and aftermarket muffler. I ask my dealer about the intake resonator delete and got their generic answer of "we dont care........until a warranty issue comes up"

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The intake resonator is not a warranty issue. It been around since 2014 and I found no one saying it has ever been an issue. And it is allowed on Hyundai's own PDF for Veloster N's sent to the dealership on what voids warranties and what does not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is only the second foreign car I have ever owned and my first new one (GM only for over 40yrs) so I am used to how they operate. If this was a chevy they would point at the res delete and say there is your problem. Hence the main reason I am getting away from domestic. I won't give Hyundai a chance to be like them just yet. Keep it stock for now except the exhaust which is a requirement for my cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,011 Posts
Well......I have learned not to "smack down" the throttle because we all know that gets you nowhere. This seems to happen during my "regular" roll on of the throttle that I have learned to do in the last 1400 miles to avoid the hesitation from take off. Must really be a fine line between the hesitation and high rev......still looking for the sweet spot. Kind of funny how driving this car has changed my driving habits of my other cars, I now find myself coming off the brake......wait......roll in throttle with my cars I don't have too.
you must have something out of adjustment or something.. I have not had that issue with starting off.. sometimes there is a hesitation and too much throttle can make it jerky or slip the clutch too much.. abrupt and jerky at times.. but never a time I felt I was in danger of not making it across the intersection in time..
I would mention it to the dealer so u have it on record.. Maybe it logged a code too they can pull.. Not all codes set off the ECL ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had a couple of this style too. Most have been when I push too fast to the floor. See if rolling the pedal down a bit slower. Like 2 seconds or 1.5 seconds, not instant. The computer doesn't know what to do, and when it does do something, it is as if the clutch actuator stop letting out the clutch 1/3 way and stops and slips OR the ECU is pulling timing way back like in some form of limp mode.Back in 2016 the Tucson's did it 50% of the time. I still think Hyundai should spend more time in tuning bthe code bon oth the ECU and the DCT computer. They should used faster processors in both ECUs.

Have you pulled the battery cable for 10 minutes to have it relearn the adaptives, that is what Hyundai will do first.
Hello can you explain a little bit more what you mean by pulling the battery cable for 10 minutes to have it re-learn the adaptive.
What does that exactly mean what does it do? Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had it happen when I first bought mine, but not recently. I do not know if it is because I have adapted to the differences or if it was just a glitch.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hello can you explain a little bit more what you mean by pulling the battery cable for 10 minutes to have it re-learn the adaptive.
What does that exactly mean what does it do? Thank you
Your car learns how you drive and may shift earlier or later. We don't really know how advanced Hyundai has made it, but I doubt it is as advanced as say a Genesis G70 or Veloster N. Sometimes the adaptive programing can get corrupt and make the car act weird. To clear that learned part of your driving you pull the battery cable for 10 minutes and reattach it to relearn how you drive. This is the first thing Hyundai/Kia will do for driving issues. So I always say why waste your time taking a trip when that will be the first thing they will do and unless the driving issue shows itself to the mechanic, you will get your car back with just the adaptives reset. I always say be a bit more agressive with your driving when relearning because sometimes driving like Grandpa is too slow and gear shifting and clutch engagement can seem to work better when things move with a purpose. Not race car fast but a bit more aggressive then Grandpa speed. The you see if after 300 miles it runs better and then go back to your slower style of driving and it will learn that style. But if all of a sudden you have fumbling on starts and weird stuff happening you have a driving style story to tell the mechanic. This is not a for sure thing, it is how I would attack the issue. My car runs better when I am a bit more aggressive. But that just me and my car ia different then most of yours being lowered 2 inches with different springs and suspension work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, looks like my baby is going to the dealer fairly soon. Since my first post I have driven exclusively in normal mode and have not experienced the high rev no go scenario. While driving in normal mode I have experienced several different anomalies, more specifically after pulling out and reaching around 15MPH I get this "bump" that feels like when you dump the clutch in too high of a gear with low RPM. Another issue happens when shifting from reverse to drive. After about 10 feet of forward momentum I get this "bump" that feels the same as mentioned above. I dont feel that I am doing anything different from my learned driving habits from the onset of driving this car. Again just very random and unexpected when this occurs. Pulling the battery cable this morning and will report back next week.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts