Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed a 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT (old Sport = new fake N-Line) lower transmission mount. OH, WHAT A JOY IT IS!!!!:grin::grin::grin::grin:. I knew I needed to do something with the motor flopping around the engine bay, but I did not think it would be such a nice outcome of not feeling the motor flopping around.:grin::grin::grin::grin:.

So the trans mount in the 2019 Elantra GT fake N-Line has been documented to be 24% stiffer then the old Sport Elantra GT. The old Sport 2017-18 had to be stiffer then the Kona Limited/Ultimate. So we could say the mount is 30 to 40% stiffer as a rough estimate then the Kona lower trans mount.

It cost me $85 delivered from one of those online Hyundai dealers that sells stuff cheaper. The part was $67.73 and $16.86 shipping. I had to forgo a returning warranty or they would not sell it to me, because they wanted my VIN # and of course it is for a Elantra GT fake N-Line.

Hyundai Part # 21950-J3000. The key letter that changes is the "J" You want the "J". I did my classic call 3 dealers on a weird parts like this and see if they come up with the same #. The first dealer was wrong and gave me the 2.0 liter non-turbo reg Elantra GT #. So the third dealer confirmed and was a guy who dug and lifted a finger, so I had confidence in him getting me the right #.

The dirt on the old one is Fluid Film that picked up some road dirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Awesomeeee. I might do this soon too... Do you notice more shake at warmup? I know when we have the A/C compressor running and the engine is still cold we get a little shimmy thru the pedal and my only fear with stiffening the mounts is increasing that rumble in the cabin...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 1.6T and I think most Hyundai's use this style strut in most models. So would it fit a 2.0? Most likely. I do feel a bit more vibration , but by no means a high amount. In fact as I said before I could feel my motor flopping around on a regular basis. This new mount stops that and with only a very slight increase in some vibration. Lets just say, I thought I would of felt almost double vibs then what I feel with the new mount, and it keeps the motor in check.

·
Registered
238 Posts
How long did it take to change out, easy access.. etc.. ? Inexpensive enough and reversible.
*Time- 40 minutes in a mechanics garage with "all" the tools on hand (did the job myself).
*Cost- just the part: $30
*Easy access if you lift the front end and remove lower engine cover.
*Difficulty level- Experienced mechanic, and yes easily reversible. Most difficult part was (patiently) shaving the new bushing down a few millimeters with a Dremel tool to match the bushing housing before reassembly.

On my 2019 Ultimate I just changed out the bushings to the 65a durometer for the 2013 Veloster (linked below) and took out ALL the flop. Yes, a bit more engine noise and vibration in the cabin on startups\idle but this was the trade-off for removing the engine\trans squishiness when Sport driving (which is daily). :angel:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-rear-Motor-mount-insert-for-2011-2013-Hyundai-Veloster-PERFORMANCE-65A/111036339993

Gang, don't get me wrong...I LOVE my Kona, but now that I know the N-line of the Tuscon is coming our in 2020, i'm kicking myself (just a little) for not waiting... I do miss the room, cargo space and ground clearance in my old Tucson. However, i'm really smitten with the styling of my Kona. I still get long looks every time I drive it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*Time- 40 minutes in a mechanics garage with "all" the tools on hand (did the job myself).
*Cost- just the part: $30
*Easy access if you lift the front end and remove lower engine cover.
*Difficulty level- Experienced mechanic, and yes easily reversible. Most difficult part was (patiently) shaving the new bushing down a few millimeters with a Dremel tool to match the bushing housing before reassembly.

On my 2019 Ultimate I just changed out the bushings to the 65a durometer for the 2013 Veloster (linked below) and took out ALL the flop. Yes, a bit more engine noise and vibration in the cabin on startups\idle but this was the trade-off for removing the engine\trans squishiness when Sport driving (which is daily). :angel:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-rear-Motor-mount-insert-for-2011-2013-Hyundai-Veloster-PERFORMANCE-65A/111036339993

Gang, don't get me wrong...I LOVE my Kona, but now that I know the N-line of the Tuscon is coming our in 2020, i'm kicking myself (just a little) for not waiting... I do miss the room, cargo space and ground clearance in my old Tucson. However, i'm really smitten with the styling of my Kona. I still get long looks every time I drive it.

Tuscon fake N-Line will be the same as the Elantra GTfake N-Line. (FAKE needs to be added at every point of the N-Line distinction). Stiffer springs, stiffer mounts and different sway bar tuning. Stickers, seat piping and vent broader coloring and badging.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just installed a 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT (old Sport = new fake N-Line) lower transmission mount. OH, WHAT A JOY IT IS!!!!????. I knew I needed to do something with the motor flopping around the engine bay, but I did not think it would be such a nice outcome of not feeling the motor flopping around.????.

So the trans mount in the 2019 Elantra GT fake N-Line has been documented to be 24% stiffer then the old Sport Elantra GT. The old Sport 2017-18 had to be stiffer then the Kona Limited/Ultimate. So we could say the mount is 30 to 40% stiffer as a rough estimate then the Kona lower trans mount.

It cost me $85 delivered from one of those online Hyundai dealers that sells stuff cheaper. The part was $67.73 and $16.86 shipping. I had to forgo a returning warranty or they would not sell it to me, because they wanted my VIN # and of course it is for a Elantra GT fake N-Line.

Hyundai Part # 21950-J3000. The key letter that changes is the "J" You want the "J". I did my classic call 3 dealers on a weird parts like this and see if they come up with the same #. The first dealer was wrong and gave me the 2.0 liter non-turbo reg Elantra GT #. So the third dealer confirmed and was a guy who dug and lifted a finger, so I had confidence in him getting me the right #.

The dirt on the old one is Fluid Film that picked up some road dirt.
I wonder how much different your Fake elantra GT mount is different then the oe 19+ Veloster N, reason i ask is this video:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow , I don't feel mine is moving all over like that video. I would say that 's what my Kona one felt like. Logic dictates the Veloster N is stiffer or the same as my newer N-Line mount. I may tape a trail camera under and check it out. The quality wont be as good but we will see how much it moves. Or I will Gorilla tape my older iPhone in for a ride.

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
So.. how much more noise/vibes are you experiencing with those mounts ?
All that movement is power lost, not to mention the rubbery feel.. That video is an eye opener.. thanks in advance. @TelemetryGeo says little change in noise/vibes with his mod..

Wow , I don't feel mine is moving all over like that video. I would say that 's what my Kona one felt like. Logic dictates the Veloster N is stiffer or the same as my newer N-Line mount. I may tape a trail camera under and check it out. The quality wont be as good but we will see how much it moves. Or I will Gorilla tape my older iPhone in for a ride.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My new N-Line feels stiff, slight movement, but what I saw on the video is what my Kona mount felt like. I want to video tape mine, and see what it is doing. You feel more vibration, but it is livable.

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
And if you look closely, you can see the slight twisting of the control arm under hard acceleration.
with the V8 crowd, it’s left front up, right rear down with hard launch from tq.. The transverse mounted 4 is front to back motion and it feels like it pulls the fronts up evenly and unloads the tires while the rears dangle uselessly.. lol.. but I still don’t regret my fwd choice..

·
Registered
238 Posts
So.. how much more noise/vibes are you experiencing with those mounts ?
All that movement is power lost, not to mention the rubbery feel.. That video is an eye opener.. thanks in advance. @TelemetryGeo says little change in noise/vibes with his mod..
Yep, the vibration and noise is just a moderate increase, maybe +10% but well worth the firmness you get back from the torque during launch and harder shifting. The 65A (green $25) bushing I installed is probably a bit softer than the Boomba kit ($160 yikes!!) I see advertised and from what I observed in the video. If I wanted to get a little closer to matching it, i'd upgrade to the 75A red bushing ($25) shown below. But i'm really pleased with what I've got now. You know...F**k it, just ordered it. If anyone wants the 65A bushings (ready to install), let me know. They'll be availbe after xmas. ;-)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, the vibration and noise is just a moderate increase, maybe +10% but well worth the firmness you get back from the torque during launch and harder shifting. The 65A (green $25) bushing I installed is probably a bit softer than the Boomba kit ($160 yikes!!) I see advertised and from what I observed in the video. If I wanted to get a little closer to matching it, i'd upgrade to the 75A red bushing ($25) shown below. But i'm really pleased with what I've got now. You know...F**k it, just ordered it. If anyone wants the 65A bushings (ready to install), let me know. They'll be availbe after xmas. ;-)

View attachment 3514
Good, keep us up to date with a review.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts