Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new 2019 and while driving it home (for the 1st time) I was alarmed at high speed when there was a definite detectable wobble that really concerned me. Common practice for other imports is for dealership to perform an alignment after car is removed from the freighter shipping where it will have likely been on shipping blocks to protect the springs. I should have asked the dealer prior to paying if this had been done. Instead I asked afterwards. Dealer is not saying it wasn't done. They said not necessary. I feel it should have been done.

Has anyone tried to get a no-charge alignment post-purchase? Successful? Would Hyundai USA be helpful if my dealer is not?

Thanks for considering!

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Congrats on your new Kona and Welcome..
You should have no trouble getting you're car aligned under warranty in this case..
A wobble might be a bent wheel or out of round tire.. New cars that sit for a long time in the same place can develop a flat spot. This would cause your "wobble" sound.. They usually go away after some time and use..
Some flat spots can be permanent.. This will all be covered with a New car..
Good luck..

Just purchased a new 2019 and while driving it home (for the 1st time) I was alarmed at high speed when there was a definite detectable wobble that really concerned me. Common practice for other imports is for dealership to perform an alignment after car is removed from the freighter shipping where it will have likely been on shipping blocks to protect the springs. I should have asked the dealer prior to paying if this had been done. Instead I asked afterwards. Dealer is not saying it wasn't done. They said not necessary. I feel it should have been done.

Has anyone tried to get a no-charge alignment post-purchase? Successful? Would Hyundai USA be helpful if my dealer is not?

Thanks for considering!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wobble is usually not an alignment issue. That would be a bent rim, loose lug nuts, improper tire air pressure, or some other issue with the tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I also just got a new 2019 Kona and I am having the same issue you are describing. It basically feels like the car is being pushed around by strong winds on the freeway (and it is not windy out). Did you ever determine what the problem was and did you get it fixed?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hello. I also just got a new 2019 Kona and I am having the same issue you are describing. It basically feels like the car is being pushed around by strong winds on the freeway (and it is not windy out). Did you ever determine what the problem was and did you get it fixed?
Check your air pressure. I bet its very high, and the dealership didnt lower it to proper pressure. The high tire pressure is to prevent flat spots while the car sits at the dealership.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When you say "wobble", make me think you have a loose wheel. I have had my kona for 3 weeks and notice it gets upset easily with cross winds (pushed around). That being said, I live in a city where 30mph wind are common and have become accustomed to steering wheel death grip. But really, check those wheels. On a side note my car did come with 60psi. Was noisy and road rough until i lowered to 33psi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts