Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...new guy here. Sorry if this is a redundant question on this forum but I couldn't find a way to search the forum for it. I'm looking hard at a new Kona Limited to replace my 19-yr. old RAV4 which has been an exceptional vehicle for me. I have driven stick shift for 5 decades now and I would surely like to continue - are there any rumors about Hyundai releasing a 1.6T Kona with a stick shift anytime soon? I understand that a DCT is the next best thing and I think I could get to enjoy it but I really want that third pedal. And how about an "N" version? Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
I doubt the Kona will ever be offered with a manual here in the states.. The DCT is close enough and there just isn’t many looking for a true manual.. at least not with this type of car.. The DCT is certainly worthy of a test drive if you haven’t already.. Fun to drive solidly built car.. Good luck..

OK...new guy here. Sorry if this is a redundant question on this forum but I couldn't find a way to search the forum for it. I'm looking hard at a new Kona Limited to replace my 19-yr. old RAV4 which has been an exceptional vehicle for me. I have driven stick shift for 5 decades now and I would surely like to continue - are there any rumors about Hyundai releasing a 1.6T Kona with a stick shift anytime soon? I understand that a DCT is the next best thing and I think I could get to enjoy it but I really want that third pedal. And how about an "N" version? Anyone?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I doubt you'll ever see a Kona (from Hyundai anyhow) in the USA with a manual. Virtually all true "sports cars" (Porsche, Corvette, Lambo's, Maseratti's, etc) now sell virtually only automatics, and increasingly the traditional 3 pedal manual is not even an option any more. The automatics, and particularly the PDK's and DCT's are faster in every measured performance category. I taught all my kids to drive manuals, because it is an increasingly rare skill to find in today's youth (under ~35).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, pretty much what I expected. You might get a laugh out of this bumper sticker currently residing on my venerable RAV4...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great bumper sticker! I too had a 17 year old Rav that got passed down. I've had my Limited AWD Turbo exactly a year. Love love love it but oh how I long to drive it in manual. The feel is very similar, but that's nowhere near being the same as truly driving one, being one with the engine. If you're close to BC or Canada try asking those dealers if they have or anticipate any. My neighbor drives an Accent I believe and a north WA state dealer got it for her from Vancouver, BC., but that was quite a few years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm actually in Austin TX although I've lived in central Maine in the late 90's. Here in TX the Hyundai dealers look at me like I have two heads when I ask for an AWD Kona to test drive. I don't know that I need the AWD version but I'm quite interested in the independent rear suspension that comes with it...at least I think I am. With no AWD Kona's to test drive I can't make a comparison. This has kept me from committing to a new Kona; that and I know I'd miss my stick shift even though I get that the DCT is the next best thing. I'll keep looking...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2019 Ultimate FWD, I have driven the AWD and all I noticed is that it was decidedly slower, the ride seemed just as harsh with 18" wheels on both. I have changed my wheels and tires going from 18' - 16" and couldn't be happier since I gained sidewall and lost 7.5 lbs per corner.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts