Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Premium from January 2019, bought on August 1 2020
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I searched the forum for an answer to my question, but i could not find one, so here it is:

It is about the number of KWh on the invoices for my charged on public charge points.
I live in the center of an old city, and can only load at public charge points.
With every session I keep track of how many KWh is loaded, based on the percentage what has been loaded. When 50% was loaded, i write down 32KWh (for my 2019 Kona 64KW).
The invoice though charges me on average 21.5% more, so iso 32 KWh, I am charged for 38,88 KWh loaded (when the care is loaded from 50 to 100%).

Checking on losses of the AC/DC converter, I find that that is a few percent at max.
Is there a logic explanation for this difference of 21.5%?

Thanks for helping me out,
Peer

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
253 Posts
Losses through heat
Usage during charging i.e are you sitting in the car with AC or heat on?
Straight up scamming?

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
222 Posts
Don’t know but perhaps is a time charge?

In some (most?) countries I’ve noticed they add a fee for each minute of connected time on top of the actual electricity cost. Have you checked if the chargers you are using do this? It would add a lot if you are charging to 100%, as the last 20% is very slow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Losses through heat
Usage during charging i.e are you sitting in the car with AC or heat on?
Straight up scamming?
No, I leave the car when it is loading, no extra usage.
I load with different chargers of different companies, and they all do it. One more then the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don’t know but perhaps is a time charge?

In some (most?) countries I’ve noticed they add a fee for each minute of connected time on top of the actual electricity cost. Have you checked if the chargers you are using do this? It would add a lot if you are charging to 100%, as the last 20% is very slow.
Have to check that if the time at the charger is billed as extra KWh.

·
Super Moderator
1,150 Posts
I would think Hyundai is giving you a lower capacity rating then what actually exists.. especially since the EV is new for them, reputation is everything ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think Hyundai is giving you a lower capacity rating then what actually exists.. especially since the EV is new for them, reputation is everything ..
Not sure if it is something from Hyundai. The average in 17 loading sessions between the information from the car and the invoices is 21,5%, but with a minimum of 10% and a max of 163% (one session I loaded 16% or 10.21 KWh, and the invoice shows 26.97 KWh for that session), so the range between different loading sessions is quite big. That would probably not be the case if it was something in the soft- or hardware of the car.
It might be that the time that you load is calculated in extra KWh. I have sent out a question to one of the companies of the charge stations, but they did not yet answer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts