Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had the car for a week and got an interior protection package on it as well as some other things.

I am having a REALLY bad time with the front windscreen fogging up - its almost like there is this oily film on it.

I clean it probably every second day and especially if I am driving into the sun in the afternoon because it gets to the point where i basically can not see to drive.

Cleaning it fixes it for a day or two but as soon as its left outside in the warmth for few hours its back.

From some investigation this is known as overgassing and its definitely not limited to the Kona but has anyone got suggestions for how to fix it or limit it because after spending a decent amount of cash I wouldn't expect to have to clean my windscreen constantly just to drive!

Also - do Kona's in the U.S. have an auto-up feature on the drivers side window. This is missing here in Oz which frustrates me because even a basic shitbox for 10 grand has that feature. The salesperson just shrugged, rolled her eyes and said "Korean safety feature" but for reals...why do it?

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Yes, we have an auto up window for both drivers and passenger windows in the Ultimate trim. (Top of the line). it's not a safety feature that's just a crock and rubbish.

Don't have a fogging problem here in NM. Do you live by the coast? It's coming spring down there isn't it?

Clean the inside windscreen with rubbing alcohol first and use newspaper or a new micro cloth as the cleaning cloth. Go to amazon and purchase either;

Rain-X 630046 Interior Glass Anti-Fog - 12 fl. oz.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-63004...588369&sr=8-3&keywords=glass+cleaner+anti+fog

Invisible Glass Anti-Fog Windshield Treatment - 3.5 oz, 91471

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Gl...588369&sr=8-7&keywords=glass+cleaner+anti+fog

This may solve the issue.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we have an auto up window for both drivers and passenger windows in the Ultimate trim. (Top of the line). it's not a safety feature that's just a crock and rubbish.

Don't have a fogging problem here in NM. Do you live by the coast? It's coming spring down there isn't it?

Clean the inside windscreen with rubbing alcohol first and use newspaper or a new micro cloth as the cleaning cloth. Go to amazon and purchase either;

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-63004...588369&sr=8-3&keywords=glass+cleaner+anti+fog

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Gl...588369&sr=8-7&keywords=glass+cleaner+anti+fog

Blessings and Peace
Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated. Still kind of cold here, high 30's most mornings.

I mentioned the interior treatment because I am wondering if thats adding to the problem by evaporating onto the windshield when it warms up during the day?

It's more than condensation or fog that can be wiped off or blasted with hot air to decrease it (which doesn't work at all), I have to actually clean it with window cleaner at least twice to shift it for a few days.

·
Registered
244 Posts
First the what you state is the film created from all the plastic inside and yes the interior treatment you had done only adds to the problem as you are adding in more chemicals and oils . This is normal as the plastic is releasing this and in time it will diminish to nothing as mine did to over the months now and now almost nothing but it is hot here so it will happen faster vs being cold.

I cleaned the glass with water and a dish soap (light amount) on a clean cloth then wiped it down with a clean wet cloth and then a good paper towel.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Blessings and Peace
I've got auto up/down windows on my SEL w/tech package clunker......lol. Its awesome.
Peace
Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First the what you state is the film created from all the plastic inside and yes the interior treatment you had done only adds to the problem as you are adding in more chemicals and oils . This is normal as the plastic is releasing this and in time it will diminish to nothing as mine did to over the months now and now almost nothing but it is hot here so it will happen faster vs being cold.

I cleaned the glass with water and a dish soap (light amount) on a clean cloth then wiped it down with a clean wet cloth and then a good paper towel.
Oh good - glad its not just me.

Thanks for that.

Stuffed if I know why Australian (and probably UK) cars don't have auto-up!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I've got auto up/down windows on my SEL w/tech package clunker......lol. Its awesome.
Peace
Mark
Mark, I can only speak about the Ultimate, as I don't know about the other trims.:wink::smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
278 Posts
Oh good - glad its not just me.

Thanks for that.

Stuffed if I know why Australian (and probably UK) cars don't have auto-up!:rolleyes:
It's a "Feature" on the elite and highlander.

Give it time and it will come as a part you can buy from ebay.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Never heard of this fogging inside ? Sure you do not smell anit-freeze too? Never had or heard of anyone with this fogging. Only if heater did not operate ! If you drive the vehicle cold, in cold conditions I can see it happening, but with heater on defroster ? How can anyone think this is normal ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have some significant fogging on the inside of my windshield. Figured It was a coating from the factory or something. At some point I'll clean it off.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Never heard of this fogging inside ? Sure you do not smell anit-freeze too? Never had or heard of anyone with this fogging. Only if heater did not operate ! If you drive the vehicle cold, in cold conditions I can see it happening, but with heater on defroster ? How can anyone think this is normal ?
His heater coil wouldn't be leaking, he'd see or feel water on the passenger carpet.

It happens from the dealer sometimes when they've not cleaned the inside of the windows at all or well. They put a plastic film over the inside and outside of the windows and most of the exposed body parts to preclude scratching when they ship vehicles. When it's removed it leaves a film or residue on the windscreen. If he lives near the coast this can also exacerbate the problem at certain times of the year, especially during the winter.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem. The inside window has a film on it which cuts down on the visibility. Also outside the window in medium to heavy rain it fogs up fast and I can't see a thing. I use the wipers on high and the defroster which helps but still not perfect. My old Subaru always was clean as long as I had the air-conditioner on. Nothing helps here.

Also the fan for the defroster activates the floor as well so the amount of air hitting the window is minimal compared to what I'm used to with other cars.

I will take it to the service dept to see what they have to say. I appreciate the suggestions posted.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I don't know which model you have but if it's the Ultimate cycle thru the setting until it shows just the defroster (Center Button) on the heater console. Then you won't have to contend with it on the floor as well.

Clean the inside of the wind shield as I suggested earlier in this thread and apply the fogging treatment, it will do wonders for the issue. :smile:

Blessings and Peace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts