1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's called buying a car with little to know knowledge on the car. Or buying the Kona N until you can get your hands on the Elantra N.

I bought a Elantra Sports only 6 later from the original date of purchase. Some people change cars regularly because they want something newer. Those people should stop buying cars and start leasing them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've installed coilovers on my last few cars. The Bilstein PSS9 setup on my old GLI was amazing because it had adjustable dampening. The ride of my Kona N kind of reminds me of the different settings I'd utilize for track and street. Obviously much easier to make any adjustments on the N.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I checked out a couple different websites and the Kona N value even used isn't that bad, basically MSRP. Go look up the Elantra N, that car used value is over 40K on average and there are more Elantra N that are available than Kona N.

Just because there are 10 or so used Kona N across the country doesn't mean squat.

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked out a couple different websites and the Kona N value even used isn't that bad, basically MSRP. Go look up the Elantra N, that car used value is over 40K on average and there are more Elantra N that are available than Kona N.

Just because there are 10 or so used Kona N across the country doesn't mean squat.
There were even more Veloster N's in this early buyers remorse selling, since Hyundai dealers thought the Veloster N was an Exotic, and they would not let people even drive it, until they paid for it. Back then, the thing Hyundai should of done is have a Veloster N test car make the rounds at the local dealerships for a "test drive day". Then move it to another dealer, so one car was thrashed and had all the miles on it. Then sell it as a demo car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There were even more Veloster N's in this early buyers remorse selling, since Hyundai dealers thought the Veloster N was an Exotic, and they would not let people even drive it, until they paid for it. Back then, the thing Hyundai should of done is have a Veloster N test car make the rounds at the local dealerships for a "test drive day". Then move it to another dealer, so one car was thrashed and had all the miles on it. Then sell it as a demo car.
That’s weird because I got to test drive it and didn’t have to buy it.Dealership that do that are scrubs and wouldn’t get my business. From my experience with dealerships it’s a matter of presentation. It’s why I have been able to test drive almost any car I want.

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A lot of people were complaining about not being able to drive the Veloster N back then, and they had to buy it. Yea, that was weird. Many people said they walked, and went to a dealer who would work with them. But, by now most dealers know the N is a car and not an exotic, so most are not acting like that. Some could have been from a younger 1.6 Veloster crowd too, that HAS the money, but the dealer did not see a viable buyer. Happened to me multiple times at the Audi dealership when I was younger. Kind of funny, the dealership was very near the richest area in Minnesota where there are "trust fund kids" galore. I would of thought the dealer would known if the kid looks like he can't afford it "daddy" could will just buy it for him in a millisecond. I guess I should of worn my "deck shoes" and "Chris-Craft" polo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think a lot of people simply don’t understand this car, and it’s evident on YouTube. Like a solid quarter of the videos are guys “testing” it without using many of the features. I’ve seen multiple “races” and “acceleration tests” where the people didn’t even use launch control, the N modes, or NGS…then they have the audacity to be like “wow this car isn’t as fast as Hyundai claims! Just buy a GTI!” or things along those lines. There’s also one review where some dude just complains about the ride for 10 minutes, doesn’t test the performance, and says it’s not an ideal family hauler…to which I’m just like “no s**t dude go get a RAV 4” haha.

The fact of the matter is you aren’t getting the full experience without using the N features and the driving experience is largely dependent on them. Matt Maran made a really good point when he said you need to be sure to use the N modes on a test drive or you might be disappointed. The normal, eco, and even sport settings are surprisingly tame. Which is a good thing, the car is supposed to have a dual personality.

Stiffness is another potential hang up. I live in DC and full N mode is unusable here…but again, you need to understand the car. It’s easy to set your custom mode to the softest suspension with everything else cranked up. It’s what I do, and my fiancée who is decidedly not a car person thinks it’s more comfortable to road trip in than my GTI was. I trust her opinion because the performance aspects don’t matter to her at all but the comfort is priority numero uno.

I really think people just don’t understand this car. It’s an enthusiast vehicle first and a practical vehicle second. If you go in expecting that and know how to use the unique N features than you’ll be impressed. If you go in expecting it to be a practical family hauler and don’t care or understand how to access the performance, then…yeah, you’ll be disappointed, but that’s your fault, not the car’s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts