Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, you said I don't know how warranties work, and I do. I think you don't, so I just stated that. Then you told me how everything goes, so I added how I think it goes, Not a big deal, just don't keep dropping the F bomb on a family site though.
I literally have had hyundai warranty my car that had a full wall in with 30 speakers and they paid to fix a new engine a new fuel pump and catalytic converter and paid for my rental which ironically was base model kona lol. I didnt have to spend a dime.so yeah its not a race car and they don't have ecu tunes for this car for smartstream engines so ajb4 and e85 and 24 psi will have to do .I'm telling I have experienced this warranty with good results first hand.literally !! My current car the n line .it's already been serviced they know I have the jb4 full exhaust and full car stereo ..they said it won't cost anything to fix..it just depends on the dealer

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I literally have had hyundai warranty my car that had a full wall in with 30 speakers and they paid to fix a new engine a new fuel pump and catalytic converter and paid for my rental which ironically was base model kona lol. I didnt have to spend a dime.so yeah its not a race car and they don't have ecu tunes for this car for smartstream engines so ajb4 and e85 and 24 psi will have to do .I'm telling I have experienced this warranty with good results first hand.literally !! My current car the n line .it's already been serviced they know I have the jb4 full exhaust and full car stereo ..they said it won't cost anything to fix..it just depends on the dealer
Speaker and cat back exhaust have nothing to with the engine, and are not warranty breaking parts anyway, so not an issue there. The way you worded it sounded like Burger Motorsport was warranting your motor if it tanked. So that how I commented about it. At $600 a unit and pushing some really good boost they will have some motor issues where Hyundai did not build a specific motor and it tanks, where it may not at 17 lbs OEM. Burger could not incure the risk to warranty all the motors on the cars they sell units to. The #s don't add up. When I had a DTE piggyback on mine they had a warranty and there is no way I expected they would every pay IF my motor tanked. They will weasel their way out of it as I stated in my post. There are a few "good" dealers that look the other way, but they a few and far between. I have a good repore with my service manager and he told me the mechanics have to document any items that alter boost, and it sticks to the VIN# of the car and if a warrantied issue of a tanked comes up they have it documented. Most do it this way. The customer is mostly never told their car has this documentation. My dealer will give you one warning to pull it off or make sure it is not on when he sees it. My car has never been in the shop since I do all my own work as I had a hobby Audi repair shop when younger.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Look at all I’ve done to my 22 Limited and have never had an issue with my warranty. Sounds like someone had a bad experience and now they are trying to apply it to everyone else. Ive gotten some good advice on here and some really bad advice on here! Take it all in and use your best judgment! 😉
You have 2022. It is an infant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Speaker and cat back exhaust have nothing to with the engine, so not an issue there. The way you worded it sounded like Burger Motorsport was warranting your motor if it tanked. So that how I commented about it. At $600 a unit and pushing some really good boost they will have some motor issues where Hyundai did not build a specific motor and it tanks, where it may not at 17 lbs OEM. Burger could not incure the risk to warranty all the motors on the cars they sell units to. The #s don't add up. When I had a DTE piggyback on mine they had a warranty and there is no way I expected they would every pay IF my motor tanked. They will weasel their way out of it as I stated in my post. There are a few "good" dealers that look the other way, but they a few and far between. I have a good repore with my service manager and he told me the mechanics have to document any items that alter boost, and it sticks to the VIN# of the car and if a warrantied issue of a tanked comes up they have it documented. Most do it this way. The customer is mostly never told their car has this documentation. My dealer will give you one warning to pull it off or make sure it is not on when he sees it. My car has never been in the shop since I do all my own work as I had a hobby Audi repair shop when younger.
I'm literally talking about a dealership but even more to the point.i am willing to pay even if it isn't covered ..federal law says they have to prove any mod made actually caused the fault to be able to void a warranty..I was most Def not talking about bms 😂 .I dont know which part is hard nonetheless.they know I have a jb4 .it's not going to cost me anything it's not complicated

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I'm literally talking about a dealership but even more to the point.i am willing to pay even if it isn't covered ..federal law says they have to prove any mod made actually caused the fault to be able to void a warranty..I was most Def not talking about bms 😂 .I dont know which part is hard nonetheless.they know I have a jb4 .it's not going to cost me anything it's not complicated
Sweeping generalitys on the blanket Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act are very easy to say.😂 So much more nuanced then your rapid fire statement of your facts. Say you use a Fram Ultra oil filter and a tanked Hyundai motor at 14,000 miles and they say you have an aftermarket high filtering oil filter we don't think we can warranty your motor, because we feel it reduced oil flow as they filter better then the Hyundai OEM filter. Fram has engineering test stating the Fram Ultra flow far better then the Hyundai OEM filter and filters far better. Hyundai knows it doesn't have a chance as their is credible documentation by Fram engineers that proves this. Clearly the MMWA works without issue. It happen to me with my wife's 2013 Hyundai 1.8. I like you, wiped out MMWA and they shut their mouth and I never heard another word. Full long block replacement.

I don't fear warranty stuff as I drove home after picking up my new Kona and dumped the OEM junk Hyundai filter and put on a Fram Ultra. A new engine needs a good filtering filter and the Fram Ultra is far better then the OEM filter in filtering and flow. They use to post the filtering spec, but they were so bad they pulled the posted specs off the Hyundai site. I never figured out why they posted it as what the heck would they want to post those bad #s for, nothing to be proud about. Most of the wear damage is done on a fresh motor knocking down the cross-hatching on the cylinder walls by the piston rings.

But then lets say you tank your motor and Hyundai says nope we are not giving you a new motor you have a piggyback tune that far exceeds the boost level and doubles the stress on the engine. And we clearly state this voids warranty. They turn around and walk away. Seen it done on a Genesis Coupe years ago when I went to help a guy from work deal with this at the dealer, since I had the car background more then he did. The service manager said, if you want to take us to court I will give you Hyundai Legal's phone #. This is clearly damage from over boost and I am not going to warranty it. He and I put in a new bone yard engine after waiting 7 month for one to become available back in the day.

You say you will fight it and use the MMWA in your defense. Hyundai says to the judge here is our documentation on the added stress level 24 psi boost does to our engines. Then they will say the motor was never designed for this type of stress. . They have ALL the data, you have none. Cut an dried case done in 5 minutes. They just saved $10,000 motor on a $2,500 court case.😂

More complicated then you think.😂

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sweeping generalitys on the blanket Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act are very easy to say.😂 So much more nuanced then your rapid fire statement of your facts. Say you use a Fram Ultra oil filter and a tanked Hyundai motor at 14,000 miles and they say you have an aftermarket high filtering oil filter we don't think we can warranty your motor, because we feel it reduced oil flow as they filter better then the Hyundai OEM filter. Fram has engineering test stating the Fram Ultra flow far better then the Hyundai OEM filter and filters far better. Hyundai knows it doesn't have a chance as their is credible documentation by Fram engineers that proves this. Clearly the MMWA works without issue. It happen to me with my wife's 2013 Hyundai 1.8. I like you, wiped out MMWA and they shut their mouth and I never heard another word. Full long block replacement.

I don't fear warranty stuff as I drove home after picking up my new Kona and dumped the OEM junk Hyundai filter and put on a Fram Ultra. A new engine needs a good filtering filter and the Fram Ultra is far better then the OEM filter in filtering and flow. They use to post the filtering spec, but they were so bad they pulled the posted specs off the Hyundai site. I never figured out why they posted it as what the heck would they want to post those bad #s for, nothing to be proud about. Most of the wear damage is done on a fresh motor knocking down the cross-hatching on the cylinder walls by the piston rings.

But then lets say you tank your motor and Hyundai says nope we are not giving you a new motor you have a piggyback tune that far exceeds the boost level and doubles the stress on the engine. And we clearly state this voids warranty. They turn around and walk away. Seen it done on a Genesis Coupe years ago when I went to help a guy from work deal with this at the dealer, since I had the car background more then he did. The service manager said, if you want to take us to court I will give you Hyundai Legal's phone #. This is clearly damage from over boost and I am not going to warranty it. He and I put in a new bone yard engine after waiting 7 month for one to become available back in the day.

You say you will fight it and use the MMWA in your defense. Hyundai says to the judge here is our documentation on the added stress level 24 psi boost does to our engines. Then they will say the motor was never designed for this type of stress. . They have ALL the data, you have none. Cut an dried case done in 5 minutes. They just saved $10,000 motor on a $2,500 court case.😂

More complicated then you think.😂
Update for you "kind" sir..the car was at the dealer with the jb4 on the car ..they said to come take it off and did they did a warranty claim no money all free besides the 10 min drive to dealer . Like I said it just depends where you go..they only wanted the jb4 off for pictures if corporate asked for them. So actually much less complicated 🤷🏿‍♂️ brand new turbo ,$ 0.00 !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also installed a JB4 on my n-line but I'll never go up to 24+ psi on stock engine internals. Plenty of evidence our engine can't handle that much boost for long.

As far as I know from reading through other forms regarding JB4, most dealers won't check for boost levels unless your motor blows or transmission fails, in that case they won't replace it under warranty as they can read that you pushed it over the 17.5 -ish OEM max boost. So, majority of the car components can be fixed or replaced under waranty but when it comes to the biggest two, you are most likely out of luck.

I would look into forged internals beofore going over 21 max psi on daily basis and upraged transmission when trying to reach closer to 300hp/torque.
--

Anyways, AFE has the has Axle back, Tuner, and CAI for sale on their site. They have the CAI listed under 2018-2021 Kona but, its the same engine bay.

The Scorcher apears to work the same as the JB4 but I went with the JB4 because is has alot more history with GDI engines and more options (data logging, fuel & wmi addons, & custom tune options).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I literally blew my turbo took it to the dealership with the jb4 on the car .they called me the same day and said just come take the jb4 off and didn't cost me anything turbo is being installed this weekend . Where is the evidence because currently I'm only getting trust me bro as your source

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also installed a JB4 on my n-line but I'll never go up to 24+ psi on stock engine internals. Plenty of evidence our engine can't handle that much boost for long.

As far as I know from reading through other forms regarding JB4, most dealers won't check for boost levels unless your motor blows or transmission fails, in that case they won't replace it under warranty as they can read that you pushed it over the 17.5 -ish OEM max boost. So, majority of the car components can be fixed or replaced under waranty but when it comes to the biggest two, you are most likely out of luck.

I would look into forged internals beofore going over 21 max psi on daily basis and upraged transmission when trying to reach closer to 300hp/torque.
--

Anyways, AFE has the has Axle back, Tuner, and CAI for sale on their site. They have the CAI listed under 2018-2021 Kona but, its the same engine bay.

The Scorcher apears to work the same as the JB4 but I went with the JB4 because is has alot more history with GDI engines and more options (data logging, fuel & wmi addons, & custom tune options).
You cannot use that afe intake with a smart stream motor it has sensors that don't allow it to be enclosed .the physical size of the engine isn't relevant . You would know that if you looked because I would already have one if it worked
You're right lol, all we have is anecdotal reports from other 1.6T owners experiences (including yours). From what I've read I'd sonsider you lucky. I didn't know your dealership was so chill ;)
They really are I had to be honest because I came in for my first oil change at approximately 3k miles a week before it blew so they it was there ..so lying would have only made things worse. I can post the dealer estimate for the repairs and diagnostic showing what's wrong and I'll post monday when I pick it the paperwork and show it was all warrantied .sure I'm not the best example but I won't make the mistake of trying to bullshit people for like and clout🤷🏿‍♂️. But at this given their detection methods would it matter at this point to take it off for its gonna he modulation..last off topic I am sorry to everyone

·
Registered
5 Posts
You cannot use that afe intake with a smart stream motor it has sensors that don't allow it to be enclosed .the physical size of the engine isn't relevant . You would know that if you looked because I would already have one if it worked
I saw a couple of videos of people attaching the oem sensors to their aftermarket/custom intake, I was thinking about doing the same thing lol. The sensors sit on a little bridge/adapter between the airbox and the intake tube.

They really are I had to be honest because I came in for my first oil change at approximately 3k miles a week before it blew so they it was there ..so lying would have only made things worse. I can post the dealer estimate for the repairs and diagnostic showing what's wrong and I'll post monday when I pick it the paperwork and show it was all warrantied .sure I'm not the best example but I won't make the mistake of trying to bullshit people for like and clout🤷🏿‍♂️. But at this given their detection methods would it matter at this point to take it off for its gonna he modulation..last off topic I am sorry to everyone
You're good brov, fingers crossed it goes the same for the rest of us.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw a couple of videos of people attaching the oem sensors to their aftermarket/custom intake, I was thinking about doing the same thing lol. The sensors sit on a little bridge/adapter between the airbox and the intake tube.

You're good brov, fingers crossed it goes the same for the rest of us.
I was thinking the same thing as well about the intake ..🤔🤔🤔 good to know I have searched and thought that might work ..I will look into that asap thank you for tidbit..much appreciated. Just have to get my downpipe I'm going to running a veloster n intercooler
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

Drinkware Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine

Tread Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Synthetic rubber

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts