Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone received notification from their insurance company that their rates are going up on their Kona N and if so by how much.

My monthly rates has nearly doubled since I acquired my Kona N. The latest notice I received from my insurance company is an increase in my premium due to changes to the Kona N vehicle insurance group rating for collision and comprehensive.

I wonder if the insurance rating changes are due to the theft of Hyundai and Kia that don't have a immobilizer and are not push button start.

Given my car is garaged and has push button start I wasn't expecting such a hike in my insurance rates but was expecting a small increase due to Hyundai being targeted for car theft and damage.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What was your previous car?

My prior car insurance cost has nothing to do with the Kona N insurance cost. I got quoted a set amount in June and my policy annual review was up coming this December. I just received the next 6 month cost and it has increased by almost 100% of what I paid during the first 6 months. If your policy has not renewed yet, you may see an increase as well.

I did check around to see if I could get a lower cost and nope. What I'm paying is actually quite low and I have above average coverage. To get the same coverage through Amica, Liberty Mutual, etc... I would pay an additional 25-50% more than what I'm paying now.

I was simply wondering if others seen a cost increase for their insurance premium and if so, by what percentage.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the hyundai theft vehicles are not push button vehicles, so that shouldn't apply. Its probably going from CUV/SUV to a sport rating.
The Kona N maybe not stolen but it can still be broken into because the thief didn't look properly at the car to see if it was push button or not and that is still an insurance claim.

Called my insurance agent and she told me the following. Kia and Hyundai were the top manufactures that are seeing the highest cost increases for collision and comprehensive coverage. Next up are RAM, Nissan, BMW and Jeep. According the my agent, these changes are a result of actual collected repairs cost to fix specific manufacture models. She even went to state that Hyundai and Kia rates have the biggest increase she has seen in her 15+ years in insurance.

With all that said, basically the real world cost is Hyundai is being stolen and damaged and to make up for the insurance companies loss, owners of Hyundai and Kia will be sharing this increase in their monthly premium. Those with push button will not see as much of an increase. Those without will probably have even higher rates.

My car is garaged other than when I'm driving it. So I'm not worried about it getting stolen. And if someone does steal it, oh well I'll just shut the car down with MyHyundai. Call the cops, give them the car location and let them deal with it. Than work with my local dealership and insurance agent to get my car on the road.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I can't even imagane what
The Kona N maybe not stolen but it can still be broken into because the thief didn't look properly at the car to see if it was push button or not and that is still an insurance claim.

Called my insurance agent and she told me the following. Kia and Hyundai were the top manufactures that are seeing the highest cost increases for collision and comprehensive coverage. Next up are RAM, Nissan, BMW and Jeep. According the my agent, these changes are a result of actual collected repairs cost to fix specific manufacture models. She even went to state that Hyundai and Kia rates have the biggest increase she has seen in her 15+ years in insurance.

With all that said, basically the real world cost is Hyundai is being stolen and damaged and to make up for the insurance companies loss, owners of Hyundai and Kia will be sharing this increase in their monthly premium. Those with push button will not see as much of an increase. Those without will probably have even higher rates.
Well, thanks for posting this, as at least I have an idea why my insurance will climb to that high degree. We also will get tagged on our other branded car too. I don't believe inflation is at what they say 7.X ish % I see too much stuff 25+% out what appears to be price gouging.

This happened to me on my Redline Oil I use for my Kona (5w-30 Red Line Performance"ester based" Euro), in 8 months it went from $12.97 qt to $16.97 qt. Too high a price for me. Switched to..........I just bought 3) 5 liter jugs of Motul 8100-Clean Gen2 5w-40 when it was on a flash sale on Amazon. With tax it worked out to $8 a liter. Wish I would bought 4 jugs as the Kona 1.6T takes 4 liters exactly with the filter.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't even imagane what

Well, thanks for posting this, as at least I have an idea why my insurance will climb to that high degree. We also will get tagged on our other branded car too. I don't believe inflation is at what they say 7.X ish % I see too much stuff 25+% out what appears to be price gouging.

This happened to me on my Redline Oil I use for my Kona (5w-30 Red Line Performance"ester based" Euro), in 8 months it went from $12.97 qt to $16.97 qt. Too high a price for me. Switched to..........I just bought 3) 5 liter jugs of Motul 8100-Clean Gen2 5w-40 when it was on a flash sale on Amazon. With tax it worked out to $8 a liter. Wish I would bought 4 jugs as the Kona 1.6T takes 4 liters exactly with the filter.
I feel your pain. Paid $100+ for an oil change that use to cost me $70. Eggs were just $2 a carton and now $5 where I am at. Milk was $3 and now $6. Wages for most entry level employees were $14 and now sit around $20+. Average salary was around $45K and now climbing to above $65k. Housing average was around $200K now sitting on over $300K. All of this in under 3 years.

The problem I see is that the top 1% wealth increases at a faster rate than the bottom 80%. I'm all for someone making money, but not at the cost of the middle class being destroyed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The rates may be raising as insurance companies gather more data on the Ns. When it comes to brand new models the amount of data that they have is limited. As claims/statistics start rolling in they adjust accordingly…and the Kona N has been unusually cheap to insure for its power so far because of the fact that it’s a light weight, 4 door, 4 cylinder CUV with lots of standard safety features.

But I’d imagine companies are catching up by now. I’ll keep an eye on my rate and let you all know if it also goes up. I’m due to renew in a month.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
may be raising as insurance companies gather more data on the Ns. When it comes to brand new models the amount of data that they have is limited. As claims/statistics start rolling in they adjust accordingly…and the Kona N has been unusually cheap to insure for its power so far because of the fact that it’s a light weight, 4 door, 4 cylinder CUV with lots of standard safety features.

But I’d imagine companies are catching up by now. I’ll keep an eye on my rate and let you all know if it also goes up. I’m due to renew in a month.
My insurance agent told me that the car is classified as a Kona even though Hyundai consider all N models as a unique model. She told me that the adjustment increase was for all Kona models and Hyundai in general. I'm guessing it is due to the actual damage cost people paying due to the theft and collision happening vs. estimating what it would cost to replace. Lack of parts and inflation also has an impact to these cost which doesn't help us with our insurance pricing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hello. I live in NJ. One of the Highest Car Insurance Rates in the country. My Policy is through Progressive. Along with a Motorcycle. I get a Discount. My Rate jumped back in Feb almost $100 to Almost $600 on the 19 Kona. August Renewal on a 22 Kona SEL is just under $700 for 6 months of Full Coverage. Mine is a Lease.I have been with Progressive for probably 10 years now??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts