Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a 10.25 unit that came off from 2021 Hyundai kona to install into my 2020 kona that has factory 7 inch unit.

the installation seems fine and everything seems to work however I don’t get any sound. Is this something to do with wiring.
Also, the new unit has an extra plug that I didn’t have for my factory unit. (See photo) not sure what that would be for.

Any help would be appreciated
New one (with extra plug)

Old one:

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
759 Posts
Well its not a 2021 radio, but a 2022, which is the redesign. Your missing the amp, the signal wires, the sat/nav antenna connection, and the 2 extra ground wires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a swap that is almost impossible on Hyundai/KIA vehicles. Most Car makers use one harness for all the models in their line up and leave redundant plugs in place. On the other hand Hyundai/KIA seem to use a model specific harness. Making it impossible to upgrade to the navigation unit for the models that don't have it. It has been attempted by multiple members on both forums with no success. One guy on the elantra forums spent a long time even fabricating his own harness. I don't think he was entirely successful.

Pat.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
This is a swap that is almost impossible on Hyundai/KIA vehicles. Most Car makers use one harness for all the models in their line up and leave redundant plugs in place. On the other hand Hyundai/KIA seem to use a model specific harness. Making it impossible to upgrade to the navigation unit for the models that don't have it. It has been attempted by multiple members on both forums with no success. One guy on the elantra forums spent a long time even fabricating his own harness. I don't he was entirely successful.

Pat.
Yep, with completely different wiring. Kind of a F'ed up way to do it. But hey, Hyundai can't build 75% of their engine models from blowing up on 14 to 25 of their cars. Why would standardization make sense to this company. I installed 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport seats in my 2018 Kona and all the seat and airbag wiring is ALL different. So no airbags. I did that with an Audi and the seats just plugged right in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes , missing the amplifier , which is located under the front set. But its not a matter of just getting any audio amplifier.
In laymans terms. The output from your old unit, is an audio signal that goes to your speakers or a standard amplifier if you want bigger better performance.
The output from the new upgraded unit, is a digital signal that feeds to a special decoder/amplifier before feeding the speakers.
In other words , you would need Hyundai specific amplifier and then correctly configure the wiring.
I have looked into this , everything works ,sat nav, channel search. except the sound.. My biggest issue would be where to interface the volume control.
Goodluck with this. Keep us posted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts