Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
1: Air temperature at the intake, stock vs short ram, a nice sunny 95+ degree day.
2: 0-60, stock vs short ram, same conditions as 1.

Will do, but this morning its was is the 30's when i woke up, so this may have to wait till next summer. However, a quick drive down the testing lane at work shows this: So at 49 degrees F outside temp, at 101 mph, with an engine temp of 179 degrees F while at 13.1 lbs of boost, the intake temp at just before the throttle body is 57 degree F. So a difference of 8 degrees F. Just 8 degree difference between outside temp and TB temp. That's after the air goes through a short intake pipe, compressed in a turbo, pushed out the other side, into the OE intercooler, out the other side and up into the tb and manifold. That's a distance of approx 11 feet of piping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will do, but this morning its was is the 30's when i woke up, so this may have to wait till next summer. However, a quick drive down the testing lane at work shows this: So at 49 degrees F outside temp, at 101 mph, with an engine temp of 179 degrees F while at 13.1 lbs of boost, the intake temp at just before the throttle body is 57 degree F. So a difference of 8 degrees F. Just 8 degree difference between outside temp and TB temp. That's after the air goes through a short intake pipe, compressed in a turbo, pushed out the other side, into the OE intercooler, out the other side and up into the tb and manifold. That's a distance of approx 11 feet of piping.
No special rush; tires are probably more important to me at this stage to (hopefully) reduce wheel slip/improve handling than adding more hp. Not surprised the intercooler is able to do its job effectively on a cool day, just concerned from MT's Santa Fe test I linked earlier that the short ram intake might exacerbate the issues they observed under those conditions. To put it another way, I'm not looking to gain power in cooler parts of the year at the expense of those hot summer days when things already going to be stressed. If you can demonstrate that its not a concern, so much the better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
21 - 25 of 25 Posts