Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't suppose anyone has picked one of these up just yet? Curious as to what kind of real world improvement one might expect over stock.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't suppose anyone has picked one of these up just yet? Curious as to what kind of real world improvement one might expect over stock.
Well, According to Injen, its a 19hp increase over stock. I have a different kind of intake, its noticable, but wont know for sure till the car is dyno'd in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well, According to Injen, its a 19hp increase over stock. I have a different kind of intake, its noticable, but wont know for sure till the car is dyno'd in 2 weeks.
Do you have a pull from YOUR stock motor, or are you going to switch it out at the test? 19hp seems a bit wishful on a stock 1.6T . Now if it had a larger turbo, ported head, a downpipe and 3 inch exhaust and another 6 lbs boost, I could see it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking at the product page it's
Dyno Proven gains of up to 12 hp and 12 lb-ft. of torque
not 19hp.

Of course, having now perused the install guide, it’s mildly amusing that this “CAI” pulls air from the engine bay while the stock intake appears to actually be pulling cool outside air.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a pull from YOUR stock motor, or are you going to switch it out at the test? 19hp seems a bit wishful on a stock 1.6T . Now if it had a larger turbo, ported head, a downpipe and 3 inch exhaust and another 6 lbs boost, I could see it.
In general (boost+14.7) / 14.7 X N/A power. 6 more psi would be far more then 19hp. I wouldn't be able to just switch intakes to see the difference as i have other supporting mods that would be harder to reverse. However, those supporting mods are more about efficiency, rather than raw tq or hp. Maybe we should make a Dyno thread, so each person can post their specific dyno #'s and take the average as a running total.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the product page it's

not 19hp.

Of course, having now perused the install guide, it’s mildly amusing that this “CAI” pulls air from the engine bay while the stock intake appears to actually be pulling cool outside air.
Good Catch. i miss read it. Though i agree its not really a CAI, the intake temps after the turbo would make any initial cold air significantly warmer. Also my intake uses a filter more then twice the size of the injen, and does connect to the lower outlet of the stock airbox, so i kinda get outside air, but im sure its negligible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there even a point for a short air ram intake? Wouldn't a cold air intake work better? When I drive my Kona, it sure gets really hot. I don't think it would be healthy to have my intake sucking in this hot air.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there even a point for a short air ram intake? Wouldn't a cold air intake work better? When I drive my Kona, it sure gets really hot. I don't think it would be healthy to have my intake sucking in this hot air.
Thats the point of an Intercooler on the turbo model.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thats the point of an Intercooler on the turbo model.
I think you misunderstood me, the intercooler indeed does keep the engine cool, but heat from the engine still does come out. With a short air ram intake (since it doesn’t poke outside like a cold air intake) it then takes all the heat from inside the engine bay into the intake. Technically that isn’t healthy air. So yes the intercooler keeps it at optimal operating temperature so the engine doesn’t overheat but the engine still disperses heat into the engine bay.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you misunderstood me, the intercooler indeed does keep the engine cool, but heat from the engine still does come out. With a short air ram intake (since it doesn’t poke outside like a cold air intake) it then takes all the heat from inside the engine bay into the intake. Technically that isn’t healthy air. So yes the intercooler keeps it at optimal operating temperature so the engine doesn’t overheat but the engine still disperses heat into the engine bay.

Thats way off, The intercooler is what cools air from the turbo before it goes into the throttle body. The intercooler sits below the radiator and condenser. It doesn't prevent the engine from overheating, thats the radiator.

Now with your theory, someone with a Cold air intake on a hot summer day, that heat radiating off the blacktop is going to be very very hot. If thats the air your talking about, then by all means, make your intake to sit there.

Now in my old car, i had both a cold air intake, and a warm air intake, and the difference in 1/4 mile times was less then 0.05 seconds. Thats negligible imho.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Intercoolers have their limits with respect to heat soak though, and a short ram intake seems like it'd exacerbate that relative to the stock setup.

When its 125 degrees outside (Summer here), How does your cold intake work when road temps are above that. Heat soak might be a problem if your sitting still, but once you start moving, the temps will start dropping, as air passing through the core, takes the heat with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When its 125 degrees outside (Summer here), How does your cold intake work when road temps are above that.
I'm talking about the stock setup, which has its intake just below the hood, not especially close to the road. OTOH, how hot is the air in the engine compartment on a 125 degree summer day?

Heat soak might be a problem if your sitting still, but once you start moving, the temps will start dropping, as air passing through the core, takes the heat with it.
Have you actually tested that in a meaningful way? I know in this test, heat soak had a marked impact on the performance of a turbo Santa Fe:

I wouldn't expect switching to a warm air intake to be a good thing under those conditions..

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm talking about the stock setup, which has its intake just below the hood, not especially close to the road. OTOH, how hot is the air in the engine compartment on a 125 degree summer day?

Have you actually tested that in a meaningful way? I know in this test, heat soak had a marked impact on the performance of a turbo Santa Fe:

I wouldn't expect switching to a warm air intake to be a good thing under those conditions..
Well,
1) My air intake/vs outside temp is clearly metered on my dash.
2) Clearly my years of auto racing, designing and building parts is completely wrong, and all other people that run their turbo charged vehicles with filters inside the engine compartment, or heck, dont even run a pipe and filter are all wrong. Its usually done like that for a host of reasons including space constraints. Apparently major race teams are less worried about air temps, when an intercooler is installed, because a properly designed intercooler will drop intake air temps to below atmosphere temps, with little to no pressure drop.

As far as im concerned, A property of compression is heat. The more your turbo compresses air (psi) with the impeller the more heat it produces. Its not the hot turbo that heats the air, its the compression of air that produces heat. It does not matter if you have installed a cold air intake, when the air gets compressed by the turbo molecules friction releases heat by physics.

Better install a short ram intake with laminar flow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fantastic, then you should be able to answer my question. How hot is the air in the engine compartment on a 125 degree day vs the ambient air?

2) Clearly my years of auto racing, designing and building parts is completely wrong, and all other people that run their turbo charged vehicles with filters inside the engine compartment, or heck, dont even run a pipe and filter are all wrong. Its usually done like that for a host of reasons including space constraints. Apparently major race teams are less worried about air temps, when an intercooler is installed, because a properly designed intercooler will drop intake air temps to below atmosphere temps, with little to no pressure drop.

etc....etc....etc...
Seems like a long, roundabout way of saying that no, you haven't in fact tested to see whether or not heat soak has become more of an issue with your short ram intake vs the Kona's stock setup. What major race teams, high end tuners, etc. can pull off is irrelevant given that they aren't typically working with the stock turbo/intercooler of an economy car.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems like a long, roundabout way of saying that no, you haven't in fact tested to see whether or not heat soak has become more of an issue with your short ram intake vs the Kona's stock setup. What major race teams, high end tuners, etc. can pull off is irrelevant given that they aren't typically working with the stock turbo/intercooler of an economy car.
Actually i have, and with a pipe (Carbon Fiber) that doesn't get heat soak. and the nomex core plate, while running both an ambient air temp sensor, two PLX intake air temp sensor, and the OE intake sensor, which btw is just before the throttle body, I can log before turbo, after turbo, after intercooler, and intake manifold temps. I can also log EGT's, o2 data, boost pressure, timing, throttle position, pedal sensor, lift pump pressure, fuel temp before and after the high temp pump, oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp both in the head, the block, and the radiator.

So how would you like me to correlate the data for you?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well,

As far as im concerned, A property of compression is heat. The more your turbo compresses air (psi) with the impeller the more heat it produces. Its not the hot turbo that heats the air, its the compression of air that produces heat. It does not matter if you have installed a cold air intake, when the air gets compressed by the turbo molecules friction releases heat by physics.

Better install a short ram intake with laminar flow.

BEAUTIFUL, WELL DONE !!!!!! But the $$$$$$ ouch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts