Hyundai Kona Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Registered
I pulled the trigger and an the proud owner of a 2020 Limited.

Thunder Gray
FWD

Sorry for the stock pics. It was raining (again) when I picked it up. These are pics from the dealership, but it is this exact one in the pics. I will wash it up and post real ones.

I was able to make a really nice deal with them. Along with the $2,750 incentives and some other price adjustments...they really wanted this thing off the lot. Along with some bargaining, they "threw-in" front window tinting and the vague 100KMi service plan (oil changes and 40K and 80K service). They did have down "synthetic" for the oil changes on the sheet they showed me Whatever...it was "free."

/start: ramble

I started off with a 2019 SEL with the Tech Package (what the SEL Plus is for 2020) and loved it. I was pleased with all of the "bells and whistles" from the Tech Package. The only thing I was ever wondering about was the DCT. I picked the 2.0 mpfi because of the transmission. Also, when I purchased the 2019, they did not have any just FWD turbos. They only had AWD and that omits the spare tire. Sorry, I've got to have a spare if I hit a pothole that bends the wheel... no amount of "Fix-A-Flat" would help me if that happened.

So... The dealership was really willing to bargain on a few of their Limited's on the lot. Since the COVID-19 "protocol" was in effect, I was able to test drive the Limited without fear of making my salesperson/passenger mess up my seats. 馃槈

I can talk about this all night, but I do have to say that the turbo engine and the DCT are solid for this car. I've read all the "horror stores" about DCT where people have tried to destroy the DCT by driving it "wrong" (stop-and-go traffic, parking lot maneuvers, starting and backing up an incline). All I can say is that it comes very natural in the way the clutch engages. You will feel when the clutch starts to "bite" by the engine sound. Just feather into the throttle in slow moving situations and it will be just fine. (I guess this is for anyone that is wondering about how the DCT performs vs. a "Standard Automatic" / torque converter transmission.)

If it matters, I spent a little over 2 hours test driving. I put myself into stop-and-go rush hour traffic. I went to the best hills and parking lots trying to make it fail. Listen to the engine when going slow and you really can't go wrong.

The 1.6 is just as smooth as the 2.0. I never noticed any harshness in the usable RPM range of the 1.6 turbo. Now...there are a lot of plasticky-kinda sounds when it is cold. The 2.0 had a similar sound, but both have plastic intake manifolds and other stuff that should be cast.

I do have to say that I am quite impressed with the engine-transmission combo that Hyundai put into this vehicle. I tried every situation where others have complained about the DCT transmission. Now, I grew up driving manuals, so I'm sure that plays into it, but I cannot stress how good this setup is at hitting the correct gear. It is a freaking automatic !!! The clutch take up is predictable. Don't floor it all the time !!!

I'm sure that I will run into some "hiccups" along my journey, but from what I "forced" into it (on the test drive--speed and throttle input) and expected to get out of it, is actually better than a slush-box typical automatic. I could even "trip-up" the six speed auto in the SEL I had, so every automatic transmission will guess wrong at some point. During my test drive, I put it in some situations where I stomped the throttle and it did go every time Now, if you use the throttle to your advantage, you can make sure that that decent forward acceleration is always available. Pressing down into it, rather than just flooring it, is what this transmission/engine combination is all about.

/ramble: end

The OP's question was if anyone would buy it again. Well, I did. Never been happier.

Registered
That Covid deal that lets you go out without the saleperson is great! He told us a loop to make. Well, I half intentionally missed the right turn that would take us back (wife & I) to dealership. Instead I sorta knew the area we were in (couple hours from home). We drove it plenty more than the usual salesperson loop that does nothing and doesn't allow you to really get comfortable with car.

I have used a local guy in past. When I want to drive a car, he fills me out a paper and tells me to take it for a couple days. He KNOWS that is a sale if I keep it overnight.

Congrats on the new Kona.

Super Moderator
After 2 years of ownership .. I still Find it fun to drive and wearing well.. I would still pick the Kona over others in its class if I was to buy another one today..

Super Moderator
Congrats on your new limited.. I鈥檓 impressed by how well the DCT shifts in normal mode, I鈥檓 talking Lexus smooth shifts that are quick and no slippage.. As long as your not having to downshift more than one gear with A lot of throttle, it downshifts very quick and smooth. otherwise it does hesitate a bit and can be a jerky engagement ..
The front tires are easy to unload with the FWD. Going to get some sticky Yokohama鈥檚 when I鈥檓 up for new shoes.. overall the DCT works very well with the 1.6T

I pulled the trigger and an the proud owner of a 2020 Limited.

Thunder Gray
FWD

I'm sure that I will run into some "hiccups" along my journey, but from what I "forced" into it (on the test drive--speed and throttle input) and expected to get out of it, is actually better than a slush-box typical automatic. I could even "trip-up" the six speed auto in the SEL I had, so every automatic transmission will guess wrong at some point. During my test drive, I put it in some situations where I stomped the throttle and it did go every time Now, if you use the throttle to your advantage, you can make sure that that decent forward acceleration is always available. Pressing down into it, rather than just flooring it, is what this transmission/engine combination is all about.

/ramble: end

The OP's question was if anyone would buy it again. Well, I did. Never been happier.

Registered
I certainly agree with Bad~Papa on the engine and transmission combo. This thing is just fun to drive.

I've had it for about a month now and I wind up driving much faster than I should because of how smooth the power delivery is on this thing. It has never had any "hiccup" with the transmission. It changes gears cleanly and I don't even really notice it when it does change gears-- even in city driving. It always has had the right gear for my driving style. When I have asked it to kick down more than one gear...it is just like a slush box automatic... you kinda have to wait for it to engage--but when it does..hold on !!

I've had no problems with driving the DCT in city traffic and the turbo power (torque) comes on seamlessly when above 1,800 RPM. Point it in the direction you want to go and it will get you there effortlessly.

I leave the car in "normal" mode and and only have engaged "sport" mode once. It kinda scared me as I was in city traffic and the thing took off like a rocket. I quickly gained my composure and figured I would try out sport mode another day. :)

My "professional" opinion between the two (I had a 2019 2.0 MPFI 6 Speed-- and now the 2020 1.6 turbo GDI 7 speed DCT) is that I should have had the 1.6 turbo all along. The 2.0 was good, but this adds a lot more fun to any commute or road trip. With my driving, I was averaging about 35mpg on the 2.0 and with the 1.6 I'm averaging 33.

Mine came with the Goodyear tires and they seem to stick pretty well. The only thing is that I wish that the torque steer was a bit better managed. I don't have enough time behind the wheel, but the FWD with all the torque can make a corner very exciting when the power changes sides.

Super Moderator
The torque steer is an issue with the FWD turbo.. Would love to have a limited slip diff... but don鈥檛 expect one at least in the trim levels they have now.. As long as you鈥檙e expecting it... its not too bad to keep in line.. but it does make you take notice, for sure..

I certainly agree with Bad~Papa on the engine and transmission combo. This thing is just fun to drive.

I've had it for about a month now and I wind up driving much faster than I should because of how smooth the power delivery is on this thing. It has never had any "hiccup" with the transmission. It changes gears cleanly and I don't even really notice it when it does change gears-- even in city driving. It always has had the right gear for my driving style. When I have asked it to kick down more than one gear...it is just like a slush box automatic... you kinda have to wait for it to engage--but when it does..hold on !!

I've had no problems with driving the DCT in city traffic and the turbo power (torque) comes on seamlessly when above 1,800 RPM. Point it in the direction you want to go and it will get you there effortlessly.

I leave the car in "normal" mode and and only have engaged "sport" mode once. It kinda scared me as I was in city traffic and the thing took off like a rocket. I quickly gained my composure and figured I would try out sport mode another day. :)

My "professional" opinion between the two (I had a 2019 2.0 MPFI 6 Speed-- and now the 2020 1.6 turbo GDI 7 speed DCT) is that I should have had the 1.6 turbo all along. The 2.0 was good, but this adds a lot more fun to any commute or road trip. With my driving, I was averaging about 35mpg on the 2.0 and with the 1.6 I'm averaging 33.

Mine came with the Goodyear tires and they seem to stick pretty well. The only thing is that I wish that the torque steer was a bit better managed. I don't have enough time behind the wheel, but the FWD with all the torque can make a corner very exciting when the power changes sides.

Registered
I would get the new Kia Seltos unless the Kona gets the same update. I like the 8 inch display but the Kia screen integration and the 10 inch display would win it for me. I would much rather have the Bose system from the Kia Seltos than the infinity sound system that comes in my Kona. But that's just me sounding spoiled :p

Lower the Seltos, get the same engine, have a nicer and more spacious interior, and thats just a better Kona imo
I don't like the Seltos' CvT.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts