Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would get another Kona Unlimited but with the all wheel drive this time and if the Kona N was available I would get it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm concerned about gas in the oil. Knowing that, I probably wouldn't buy the Kona. I wanted a Honda but they had the oil problem a few years back. I wanted the Forester but my wife wanted something small and so I put my money on the Kona. It's fun to drive but it owns me and tells me what I'm doing wrong when I drive it. I have a hard time trusting the rear camera but I know it works well...I'm an old person.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Fuel in the oil even at a level of 7% is a non issue. I have the problem with my Kona and knew when I bought my Kona I was going to have the problem, and a bad problem at that since I short tip in Minnesota winters, I warm up my car for 4 minutes everyday in winter and I am on boost more then most, racing around. I have no wear issues at all, even having the worse case scenario then anyone on this forum or the Honda forums. I bought a 10 pack of testing kits from Polaris Labs and worked with one of their oil analysts that raced Hyundai's. While working with him he told me about a client he worked exclusively with that had 35 delivery vans that were in the 8%to 9% range They watched all the vans for a while with no issues as far as wear. Then watched some of the vans long term with no issues into the 200,000 mile range. They have stopped testing and the owners has no worries about fuel in the oil anymore.

There was a Honda turbo guy all worried about fuel in the oil on BITOG oil site and he found out before me as he was done with his testing and I was in the middle when I talked to him. I have yet to find anyone with wear issue with common GDI turbo fuel in the oil problems. Everything Honda has tried has basically failed on fixing the problem as will anything Hyundai will do will do nothing, because fuel dilution is the nature of the beast in a GDI turbo.

I would say (after testing at least once) worry more about keeping your car clean from salt would be far far more worthy thing to worry about, then fuel dilution in oil. You do need to change your oil at a max of 4,000 miles in the winter and 5,000 in the summer in my opinion. I change mine at 3,000miles in the winter and 3,000 to 3,500 in the summer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My shortlist would be
Hyundai Kona Ultimate AWD (current)
Kona EV
Kona N
Seltos SX

Intrigued by Teslas, but still too far out of my reach cost wise.

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
No, Kia's SELTOS is basically a slightly bigger kona!
If the Kona N comes out... I would be back :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
YES, absolutely would get another Kona! I’ve asked myself this question before too haha. Love my Ultimate in Surf Blue. Only thing would be if I had to get another one, I’d consider the hybrid since I spend so much money on gas. The hybrid wasn’t available where I am last year when I bought my car and it still isn’t available here now. Only the electric is available.
I also wish the Ultimate trim would come in the contrasting roof color schemes. Would love my surf blue with the black roof like they have in the SEL trim.

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
YES, absolutely would get another Kona! I’ve asked myself this question before too haha. Love my Ultimate in Surf Blue. Only thing would be if I had to get another one, I’d consider the hybrid since I spend so much money on gas. The hybrid wasn’t available where I am last year when I bought my car and it still isn’t available here now. Only the electric is available.
I also wish the Ultimate trim would come in the contrasting roof color schemes. Would love my surf blue with the black roof like they have in the SEL trim.

$500 of wrapping your roof could fix that ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually like my Kona limited very much, however it's just a little snug for me . Would like to go back to a Tucson of they make a turbo available again

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Kona
65 Posts
Without a doubt it would be another Kona. I used to sell Hyundai vehicles and have been driving them since 1993.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought mine last Friday, so yeah probably. I was super tempted to wait for the Kona N, but honestly the 1.6t is just quick enough. This car drives better than my 06 Civic Si ever did!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I just bought mine last Friday, so yeah probably. I was super tempted to wait for the Kona N, but honestly the 1.6t is just quick enough. This car drives better than my 06 Civic Si ever did!
We are not sure the Kona N will make it to North America. There is a small rumor it is a Euro only car. North America will be stuck with an N-Line Kona with our luck. I saw a posting that a couple of Hyundai reps said the Kona N will not make it to NA. We don't know if this is true, or a false rumor, time will tell.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, here's something to make you cry... (and answer your question)

Was on the Interstate last week during a rain storm. Fool was hauling butt in the left lane, he hit a puddle/hydroplaned right into me. He sideswiped/knocked me off the road surface (he hit my driver's side).

It was like a NASCAR finish with both cars pretty much sideways. He won. He stayed on the road surface and kept on going (hit-and-run). I wound up off-roading then bouncing off a concrete overpass/bridge barrier.

Not even a year old. The irony is that Hyundai sent me an e-mail the day after this happened to thank me for one year.

I walked away. Sore as all get out, but no broken bones or cuts.

So.... I'm looking for a new car now. I hope Hyundai has some good incentives right now as I loved this car. I will definitely get another Kona.

Mine was an SEL with Tech package. Should I save-up and get the Limited over the SEL?

All of the stuff on the windshield is everything that fell off the car after impact (this pic was taken at the tow yard). You can't really tell, but the passenger side front wheel is stuffed into the firewall.

The odd thing about it is that the battery came out of the vehicle. I had no power for flashers or interior lights as the battery was literally 20 feet further down the road.

The passenger door was still closed after impact. Conveniently, everything I had in the car was on the floorboard after the impact :p so I had to yank it open to get stuff out of the car and the door would not close again.

There was not any intrusion into the passenger space.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Glad you made it out ok. Wow, nice hard hit, and she took it well. The battery thing is very interesting. But it makes total sense, with weight and inertia. I am surprised the battery is not metal strapped down vs the cheap lower plate wedge or wimpy metal J hook clamp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the battery "box" is connected to an engine mount on the driver's side. I would guess that I broke everything in front of the firewall...including the engine mounts.

It was just a little disconcerting that I had no power after impact. I'm glad I didn't end up in a lane of traffic with no warning lights/hazard flashers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sheesh that looks bad, glad you're ok as well. All the soreness gone? I'm assuming insurance is going to issue a decent sized check to help you out with a new one. I've personally never driven the SE and SEL drivetrain so I can't tell you whether it is worth it to jump to the limited model, but if you want a little more luxury like leather seats and a little more power from that turbo, I think it would be nice. But to reiterate, glad you're ok and hopefully all the pain/soreness associated with the accident is gone

·
Registered
55 Posts
How awful for you! Very reassuring that the car protected you, considering the extensive damage.

If I had to replace my 2019 Ultimate I would just get the newer model with adaptive cruise. The HUD has become a 'must have' feature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From a quick glance at the local dealer's on line inventory, I think I will "step-up" to the ultimate. Right now they have about $3,000 in "rebates/bonus cash" for the Limited and Ultimate. There are about 5 Limited models at the local dealer and I'm gonna go down and see what they can do this weekend.

The "bonus cash" for the Limited is a lot more than for the SEL Plus. That makes up for any difference in price...to a point.

Insurance came through. The only "silver lining" is that since it was a hit-and-run, my deductible was cut in half. Since the car was only 11 months old, I did not get a lot out of the settlement. I wasn't upside-down, but then it hits home when that first year depreciation kicks in.

I'm still sad that I lost this one. I really loved the car and everything about it.

I just noticed this...but there is a beer can on the ground under the car in the pic. I think I may break open a cold one to celebrate the car giving up its life to save mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow that was an ugly crash! Glad you're ok. To the original question, at just over a month in, I would wholeheartedly replace mine with the exact same - SEL Plus. I read so many reviews of the issues with the DCT that I would probably get aggravated with that. I am loving how it handles and drives. My wife has named it "zippy" because of how I zip around in it. She doesn't always appreciate me zipping though. But mine is my comuter car. I don't really need anything on the higher levels - heated steering wheel might be nice - do the higher levels have the seat fans? That's nice in the wife's SF Limited. But we have the Santa Fe for long luxurious trips. It has everything but the Turbo and AWD. The adaptive cruise on her's is nice on a trip, but I don't use cruise in daily use. I don't need nav - I know the 11 miles to work well enough.

I love the Kona for my use. It is the PERFECT tool for the job.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts