Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most of us are happy Kona owners so this isn't about second guessing that choice. Instead, I'm wondering if you needed to buy another car today (say if your Kona was totaled in an accident) what else would you consider? After all, some of us have had our Kona's 2 or more years already!

For me there are two considerations that are different from when I got my Kona in mid 2018:

1. Electric vehicles. There are a lot more options now or coming shortly in this market. I really didn't consider an electric car back then, mainly because I live in a rural area and charging stations are still pretty uncommon here. I've done a lot more reading on the subject since and now think it's a more viable alternative. Certainly the Kona EV would be on the top of any list if I had to replace my current car. Assuming I could find one, anyway. ;-)

2. New models. There have been some changes in what the alternatives are in the last 1.5 years. The one that intrigues me the most is the forthcoming Chevy Trailblazer. It's a small compact crossover coming early next year. So its bigger than the Trax (which is tiny and I hate the looks of) and smaller than the Equinox (which is pretty big). I've owned several Chevy products over the years and there is a local dealer but back in 2018 they just didn't have a vehicle I liked. The Trailblazer changes that for me. The other brand I have a long history with is Jeep and I like the look of the Compass but just don't trust Jeep quality anymore so they are off my list for a daily driver/has to be reliable car.

So, to answer my own question. Would I buy another Kona? Probably, but I'd look at the EV version and I'd likely test drive the Trailblazer at least.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think most of us are happy Kona owners so this isn't about second guessing that choice. Instead, I'm wondering if you needed to buy another car today (say if your Kona was totaled in an accident) what else would you consider? After all, some of us have had our Kona's 2 or more years already!

For me there are two considerations that are different from when I got my Kona in mid 2018:

1. Electric vehicles. There are a lot more options now or coming shortly in this market. I really didn't consider an electric car back then, mainly because I live in a rural area and charging stations are still pretty uncommon here. I've done a lot more reading on the subject since and now think it's a more viable alternative. Certainly the Kona EV would be on the top of any list if I had to replace my current car. Assuming I could find one, anyway. ;-)

2. New models. There have been some changes in what the alternatives are in the last 1.5 years. The one that intrigues me the most is the forthcoming Chevy Trailblazer. It's a small compact crossover coming early next year. So its bigger than the Trax (which is tiny and I hate the looks of) and smaller than the Equinox (which is pretty big). I've owned several Chevy products over the years and there is a local dealer but back in 2018 they just didn't have a vehicle I liked. The Trailblazer changes that for me. The other brand I have a long history with is Jeep and I like the look of the Compass but just don't trust Jeep quality anymore so they are off my list for a daily driver/has to be reliable car.

So, to answer my own question. Would I buy another Kona? Probably, but I'd look at the EV version and I'd likely test drive the Trailblazer at least.
I would get the new Kia Seltos unless the Kona gets the same update. I like the 8 inch display but the Kia screen integration and the 10 inch display would win it for me. I would much rather have the Bose system from the Kia Seltos than the infinity sound system that comes in my Kona. But that's just me sounding spoiled :p

Lower the Seltos, get the same engine, have a nicer and more spacious interior, and thats just a better Kona imo

·
Registered
16 Posts
If my Kona gets totaled, I would go right back to the dealer and demand that I get my Lime twist ultimate back. If not, I would strongly consider the electric Kona even though it's not in Lime Twist ?

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
I went to the Charlotte Car show last night, A great place to see and feel the new cars for 2020.. All the major manufacturers were there, Hyundai had the Elantra N, Veloster N, Palisades, Kona, etc.. Plenty of $60K mustangs with 700+ HP and $80K pickups everywhere.. As we looked and sat in these cars from inexpensive to ridiculous.. I couldn't think of anyone of them that I was really interested in or thought was worth the cost.
I drove my other car and the Engine warning light lit up on the way home, that and a bearing noise from the rear.. pulled the code this morning and its a crank sensor sending error.. Was very happy to get in and drive the Kona today.. If I was in the market for something at this time, I would get the Kona again..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Comin from driving a couple of Tucsons I have Mixed feelings. True the Kona SE AWD gets better MPG's. Handles pretty well. To the point that I had tripped the FCA and Garmin Dash Cam Alerts on a few occasions. Its just the Small size.The Interior feels like I'm driving a Rental Car. If it wasn't for the situation I was in, Might gotten a higher trim line. SEL with Fog Lamps and Tint. And a few other things.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Without hesitation, I'd get a Kona again...and would definitely want the same Pulse Red/black roof as I have now...I couldn't be happier with my SEL AWD! The upcoming Chevy Trailblazer does look sharp but nothing can sway me away from my Kona...I hope the next gen Kona will appeal to me just as much!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Love my 2018 1.6T Limited AWD White Lightnin'? Just curious about the 2020 Venue that's due in the Seattle area soon, especially if it's <17k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is a 2020 sunset orange ultimate so it's still fresh but I love it and would want it back. I might be tempted for the ultimate but the only extra feature I wanted was the heated steering wheel...lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
love mine, if it got totalled i'd seriously cry and contemplate serious harm on the wrecker of my baby... i have an 18 lux in the uncommon blue lagoon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would buy it at the right price, not that it isn't worth it. However, they are becoming very popular and not as inexpensive as they used to be. Hyundai can go head-to-head with Honda. Hondas are more refined, but also more $ to buy and maintain.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Yep I would but in Lime Green/Acid Yellow!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ours is an April 2018 turbo with the DCT and I would get another, definitely, but a white one. The red gets dirty quickly. Not a single problem, 30 mpg combined, and pure joy to drive. Under the hood of our Kona turbo beats the eager, happy heart of a genuine sports car.

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
213 Posts
the only extra feature I wanted was the heated steering wheel...lol
In Canada that comes all models except essential (base)
Ours is an April 2018 turbo with the DCT and I would get another, definitely, but a white one. The red gets dirty quickly. Not a single problem, 30 mpg combined, and pure joy to drive. Under the hood of our Kona turbo beats the eager, happy heart of a genuine sports car.
My white gets dirty quickly too.
Your best bet would be to go grey to match grey dirt

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's my wife's car so I asked her the question and she is a definite yes. She's a point A-to-B driver and it does everything she needs (darts in and out of traffic, can haul in a pinch). Only thing she wants is the heated steering wheel the Canucks get. Has anyone attempted a retrofit?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts