Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hi! I’m new to the forum. 2019 EV, 24k miles. Absolutely love this car so happy you can’t imagine. But... does it never heat up??? I’m so **** cold. Bought a blanket that plugs into the lighter and wrap in it while the seat heat is on. If and when it finally gets above tepid I have to turn it off bcz it eats about 25-30% battery. I have a routine 200 mile trip that includes hills. Full charge is about 315. In the cold, with hills and no heat I pull into the garage with a screaming below the red battery. Local trips toodling around town it never warms up enough to make a difference so I’m sacrificing range for nothing.

This can’t be normal, but the service guys just say - yeah, I’ve heard heat is a thing.

Any thoughts? My husband bought me heated socks which definitely help but I was thinking heat was a standard feature. Was I wrong?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does your EV Kona come with a Pre-heating setting while you're charging it? That way you could start with a warm car driving it out of the garage.
Modern day electric cars have powerful electric cabin heaters that can heat the interior quickly, even in the coldest conditions.
How did you heat the car last winter, was the heater working ok?
The Kona EV specs rate its range at aprox. 258 miles & you say you have a 200 miles DAILY drive on a hilly road.
According to this author of articles on EV cars, when running the heater it could reduce the battery's power range by even as much as 40-45 % (Mitsubishi i- MiEV). If you'd use the heater, then I see you'd compromise your drive dramatically if running the heater constantly.
There's something wrong with your car if its heater doesn't work as it should. Since you said you sacrifice range for nothing, then obviously you're running it. If you don't have any heat, then its just logical that you got a problem your 5 yr/60,000 miles warranty should cover. They can't just whoosh you away with "I've heard heat is a thing"...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry - it’s not a daily drive I wasn’t clear. It’s a vacation home. Daily drives are local and I don’t charge every day

On a full charge I pull out of my garage with 315 showing on the range. As soon as I turn on the heat it drops to 235, so I turn it off if I have a long drive planned. I’m protective of range bcz I don’t want to have to stop. I get that it’s not a combustion engine but how does it make heat? Husband’s Tesla can be a furnace if he wants it to be and he doesn’t lose as much battery (percentage).

Is Hyundai really going to abandon this car???

·
Registered
98 Posts
From 315 to 235 that would be an ~ 26% loss of power, which after reading that article seems to be a constant or common denominator across the industry.
I wonder if the computer factors in right away the fact that you will have the heater on for the whole drive and it shows you the expected range with the heater turned on.
How extensively have you driven this car with the heater on? Did you just buy this car before the winter?
It sounds to me as you don't really know this car, sorry if I sound "critical" as I don't intend that.
You need to drive it with the heater on to find its range. It sounds as your husband has a bit of experience with an EV vehicle as a Tesla owner. Have him drive the car with the heater on, change cars for a day or two if you're afraid to do it.

You haven't answered to the question related to the pre-heating feature. Do these Kona vehicles have that feature while charging? You have the Blue Link 3-year complimentary service (Remote and Charging) as Standard, so you might have it. It would make a big difference for you to leave the garage with an already heated car. You'd only be using the heater sparingly throughout that 200 miles drive.

It's interesting that no EV owner jumped on this subject to offer their thoughts for pennies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it assumes heat on the whole time. Driving in the cold and on hills stresses the battery so I leave the house 315>235 and once I start moving it continues to drop substantially.

This is my 2nd winter with the car. It does not heat well. I thought it was a function of electric cars in general, but our experience with the Tesla indicates that’s not true. Pre-heating doesn’t work well either and the car doesn’t sleep plugged in so it’s a pain in the neck and requires too much planning - I want to get into the car, turn on the heat and actually get warm.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If that's indeed the reality - which is a sad one, then maybe it would be wiser to get rid of it even if you incur a loss.
Once more, I find it fascinating that some of the more vocal (knowledgeable) EV owners I have come across reading on several EV threads did not utter one single word about your problem, either to advise you in some way, confirm or infirm that the heating system is this car's Achilles'. I've read a few good threads but they addressed the "range" as related to the use of the heater, but not a heating problem per say.
I'm sure this EV is indeed a "fun" car to drive as quite a few declared, though your problem seems to take all the fun out of owning one of these fun-to-drive toys.
I'm sorry for your tribulation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your sympathies!! I’m keeping the car, regardless. Heated socks, heated blanket. It’s only an issue on the very coldest days but I had hoped for a solution.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
141 Posts
... Pre-heating doesn’t work well either and the car doesn’t sleep plugged in so it’s a pain in the neck and requires too much planning - I want to get into the car, turn on the heat and actually get warm.
I never use this feature because I'm in a mild climate but I know from years of reading Kona posts that preheating needs to be an essential part of your strategy. You might be using the charger that came with the car? If yes then get a wall charger installed that can deliver at least 32 amps (at 240V of course.) Use the departure time setting and setpoint temperature. The car's PTC-type cabin heater uses a lot of power and needs the maximum size charger plugged in for the duration of preheating. You need the car to be warm before you leave to maximise your potential range.

Another point is that the cabin heater runs directly off the main battery and does not suffer the power conversion losses as a "12V" unit might.

Most Kona versions outside the US have a supplemental heat pump which is very efficient, but that's not relevant to your situation. Hope all this is helpful!

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Kona EV heats up so rapidly after I start it (unlike ICE cars), I never preheat it. I'm in Canada, west coast, so not really cold anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Casey, Sounds like it’s in driver only mode. Which works ok but will feel chill around you in rest of car, if not, You have an issue going on. Have dealer look at it. My 2019 heats to max temp (winter preheat on the app) in sub zero weather and maintains comfortable environment (73f) in any mode including auto. Heated seats and wheel are big plus in my car that work well in temps as low as -20f so far!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never use this feature because I'm in a mild climate but I know from years of reading Kona posts that preheating needs to be an essential part of your strategy. You might be using the charger that came with the car? If yes then get a wall charger installed that can deliver at least 32 amps (at 240V of course.) Use the departure time setting and setpoint temperature. The car's PTC-type cabin heater uses a lot of power and needs the maximum size charger plugged in for the duration of preheating. You need the car to be warm before you leave to maximise your potential range.

Another point is that the cabin heater runs directly off the main battery and does not suffer the power conversion losses as a "12V" unit might.

Most Kona versions outside the US have a supplemental heat pump which is very efficient, but that's not relevant to your situation. Hope all this is helpful!
We have a shared Tesla charger; I bought a plug converter. Neither car sleeps plugged in (marital harmony). If I’m planning to go out and not in my usual harried/hurried day I will try pre-heating to see how it works and report back. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
266 Posts
Don't have electric, I have the gas Ultimate.

I found that driving in winter, there's a small cold breeze that comes through leaks in door. Specifically, the window switches are a very noticeable breeze when driving at high speeds.
Maybe consider insulation in the doors to help keep cold out / heat in. I did do kilmat in my doors for sound... but I'm not sure if it made a noticable difference in temperatures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Casey, Sounds like it’s in driver only mode. Which works ok but will feel chill around you in rest of car, if not, You have an issue going on. Have dealer look at it. My 2019 heats to max temp (winter preheat on the app) in sub zero weather and maintains comfortable environment (73f) in any mode including auto. Heated seats and wheel are big plus in my car that work well in temps as low as -20f so far!
Oh man, much envy from me. I do have (and use) heated seats. No heated wheel. How much battery do you lose while driving w heat on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh man, much envy from me. I do have (and use) heated seats. No heated wheel. How much battery do you lose while driving w heat on?
Right now car is at its worst efficiency wise, week six of 15 deg or colder and still does well. Full charge down to
low 230 range, 185 as soon as I click on all heat - Seats ,wheel, full heat system on. 205 driver only heat !
Very good “real world“ numbers for dead of winter while running on snow tires In a very mountainous region.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in Buffalo NY. One challenge for EVs is heating. Without the need to cool a gasoline-burning engine, there is no engine coolant to circulate thru the heater-core in your dashboard to provide heat to the car. In a traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) car, you don't get any heat to blow into the cabin till the engine burns enough gas to heat up enough to cause the engine thermostat to open and start circulating coolant. It takes a few minutes to start to generate heat for the cabin. With EVs, the cabin is heated with an electric heater element, like a cheap space heater you might use last home. It takes a lot of electricity to make the heating element glow and keep it hot, and that electricity is fuel that can't be used to propel the car. The good news is the heater gives pretty instant heat. The bad news is you lose range. 200 highway-miles a day for me are pretty common. I try things like: push the 'driver side only' button to avoid pushing warm air to the other side of the car, with no-one there, use the heated seat, use the cabin heater intermittently rather than it running continuously, I bought a pair of driving gloves to keep my hands warm and still be able to use touch-screens, and generally dress warmer than I would have with previous cars. I wish I had a heated steering wheel at times, but I could not see paying for other parts of the package I did not want. A few things I want to be able to do an just found a workaround for include changing the fan to stop blowing frigid air or any air at all when I turn it off. By default, Hyundai has it set to always circulate air even when the climate system is off - but that cools the cabin and provides a breeze. But hoping getting it to really turn off helps a bit.

It is not as good as I would like it to be, and I was disappointed my first Winter with the Kona. Now, it's just what I need to do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey hi! I’m new to the forum. 2019 EV, 24k miles. Absolutely love this car so happy you can’t imagine. But... does it never heat up??? I’m so **** cold. Bought a blanket that plugs into the lighter and wrap in it while the seat heat is on. If and when it finally gets above tepid I have to turn it off bcz it eats about 25-30% battery. I have a routine 200 mile trip that includes hills. Full charge is about 315. In the cold, with hills and no heat I pull into the garage with a screaming below the red battery. Local trips toodling around town it never warms up enough to make a difference so I’m sacrificing range for nothing.

This can’t be normal, but the service guys just say - yeah, I’ve heard heat is a thing.

Any thoughts? My husband bought me heated socks which definitely help but I was thinking heat was a standard feature. Was I wrong?
Probably a silly comment, but have you had the heater checked by service org? I dont live in a cold climate (min temps here about 3 degrees), but heater works well. I have to turn it down or it gets too hot! 😜
Also do you have a Highlander? That should have heated seat option which is a more effective/efficient way to keep you comfy

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 4wd
8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Buffalo NY. One challenge for EVs is heating. Without the need to cool a gasoline-burning engine, there is no engine coolant to circulate thru the heater-core in your dashboard to provide heat to the car. In a traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) car, you don't get any heat to blow into the cabin till the engine burns enough gas to heat up enough to cause the engine thermostat to open and start circulating coolant. It takes a few minutes to start to generate heat for the cabin. With EVs, the cabin is heated with an electric heater element, like a cheap space heater you might use last home. It takes a lot of electricity to make the heating element glow and keep it hot, and that electricity is fuel that can't be used to propel the car. The good news is the heater gives pretty instant heat. The bad news is you lose range. 200 highway-miles a day for me are pretty common. I try things like: push the 'driver side only' button to avoid pushing warm air to the other side of the car, with no-one there, use the heated seat, use the cabin heater intermittently rather than it running continuously, I bought a pair of driving gloves to keep my hands warm and still be able to use touch-screens, and generally dress warmer than I would have with previous cars. I wish I had a heated steering wheel at times, but I could not see paying for other parts of the package I did not want. A few things I want to be able to do an just found a workaround for include changing the fan to stop blowing frigid air or any air at all when I turn it off. By default, Hyundai has it set to always circulate air even when the climate system is off - but that cools the cabin and provides a breeze. But hoping getting it to really turn off helps a bit.

It is not as good as I would like it to be, and I was disappointed my first Winter with the Kona. Now, it's just what I need to do.
Curiosity. I'm in East Aurora. Black 2019 almost 2 years 20K. Are you the red EV? Often on 20A?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts