Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excuse the ignorance but if its all programming related can Hyundai copy or mimic the code of the veloster to the konas through an update?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally not impressed.
Why not, it is said that Hyundai held Audi DCT's up to it as a guide to follow and beat. The 8 speed was made with high performance driving as it's #1 job, The 7 speed was tuned and fully setup for Grandpa driving with almost no time tuning for high performance driving.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Excuse the ignorance but if its all programming related can Hyundai copy or mimic the code of the veloster to the konas through an update?
No, totally different transmissions, dry vs wet clutch. The only hope is if the 2021 Kona N-Line with the 7 speed had the trans tune changed to fix their crap coding for high performance use. It is said the trans computer password has been cracked, but we need a tuner to take this on. But how many Kona owner will flash their trans to make it a viable time investment vs the cost of the flash if even possible. THen there is another HUGE issue is getting a working high performance clutch to work in the 7 speed that is not an easy clutch to increase torque input. I have talked to a known clutch company that makes custom clutches and they know this 7 speed . The enginners are still looking at it and said it doesn't look good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That is not what I was hoping to hear. I seriously think the current Kona needs a DCT retune, because:
1/ The current tune seems to be time based with an intentional delay. The impact of this is that if you need to accelerate "briskly", like at a busy intersection, it will let you down and put you in danger. It will rev high, slip the clutch excessively, take off slowly, then lurch unpredictably as it gets its **** together for second gear.
2/ From what I was taught, heat is the cause of clutch wear, arising from slip. So engaging the clutch more quickly and with less slip might feel harsh but would actually lead to less slip time and less wear. Yes something breaks if too much torque is transferred through the drive train, but slipping the clutch isn't the solution to that risk.

@Mainia1 it would be great to hear what your tuners think of that logic.

I'm a firm believer that the current hardware can provide a better drive with only a tune. My evidence is how well is launches up a hill where the brake assist engages. Under that situation the clutch slips less, engages at lower revs, and the whole car launches much cleaner/harder. It simply doesn't apply that same programming on a flat or downhill start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts