Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kona SEL AWD was tossed into a trail trek competition between several crossovers recently. It didn't come in first place or anything, but the reviewer thought it would be the worst (all of the rest were $30k+ btw). After the test, he had changed his tune and was calling it a scrappy climber. That was with the stock low profile tires too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, they didn't really explain how they arrived at their scores.

Another reviewer from the same test that was impressed:

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Yeah, they didn't really explain how they arrived at their scores.

Another reviewer from the same test that was impressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ULQ8OtAaQs
Most never do explain their methodology. However, it's good to see they attempted to make a fair comparison.:smile: Most auto bloggers are paid by someone, they don't do it for free, so you have to take there reviews with a grain of salt. Plus they used the 2.0L and not the Ultimate 1.6T AWD.

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
96 Posts
While the Kona certainly wasn't designed for full blown off roading, I think a lot of people have been surprised with its trailing potential. The guys over at TFL took it to one of there most severe courses, and were pretty surprised with how well it faired.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The biggest point is throwing all these in with a Jeep??. Not the same class and by far a Cherokee is going to make most inclines and grades of roads, but failure is going to happen when you throw all these in with street tires. I have watched so many youtube videos and all use the tires designed for the street , honestly how many owners except a Jeep will ever take their vehicle off road , very few and thus up inclines of 20% or more with switch backs , soft dirt or rocks.

Then you have a few testers who then claim a Forester is bad off road in snow, for this he never used the X mode invalidating the test.

Like myself and JR stated , these tests should be taken lightly and again this and the other vehicles except the Jeep should be taken on these types of terrain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe a dct would be very good in off road conditions. Hyundai probably chose to send the 6 speed auto for that reason. The 1.6t and dct are superior for acceleration on the street, but that transmission was not designed to handle off road situations.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Actually, a manual transmission is one of the best for off-road and I personally believe the DCT would shine as well IMHO.

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
221 Posts
Actually, a manual transmission is one of the best for off-road and I personally believe the DCT would shine as well IMHO.

Blessing and Peace
The TFL video was done with the DCT and they overheated it. I will note that they had one of their least experienced reviewers doing that review; maybe one of the sites main reviewers could have done better. .

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I'll have to disagree with you regarding his qualifications. :smile:

He doesn't know how to utilize the DCT, this is why he overheated the clutches. He's a blogger as I said before, not a test driver. He doesn't know how to take specific corners on the high side as an experienced off-roader would 6:15 into the video. Sometimes the safest route is the longer one thru. He doesn't back up and plan another route thru the obstacles, instead he attempts to force it thru a particular route again and again. You look for the best route thru. You just don't muscle thru, as it takes planning and finesse, which is part of the fun doing recreational off-roading. It shows his inexperience in off-roading. You might be able to do it with a Jeep Wrangler but you aren't with the Kona AWD or any similar crossover.

However, he's testing it as he would attempt to do so with a Jeep Wrangler, which is designed more for rougher off-road use then the Kona was designed and engineered to do.

You can't compare apples and oranges. It's a crossover, primarily designed for on road use and certainly not designed to do the routes he chose to do. I can see several different paths thru the obstacles he over heated the DCT in. If the route you choose isn't working, you back up, pause and plan a different one. Not a fair assessment of it's capabilities IMHO.:smile:

Put it into the hand of an experienced off- roader and see what happens.:wink:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think you mis-read my post, assuming that is what you were replying to. As I said, the guy who tried to get the DCT Kona up their off-road test hill for TFL is one of their least experienced reviewers. He's the son of the site founder. In fact, the other long-time reviewer recently got the new Santa Fe up the same course with few issues, though he did have to choose the easiest route in places to do it. I haven't been able to find a clear statement about what the new Santa Fe's ground clearance is, but it did seem to me that the Kona (in experienced hands) would likely be able to achieve the same results.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Agreed.

I did miss what you said, my bad! I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll attempt to read better in future. I've got a Ten's device going on my back right now and I think it may have short circuited my brain!:grin: Happy Labor Day!:smile:

Blessings and Peace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts