Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 2018 Kona, I also signed up for a "maintenance contract". The service I got was primarily oil changes and tire rotations from 0 to 30K miles.
With the contract used up, I decided to perform my own oil change. I was very surprised to find the oil filter installed by the dealer was a Prime Guard POF 4459 rather than a genuine Hyundai filter!! So I'm assuming that's what has been used during my oil service intervals (oil change was every 3500 miles).

All along I thought I was paying for genuine Hyundai filters. Anyone have a similar experience? I've never heard of Prime Guard. How good is it??

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Out of curiosity I looked it up.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
When I purchased my 2018 Kona, I also signed up for a "maintenance contract". The service I got was primarily oil changes and tire rotations from 0 to 30K miles.
With the contract used up, I decided to perform my own oil change. I was very surprised to find the oil filter installed by the dealer was a Prime Guard POF 4459 rather than a genuine Hyundai filter!! So I'm assuming that's what has been used during my oil service intervals (oil change was every 3500 miles).

All along I thought I was paying for genuine Hyundai filters. Anyone have a similar experience? I've never heard of Prime Guard. How good is it??
I would not worry much, the oem Hyundai filter is not known to be that good of a filter as far as catching small micron debris. That filter they used could have very well have filter better then oem.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My day job sells the PTC name version of those filters. They are only $1.16 each.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are some pictures of it cut open on BITOG. Seems well made, with metal end caps, steel center tube, and a coil spring ( vs the more low-end leaf spring) bypass valve. The only concerns are : how good is the filtering efficiency? How much dirt can it hold? I see nothing published.The "best" brand name filters publish this data.
At the price point, they probably use cellulose based filter media.

If you consider how small percentage the filter cost is of the total maintenance cost, I see no point in economizing on the filter. Why not just use a known high quantity filter? In my opinion that woudl be either a high-miles mobil-1, Bosch or the Fram UG/XG with its fully synthetic filter media. The OEM Hyundai filter BTW is ...yawn. All we have is the dealers vague, un-scientific marketing assertions that those are "good". (Not backed by any published data/specs), This, IMHO is what separates the men from the boys in filter land. Any filter where the dirt holding capacity and the filtering efficiency is not published, is suspect in my book. If the specs were anything worth mentioning, they would certainly be made known...

Given the relatively short recommended OC interval for the Hyundai turbo engines: If you use a high capacity filter (usually, the recommended miles are indicative of this, or given explicitly in Grams) you can skip the filter change every other OC, and just change the oil. That brings the cost down to half, and there is no decrease in filtering efficiency. The theory is, if the filter is "full" (ie clogged) you may experience more frequent bypass valve opening due to increased back-pressure. This, of course would decrease the extent of filtering statistically. Keep in mind that brief bypass happens already on cold starts, and possibly on extreme acceleration. (With any filter) So in theory the operating oil pressure needs to be in-line with the bypass valve's opening pressure. But you can count on the filter manufacturer having dialed this in, if the filter is listed as compatible with a particular engine. This is another are where I would be suspicious of a relatively unknown filter brand.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hyundai's engine self destructing issue has always been the reason Hyundai wants people to use their filter, and profit on filter sales would also be the case too. We Kona 1.6T Kona owners have one of Hyundai's better motors, so self destructing is not as big an issue as other model engines are. The Hyundai/Kia filter does not filter the best as they "seem" to of wanted better flow to Hail Mary a possibility that in may save an engine from self destructing.

Hyundai /Kia engines are said to have a small bumped up oil pressure number as to try to salve the self distract issue. Just as many Hyundai/Kia's have self destructed with Hyundai /Kia filters on as aftermarket filters. Hyundai and others say if they get a tick from the engine they can sometimes stop it by going back to an OEM filter. That did not work on my 2013 Elantra GT with 14,000 miles as it ticked like no tomorrow with either a Fram Ultra or an OEM filter. The engine's piston's galled up the the cylinder walls, piston skirts and bearings. It also sent aluminum debris into the lifters when the filter by-passed and that is where the tick was coming from.

Fram redesigned their Hyundai/Kia filter some 5-6 years back and matched the bypass valve to Hyundai OEM specs, increased can thickness and did something with the filter gasket/base plate design. The top filters in Fram's lineup . XG/UG and the New Titanium TS flows better then the OEM filter as per Fram. All while filtering far better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Mainia1,

It is unclear if you are for the OEM filter , or for the top-o-the-line Fram? (as you make some points where the OEM filter seems to be better suited to the higher oil pressure, but in the end you seem to be giving a nod to the latter. Which do you recommend /prefer?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
My 2018 Kona had a Hyundai OEM filter on it for 2 days after picking it up. It has and will not see an OEM oil filter unless Hyundai puts one on for testing. It will be swiftly removed after I get home.

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
I would think an authorized dealership should be using the OEM filters, did the paperwork specify OEM or price of the filter?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts