Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Hyundai Kona N Development Confirmed

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JR KONA 
#1 ·

A performance-oriented Hyundai Kona N could soon be a reality.

In a recent interview with AutoExpress, Hyundai N boss Albert Biermann revealed his team is currently building a prototype Kona N. If the development process goes smoothly and the end result is up to par, Biermann will try to sell the idea to the head honchos in South Korea.

“I’ve told them [the engineers] to build the car and we’ll see what happens with getting it approved,” Biermann said, adding that it would share the 250 hp 2.0-liter turbocharged engine with the i30 N. The same 2.0-liter is also offered in the US-bound Veloster N, where it makes 271 hp.

“It has to be the i30 N powertrain, really,” Biermann said. “Of course, we can give Kona different specifications on suspension and steering, although there are some common components we can use in that area as well, because it’ll be front-wheel drive, like the i30 N. But we already know that it has to be that car’s engine and gearbox for the Kona N, yes.”

s currently under development and slated for release next year. The Veloster N has also been spied with an automatic, so while a six-speed manual Kona N could be on the table, an automatic version is just as likely. And who knows? Maybe Hyundai will offer both.

Apart from the engine and powertrain, the production Kona N would also likely feature other components from the N portfolio, such as a rear hatch spoiler, N brakes with red brake calipers, lightweight N alloy wheels and red accents. Oh, and it would of course be offered in ‘Performance Blue’ – the light blue shade that has come to define Hyundai’s N lineup of performance cars.

We’ll be keeping a sharp eye out for Hyundai Kona N prototypes in the coming months.

[SOURCE]

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.