Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hyundai is jumping onto the electric bandwagon and they’re planning to launch an electric Kona by the 2018 Geneva motor show along with an A-SUV by 2020. The automaker made this announcement at the 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show, where the Kona made its first ever public appearance at an automotive show.

Newly launched, the subcompact model shares the GB platform with the i20 hatchback, Rio and Stonic. The entry level trim of this unconventionally styled vehicle is powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder and a more powered 1.6 T-GDI four-pot turbo is offered as well. But why stop at gas engines when the automaker can start making their mark in the EV segment.

Autocar spoke with Hyundai’s vice chairman Eui-sun Chung at the Frankfurt Motor Show and he said; “we will launch electric vehicle Kona EV model by next year. We will focus more on eco-friendly cars such as EV and hydrogen-electric cars.”

They’re hoping to repeat the success they had with the Ioniq, which comes in three powertrains; pure electric, plug-in hybrid and hybrid. Perhaps we’ll see a hybrid Kona down the road, completing the lineup with its all electric and gas powered siblings.

Until then, we have a Kona Ev to look forward to and it’s speculated to have a range of around 240 miles.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Soul EV proved Koreans can make a great EV so I can't wait for this and it might be whats next on my list but for now I will settle for a base Kona. Hopefully by time i'm ready to do a trade in there won't be much of a loss on value.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hyundai already has the ioniq lineup which includes an EV model and people seem to be receptive of it. I'd be more interested in a hybrid simply for the longer range. Yes, EV these days are hitting around 230 miles per charge, but I don't think Hyundai is going that route by the looks of the Ioniq's range.

·
Registered
164 Posts
They just better have an electric powertrain planned for the Optima because out of all EV's for the brand to have... it has to be something to directly rival the Chevy Volt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Isn't the Volt a pure electric vehicle and not a hybrid? Would it not be better to have a hybrid Kona to compete against the Kia Niro?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Isn't the Volt a pure electric vehicle and not a hybrid? Would it not be better to have a hybrid Kona to compete against the Kia Niro?
That would be great but were getting to the point that even Hybrids are becoming old and not the greatest option for a car maker launching a product today. Just sticking an electric powertrain under a CUV will do them a lot of good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On the contrary, I think there's still a lot of potential for hybrids in the future. Full EVs will of course appeal to a lot of buyers, but there will always be those who wants to use less gas but fear getting stranded somewhere. That's where hybrids come in and will stay until battery technology improves even more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai is one of the most renowned automobile companies in India. It is the first Indian brand to deliver an affordable electric vehicle Hyundai Kona EV to the Indian market. It is launched to the Indian market in two power variants. One is with 100 KW, or 136 PS motor that has a battery of 39kWh and another is of 150 kW or 204 PS motor which comes with 64 kWh batteries. In India, a 100 kW motor is used for the electric vehicle which can cover up to 450 km in a single charge.

Hyundai Kona comes under compact SUV segment and has a fast-charging facility. The fast charging enables the car to charge from zero to 87% in just one hour. This car has different driving modes such as Eco+, Eco, sport, and comfort depending upon the riding conditions. It also uses regenerative braking. Hyundai has also taken care of safety by adding six airbags, which makes it the best electric car in India.

It is a five-seater vehicle with a maximum horsepower of 134 bhp. The expected Hyundai Kona EV price for all variants might vary between Rs.25.3 lakhs to Rs.25.5 lakhs. The expected launch date for Kona is between August 2019 and November 2019.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hyundai is one of the most renowned automobile companies in India. It is the first Indian brand to deliver an affordable electric vehicle Hyundai Kona EV to the Indian market. It is launched to the Indian market in two power variants. One is with 100 KW, or 136 PS motor that has a battery of 39kWh and another is of 150 kW or 204 PS motor which comes with 64 kWh batteries. In India, a 100 kW motor is used for the electric vehicle which can cover up to 450 km in a single charge.

Hyundai Kona comes under compact SUV segment and has a fast-charging facility. The fast charging enables the car to charge from zero to 87% in just one hour. This car has different driving modes such as Eco+, Eco, sport, and comfort depending upon the riding conditions. It also uses regenerative braking. Hyundai has also taken care of safety by adding six airbags, which makes it the best electric car in India.

It is a five-seater vehicle with a maximum horsepower of 134 bhp. The expected Hyundai Kona EV price for all variants might vary between Rs.25.3 lakhs to Rs.25.5 lakhs. The expected launch date for Kona is between August 2019 and November 2019.
I Just go my Kona EV last month and it is GREAT. 258 miles for 100% charge. 0-60 in 6.4 sec. Handles amazing, due to 1100 lb battery and low center of gravity. I got it so as to keep the miles down on my G90. It's working, I have not driven G90, since I got the Kona. Good luck on price, took me a week and 10 dealers before I got a white one with Pebble Blue interior at MSRP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts