Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Stuffed turbo and a tune, and that is it.
My clutch is almost gone at 29,000 mile I can only imagine how short his will last. 300 hp clutches are on the horizon. That were his HP/TQ is at I would bet. 310-320 with those times.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
You might consider a driving class. I have over 300 thousand miles on my International semi truck.. Same clutch. And I always run max weight

Apples to a Sherman tank comparison.

Use your comprehension skills.

Tow a 1,200lbs boat.

We won't even talk about the engine.

Car:
Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, Wagner Veloster N racing intercooler, AeroTech spring rubbers, lowered 2 inches, sub-frame collars, Whiteline i30 N semi ball (pinned for safety) front anti-dive bushings, (Pinned) Veloster N rear swing arm bushings, Whiteline Hyundai Multi-Link rear poly bushings and Whiteline camber arms, Whiteline rear aluminum toe arms, front camber bolts, 1.5 neg camber on all 4s. N-Line lower trans mount with both rubber voids filled with epoxy clay. Frozen Rotors/Slotted, PowerStop Z23 brake pads. Ultra Racing strut brace that I reinforced by about 30%. Lightweight 12.5 lbs AGM battery for spring/summer/fall.

- 2017 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport front seats. Schroth 3 point, anti-dive, DOT approved racing harness

- 18x8.5 silver rims and 235 45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 +

Reactions: Bad~Papa

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
You might consider a driving class. I have over 300 thousand miles on my International semi truck.. Same clutch. And I always run max weight
He‘s not being kind to his clutch on purpose.. He is taking his car down the performance road where clutches are just a wear item expected to have a shorter Life span.. We learn from him and others on here on how the stock pieces hold up to power mods and sometimes, abuse..

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Maybe a wet system is in your future..
ONLY if Hyundai comes out with an AWD version of the Kona N, which it will not in foreseeable future, or ever. I had money down a year ago at a dealership for one until I uncovered it was 2WD only. I found out ALL the Hyundai test mule Kona Ns were 2WD. I pulled my money.

AWD is #1 on my list for a performance car, and a Golf R would fit me perfectly and it is so easy to 500hp out of one with just bolt-ons, I just think they are ugly/homogenized

I was an Audi/VW guy before and even had a hobby Audi repair shop it would be SO easy for me to go that route. I even have a guy at work that had a 420 hp Golf R and now has a 420 Audi S3 sedan, BUGGING the crap out of me to flip. He sends me Carvana bids for my car at the same price I paid for it, by the way.The Kona was designed by Audi and BMW enginners and the Kona AWD suspension has a very very close design specs to the Golf R. The rear suspension is basicly an Audi/VW suspension design.

But I like quirky cars like the Kona. I have to have AWD to tow my boat because I get a "load" noise in the front diff and when putting it in Sport mode it activates "semi" AWD 95% F/5% R and puts some of the towing load to the rear diff and the load sound is gone. Total weight I am towing is in the 1,400 lbs area and the Kona AWD is rated in Europe and Australia for 2,800lbs, so I am way under the car's spec.

The 7 speed has a small clutch for performance driving, a 300hp/330tq clutch will be out in spring for the Kona. The DCT computer has had its password cracked and there are tunes available this spring IF IF the tuners can get past guarding their programing, and actually release the tune. It costs at this time (so they say) $40,000 to get a coder to encrypt a tune so no one can just steal it and use it for their tune. Before this Covid BS that would cost about $10,000 -$15,000 and most would do it.

So technically higher HP/TQ clutches can be used. The 300hp clutchs can be use NOW with no change to the TCU programing. The TCU was a firewall all these years in using the dry clutch 7 speed DCT in a very high HP performance car as Hyundai/Kia 7 speed DCT programing was sub-standard for performance driving.

So as of today, it looks like I am stuck with my 1.6T AWD. Which is fine, I guess now that there are parts available.

Reactions: Bad~Papa

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honestly, if you're going to buy an ICE, you can't go wrong with a Golf. It's far far better than the Kona will ever be. I had an MK7 GTI with a stage 1 tune and it was a blast. Stage 1 alone is like 310hp. No other supporting mods. I'd get a Golf R though, as FWD is pretty terrible.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Honestly, if you're going to buy an ICE, you can't go wrong with a Golf. It's far far better than the Kona will ever be. I had an MK7 GTI with a stage 1 tune and it was a blast. Stage 1 alone is like 310hp. No other supporting mods. I'd get a Golf R though, as FWD is pretty terrible.
Well, not as far as handling, my Kona handles better then a Golf R in race mode right now and mine is not even finished yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts