Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Hyundai considering N performance trim

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JR KONA 
#1 ·
So it looks like Hyundai may be bringing it's N badge to the Kona. Rumor has it that it will be powered by the same engine that was used in the i30N, which means a 2.0-liter turbo with 247bhp. I for one am happy to see Hyundai offering more performance oriented trims, and I think it would do quite well on the Kona platform. What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Latest article 5/18/18 slates for end of decade engine based off Elantra GT in the UK, so if things go right the hopefully it will come to the US. But with most models in the planning stage things always change examplre is the STI/WRX and others. But yes 247 bhp in a light vehicle like this one and then a good tune to get whp same goes for Veloster potential is there, same for the 1.6T.

#3 · (Edited)
I would rather have a dark Pink Kona then that baby baby blue. I think they force that crap color on you too. Barf. Simply wouldn't buy any of the N's because of it, way way way way way way way too horrible. Fire the guy who picked that crap color on their "star series" cars, Fools all of them oking that color as the only color an N comes in.

#4 ·
I'd love to own one, it could be enormous fun to drive until the speeding tickets start coming in the mail.
On the other hand, I haven't really felt the need for stronger acceleration in our Limited Kona or in our Santa FE Sport turbo.
What we need and what we like is completely different.
Regardless, I will open a new, secret savings account when it shows up.

#5 · (Edited)
If and I say if it does make it into production, it will be over $33K. The N Veloster will be MSRP'ed at around $33K+. Hyundai has already stated, "it is in no hurry to introduce an "N" model." The Veloster N model will come in 4 colors, so it's safe to believe the an "N" Kona will be offered in four colors. The "N" model Veloster will be limited in production. So it goes without saying, so will an "N" Model Kona if it makes it into production.

The 1.6T can easily reach 250-260 WHP with the right modifications, for far less money in the process. Intake, down pipe, exhaust, tune and larger intercooler. Besides it's never going to handle like a sport vehicle, being far to high off the ground and top heavy. Needs better brakes, lower springs and better struts but it's never going to be touted as a Sport SUV. Just too limited of a market share. Doubt it will ever make it into production or into the US, even if it does get into production.

One of the inherent problems is; front wheel drive, with a vast amount of oversteer. Bias front to rear is wrong for anything normal and a little spirited driving. I can make the backend of our Ultimate dance in tight corners already.

By-the-way the picture above is photoshopped. The "N" Kona doesn't exist, even by what Hyundai has stated and is only on paper at this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.