Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, let them look at it. It's really hard to explain how to make the right adjustment without being there with you. Who knows with electronics these days. However, you can disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes and the ECU will reset to factory settings. It's worth a try. When all else fails, reboot!

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my Kona. When I first got it, I would swear I didn't have it at the lowest setting. Now I do and I can't see the blind spot warnings, they are off of the top. @rdunn13 was the dealership able to do something for you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
@VolleyGirl, I haven't taken it to the dealership for that specific problem — A simple battery disconnect seems to work every time, as JR KONA suggested. I'm wondering if it's a flaw in the communication between the control software and the motorized adjustment mechanism. Or, over time, as you drive, the mechanism just gets rattled and doesn't reset properly when turning the car off and on. Either way, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will work!

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
@VolleyGirl, I haven't taken it to the dealership for that specific problem — A simple battery disconnect seems to work every time, as JR KONA suggested. I'm wondering if it's a flaw in the communication between the control software and the motorized adjustment mechanism. Or, over time, as you drive, the mechanism just gets rattled and doesn't reset properly when turning the car off and on. Either way, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will work!
FYI: You don't need to disconnect the battery, there is a main isolator in the fuse box that will have the same effect

Attachments

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very well might be a hiccup in the software. Take it in and let them diagnosis the issue. Disconnecting the battery, sets the ECU back to OEM original settings.:smile: I don't believe the switch cuts off power to the ECU.

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
FYI: You don't need to disconnect the battery, there is a main isolator in the fuse box that will have the same effect
Interesting.. the manual refers to this switch as a "transport switch.." I guess to prevent battery drain on the maiden voyage wherever.. It also states the switch
could be damaged if used repeatedly...

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Interesting.. the manual refers to this switch as a "transport switch.." I guess to prevent battery drain on the maiden voyage wherever.. It also states the switch
could be damaged if used repeatedly.
.Those are my thoughts also. Yes, transport and long term storage, as I remember.:smile:

You may be right, I know it clears the infotainment settings

See the bottom of this page
https://www.hkona.com/relay_box_pass...tion-1425.html
Thank you for the reference also.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very well might be a hiccup in the software. Take it in and let them diagnosis the issue. Disconnecting the battery, sets the ECU back to OEM original settings.:smile: I don't believe the switch cuts off power to the ECU.

Blessings and Peace
Maybe I will mention it at my first oil change. Going to the dealership is a pain.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I understand but it's just some thing you have to do. Perspective is everything, just try a different one.:grin: Try not to compare it to others visits and take it for what it is now. Go into it with out any expectations, prior emotional ties or predetermined thoughts. Enjoy the moment as it unfolds and stay joyful knowing your Kona will be fixed to your liking.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

I could still drive my 2013 Elantra GT with this switch off. It moved to off one day and I never knew about that switch. The radio, heater fan, windows and all that stuff was dead, but I still could drive it to the dealer. It just kills the peripherals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand but it's just some thing you have to do. Perspective is everything, just try a different one.:grin: Try not to compare it to others visits and take it for what it is now. Go into it with out any expectations, prior emotional ties or predetermined thoughts. Enjoy the moment as it unfolds and stay joyful knowing your Kona will be fixed to your liking.:smile:

Blessings and Peace
I'm not sure what you're saying. It's not that I don't like my dealership. It's just inconvenient to take a car in for service. My dealership is not near my home or my work. I get to work around 7:30, leave at 4 and head to the gym, I am home by 5:30. The service hours at the dealership are 7 am to 6 pm. When am I taking my car there? Either I am getting to work late, or skipping the gym. They are also open 8 - 12 on Saturday. They are a 35 minute drive from my home. So that pretty much blows my whole Saturday morning if I take it in. So again, it's not that I don't like them. I just don't want to go there.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand and that's your choice, I respect your thoughts. I was saying, sometime we put ourselves in a predisposed train of thought about certain situations. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out for you for the better.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, I used this method last night and it did fix my HUD issue. I am going on a road trip this weekend and really wanted to be able to see the BCW indicators. They were off the top of the HUD even at the lowest setting. I did NOT lose the presets for my radio, which I was concerned about. I will mention this issue to my dealership when I bring it in for the first oil change, but I don't have time to take it in before my road trip.

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
Thanks, I used this method last night and it did fix my HUD issue. I am going on a road trip this weekend and really wanted to be able to see the BCW indicators. They were off the top of the HUD even at the lowest setting. I did NOT lose the presets for my radio, which I was concerned about. I will mention this issue to my dealership when I bring it in for the first oil change, but I don't have time to take it in before my road trip.
Mine has drifted again... now to a place where I can't see it.

Looking at the manual today, this fuse is listed as CLUSTER/HUD

I am going to try popping this before disconnecting the battery.

As others have said, the battery disconnect switch should not be used multiple times.
going to video this for the dealer, having a video each time of the failures seems to get the dealer to take action.

https://www.hkona.com/driverv_s_side_fuse_panel-502.html

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm about ready to pull the fuse too. Mine is almost too high to see the blind spot warnings. Be sure to let us know if that was the correct fuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I pulled the Memory fuse and that fixed it. It says on page 7-55 "A/C Control Module, Head Up Display, Instrument Cluster, Electro Chromic Mirror".

You can hear the HUD clunking around as you put the fuse back in. My HUD went from being too high to being too low. I changed my setting from 1 to 8.

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
I pulled the Memory fuse and that fixed it. It says on page 7-55 "A/C Control Module, Head Up Display, Instrument Cluster, Electro Chromic Mirror".

You can hear the HUD clunking around as you put the fuse back in. My HUD went from being too high to being too low. I changed my setting from 1 to 8.

Great find!

When I did mine, it went from a 1 (and not being really visible) to a 7.

When I first purchased the car it was a 5, so it's drifted over time :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I pulled the memory fuse mentioned above yesterday. Once again the HUD I can adjust so I can see it. Thanks! Great find.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts