Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just updated my maps on my Iron Man Edition which also updates many other functions including the radio. The new graphics showing the channel in old fashion electronic tubes are pretty cool. I wanted to add a new station to my Presets. According to the online manual, it says to simply go to the station you want, then press the Star icon. Yes, it temporarily appears in the presets but it says "Recording". It will stay that way even after shutting off the car. However, if I switch to a different station, the original station still says Recording while none of the other presets say that. How can I simply add it to the list of my presets and not record the station. I'm not even sure what "Recording" means. Can I go back and listen to songs that previously played? How many songs will it store? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just updated my maps on my Iron Man Edition which also updates many other functions including the radio. The new graphics showing the channel in old fashion electronic tubes are pretty cool. I wanted to add a new station to my Presets. According to the online manual, it says to simply go to the station you want, then press the Star icon. Yes, it temporarily appears in the presets but it says "Recording". It will stay that way even after shutting off the car. However, if I switch to a different station, the original station still says Recording while none of the other presets say that. How can I simply add it to the list of my presets and not record the station. I'm not even sure what "Recording" means. Can I go back and listen to songs that previously played? How many songs will it store? Thanks in advance for any help.
I believe the radio will record the ten SXM channels you enter in preset whether you want it to or not. With the new presets, if you have more than ten SXM channels I'm not sure which would be recorded or not. There really is no downside to a channel being recorded.

My big problem with this update is that apparently album cover art is no longer displayed on SXM or HD radio at all.

The old tube images are the old "Nixie Tube" displays. This is nice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the radio will record the ten SXM channels you enter in preset whether you want it to or not. With the new presets, if you have more than ten SXM channels I'm not sure which would be recorded or not. There really is no downside to a channel being recorded.

My big problem with this update is that apparently album cover art is no longer displayed on SXM or HD radio at all.

The old tube images are the old "Nixie Tube" displays. This is nice.
Thanks for the reply. It seems like there are 12 available presets (6 on each page). I only have 10 presets so far so I still have 2 empty and only 6 of the 10 are SXM channels. What's weird is that prior to the upgrade, I had all but one of those presets. When I select any of the prior 9, they don't say Record. The only one that says Recording is the new one, and continues to Record even if I switch to another station. As you said, I guess there's no downside to it recording, but why only that one station and none of the others? What if I DO want to record a different station; will it let me? Very strange. But it works so I guess I'll let it go. I just like to know "why" things work. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It seems like there are 12 available presets (6 on each page). I only have 10 presets so far so I still have 2 empty and only 6 of the 10 are SXM channels. What's weird is that prior to the upgrade, I had all but one of those presets. When I select any of the prior 9, they don't say Record. The only one that says Recording is the new one, and continues to Record even if I switch to another station. As you said, I guess there's no downside to it recording, but why only that one station and none of the others? What if I DO want to record a different station; will it let me? Very strange. But it works so I guess I'll let it go. I just like to know "why" things work. Thanks again.
What happens if you delete and re-add one of the SXM channels that does not now record?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did some experimenting. When tuned to a preset channel, pressing the STAR will delete it. If you press STAR again, it will be saved and if it is an SXM channel it will be recorded. The ten most-recently-saved SXM channels get recorded.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some experimenting. When tuned to a preset channel, pressing the STAR will delete it. If you press STAR again, it will be saved and if it is an SXM channel it will be recorded. The ten most-recently-saved SXM channels get recorded.
Thanks. I'll play with it too. Curious to see what "recording" actually means: how long does it record, does it keep the recording after shutting off the car? Just seems strange. But thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. I'll play with it too. Curious to see what "recording" actually means: how long does it record, does it keep the recording after shutting off the car? Just seems strange. But thanks again.
I don't have the latest UI but the 'recording' functionality has been with my Sirus radio since I received the car in '19. For the first ten radio presets, 'record' is always on. The record begins from when the car and radio start. The record is used for the rewind feature ( << button on the touchscreen) so that you can go back to the beginning of a song and hear it from the start. The 'recording' isn't kept; you can't play the recording from yesterday's drive. I think of the 'recording' functionality more as a "buffer" than a true recording. Its intended purpose is to allow you to go back to the beginning of a song.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have the latest UI but the 'recording' functionality has been with my Sirus radio since I received the car in '19. For the first ten radio presets, 'record' is always on. The record begins from when the car and radio start. The record is used for the rewind feature ( << button on the touchscreen) so that you can go back to the beginning of a song and hear it from the start. The 'recording' isn't kept; you can't play the recording from yesterday's drive. I think of the 'recording' functionality more as a "buffer" than a true recording. Its intended purpose is to allow you to go back to the beginning of a song.
Thanks for the reply. That's kinda what I figured. However, none of my other pre-sets say Recording, only the new one that I just did after the update. I have to check to see if the new pre-set that says Recording is recording constantly while the car is on or only once I switch to that station. It's not a big deal but just strange that only the one pre-set says Recording. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's not a big deal but just strange that only the one pre-set says Recording. Thanks again.
So, I just got the update myself and now I see the difference. You're right, none of my former presets had the 'REC' option set. And, like you, when I added a new preset (hit the 'star' button) it was set as 'REC'. From the 'List' of Sirius channels, I did find that I can select other channels to record by pressing the 'REC' icon next to the 'star' icon. And, the radio only permits 10 'REC' channels.

Overall, I'm not thrilled with the new radio interface. The old 'presets' allowed me to place channels in any order I wanted but now they're always numerical (small buttons along the bottom). The vacuum tube image is not functional.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts