Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read, the Kona lower trims have halogen vs LED on the higher trims. I also read that the IIHS rated the halogen headlights as very poor. Does anybody who own the SE or SEL confirm if the headlights are inadequate or poor during night time driving in rural areas? There are a lot of deers in the highway where I will be driving mostly. Thank you.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Realistically, they're fine, the colour just sucks. The throw and high beams are fine for night driving and it's not like you're driving against yourself. I think the poor rating was because oncoming traffic had a hard time seeing past a kona.

Replacing the fog lights with a canbus LED kit is a great upgrade for night driving. It's like having your own set of rigids but you're not screaming millimeter peter to the world.

That being said, the Philips diamond vision halogen bulbs are a great colour, and very similar to the LED running lights.

Just don't blast traffic with your upgraded fog lights, they're liable to just pull over and stop it's so bright.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Realistically, they're fine, the colour just sucks. The throw and high beams are fine for night driving and it's not like you're driving against yourself. I think the poor rating was because oncoming traffic had a hard time seeing past a kona.

Replacing the fog lights with a canbus LED kit is a great upgrade for night driving. It's like having your own set of rigids but you're not screaming millimeter peter to the world.

That being said, the Philips diamond vision halogen bulbs are a great colour, and very similar to the LED running lights.

Just don't blast traffic with your upgraded fog lights, they're liable to just pull over and stop it's so bright.
Agreed !! The projectors do a good job with pattern and focus... it’s the color temperature that sucks ! Especially
When mixed with 6K LED lights.. Hate the mixed color look.. looks cheap ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
headlights

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that the stock headlights on the lower trims did not extend far enough to see incoming obstacles. But if it's just the color of the light I think it's fine. I just don't want to run over something that I can't see because of poor visibility via headlights. So you should be fine using the halogens that come with it during rural driving at night then?

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that the stock headlights on the lower trims did not extend far enough to see incoming obstacles. But if it's just the color of the light I think it's fine. I just don't want to run over something that I can't see because of poor visibility via headlights. So you should be fine using the halogens that come with it during rural driving at night then?
The design has to meet US spec .. if you don’t think its performing well , have the dealer do a headlight alignment check. They might need an adjustment..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agree with the comments on the colour and fog lights. I was quite disappointed with the OEM light throw.
Major improvement by swapping the fog lights for LED. Looking at swapping the headlights out soon as well - now that longer nights are upon us.
Yoinkerman posted a great thread, talking about his bulb switch.

It'd be interesting if you could find (wrecked or other) top trim Kona headlights to swap out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you are coming off of another car with halogen headlights then I think you will be fine. I have an SE and while the headlights could be better, they aren't worse then my previous car or anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
The manual states that some cars are equipped with headlight levelers.. There is an automatic and manual
Leveling system. Is this a Euro thing or do US spec cars get headlight leveling too ?
If the car is loaded the headlights would adjust automatically as not to blind oncoming cars..
So many questions... so little info on this car ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that the auto leveling is only on the LED version as not to dazzle the oncoming traffic when going over uneven roads etc. I must admit even at its highest setting my halogen lights are nowhere near as high as they need to be and do not reach as far ahead as my eyes are looking.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Not auto leveling, they actually dip the lights from bright to low beam. Once the car in the opposite lane has passed they return bright until overridden by the operator.

Blessings and Peace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts