Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of having the hood treated with a vinyl wrap, similar texture & colour to the body side mouldings.
I know it would lean towards the look of the Jeep Cherokees.

Rough mock up attached. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm always open to spiffing up a car....however, that mock up seems a bit heavy looking to me. I believe after a few years you'll be regretting the wrap because, like a mylar bra application on the nose of a vehicle, the edges will lift and dirt will accumulate at the edges leaving an ugly rough line. Plus, sunlight will discolor the unprotected finish and leave you with an original surf blue stripe. You may be gettting rid of it after a couple years but what if you keep it, then you'll be unhappy with how the hood looks. And the hood is something you look at all the time.

I have a surf blue one also, thought about painting or body wrapping the roof black, but once you mess with a factory surface, its not near as durable.
Great vehicle....love mine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great points, appreciate the insight & comments.

I had the dealership plasti-dip the front & rear "H", plus de-badge the rear end and apply a light tint around all windows.
Now that the smoke has finally cleared here in the Okanagan, I'll be taking a few pics of my ride for my garage page.

Also, once I go through winter, was considering swapping out the stock rims,keeping them as winter rims and apply new 18" summers.
These are the options I was considering. Leaning towards Option 1, as 2 reminds me of Mazda and 3 may look too blacked out.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
If and when you decide to have the hood film put on .. do not let the dealer if that was a thought. Find a highly reputable tint shop that does 3M film or Oracle or Avery and go with a satin not matte as the satin will heal faster if scuffed but note that scuffs and over time tiny rock chips will take it toll on the wrap. Also No car washes using any type of brushes etc only hand wash with a soft cloth. Wraps are great but the 300 plus to install it and they only last a few years depending on care and weather.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If and when you decide to have the hood film put on .. Find a highly reputable tint shop.
I agree. There are 2 shops locally that I know the owners of. Have seen the work they've done and a few body shops swear by them.
They offer guarantees to back their work, but also recommend the hand wash care & maintenance.
Still very iffy at this point. I'm really quite happy with the Kona look & design so taking my time on big, visual changes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Any wrap is a pandora box in ways, my tint guy does complete body wraps and that 4-5k , I had considered the panda look on mine since it is white but have had wraps and they are not worth the headache especially living in cold region or high heat that puts stress on it and the most irritating part is individuals who have to look by touching. The wrap and most places only warranty failure of adhesion not scratches or rock chips so it is gamble and that is why mine has basically the front half all clear bra from top to bottom.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wrap the back of the mirrors too.

I was going to DIY as the materials are not that expensive. I would need to channel some inner strength to find the patience to do the job well enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts