Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my vehicle brochure, it shows the top of the line 1.6 comes with the auto dimming home link rear view mirror.
It's the only trim line to offer it.

Any heard of or seen either a Hyundai special order or aftermarket mirror that can be installed without hacking the shiznet out of everything?

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Not that I've seen. I just checked the Hyundai Shop and all they have is the Auto Dimming Mirror. Part of it has to do with the BlueLink, POI Navigation buttons and Upgraded head Unit in the Ultimate trim. There would be far to much cost to trade out the head unit, various data cables and the Homelink mirror.

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: OK ynot

·
Registered
2018 Kona
14 Posts
I installed the above kit (found it for $185 on eBay). Very easy and straightforward with the included instructions. Everything is included. Took about 30 minutes. The link to the instructions is also on the above kit page so you can see what’s involved.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice find, thanks! Would be happy with just the garage remote button, so the compass is bonus - bluelink is not important.
Of course getting here in (or to) Canada will be interesting, but at least I have something to base it on.
Appreciate the link.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Interested in the mirror, confused over models ? This is an v003, two wire hookup to what looks like just acc. power ? Ebay has other models similiar, are the models differences to do with electronic bluelink, etc for compatibility to radio of car model ? Guessing 12vdc to a similiar auto dim/compass model would work too ?

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Both actually. BlueLink Service, POI for navigation and the head unit itself are upgraded from the lesser trims. It's doable but wouldn't be worth the cost overall. It would take replacing the head unit, 7 to 8" touch screen, data harnesses, mirror, then attempt to acquire a BlueLink subscription against the VIN, replacement and upgrade of speakers etc. So as you can see i just wouldn't be worth it.

I understand there are other services available thru specific vendors such as OnStar https://www.onstar.com/us/en/home/. My understanding is you can purchase it as a separate unit which will interface with any vehicle. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=onstar+mirror&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=241927995094&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14719493130207185333&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030464&hvtargid=kwd-1692116593&ref=pd_sl_l8krc5h6r_e

Not cheap by any means but it's available.

Interested in the mirror, confused over models ? This is an v003, two wire hookup to what looks like just acc. power ? Ebay has other models similar, are the models differences to do with electronic Bluelink, etc for compatibility to radio of car model ? Guessing 12vdc to a similiar auto dim/compass model would work too ?

My understanding is it will interface with all models except the Ultimate. check with your dealer to be sure. Here is the Installation PDF which may shed some more light on your quesion;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YPQLrKrnx6_Bq-VGFT7H2yUP60qlbyLM/view

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well to be more clear on question, will any auto dim mirror and compass work ? Have seen other hyundia listed mirrors, cheaper. Second question was the mirror models specific for connecting to the radio, etc. So if the two wire connection is just 12 volts, then other general mirrors should work. Just the question of the base mount I guess.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Finally got a contact with gentech Mirrors ? None of their mirror mounts fit on hyundia cars, you have to remove oem mount and glue theirs in place, so I am told. Well for sure the KONA model.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
The accessory mirror from Hyundai is a straight swap but will have to be wired in. Doesn't require another mount.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
273 Posts
The accessory mirror from Hyundai is a straight swap but will have to be wired in. Doesn't require another mount.

Blessings and Peace
This MIGHT be an update.
Looks like this could be a plug and play for Limited's. No running wire, fighting air bags, etc.

I just installed my radar detector and found a harness plugged into the mirror. This is on a lightly loaded limited, no bluelink.

Pg 6 of the installation instructions in the above PDF show the shroud covering the mount and wire connection.

I used the power for the mirror to power my detector.

If/when I upgrade the mirror I'll update this post.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Naturally and that's a good thing for limited owners.

Blessings and Peace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts