Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We have just picked up our 2018 Hyundai Kona 64kWh Premier EV on Friday, 💖 and now need to urgently get a WALL (home) charger fitted on the Isle of Wight UK.

There are so many chargers out there and after getting a headache watching YouTube videos I thought I would come to the experts "on here" for help please. ;)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Lucky

·
Registered
2019/20 Electric Highlander
116 Posts
Its gonna be different based on your needs I guess. I went for a minimalist solution EO Mini that's high quality but fairly lo-tech, ie no interface :)

It looks like the Mini Pro 2 is cheaper and has more features, so I'd be happy with that as well. Nice and compact units, look very tidy. Nearly 3 years in and no issues ever.

I just let the Kona do off peak charging using its own internal timers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its gonna be different based on your needs I guess. I went for a minimalist solution EO Mini that's high quality but fairly lo-tech, ie no interface :)

It looks like the Mini Pro 2 is cheaper and has more features, so I'd be happy with that as well. Nice and compact units, look very tidy. Nearly 3 years in and no issues ever.

I just let the Kona do off peak charging using its own internal timers.
Thank you Mr P :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also it looks like I am not going to be able to get my charger installed until next week 😢 can anybody advise me on how long?, or if its better or can do damage to the car using the normal 3 pin 240v charger (supplied with the car) from the house socket please.

P.S. I have just connected it and it says 22 hours to 100% :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019/20 Electric Highlander
116 Posts
Also it looks like I am not going to be able to get my charger installed until next week 😢 can anybody advise me on how long?, or if its better or can do damage to the car using the normal 3 pin 240v charger (supplied with the car) from the house socket please.

P.S. I have just connected it and it says 22 hours to 100% :rolleyes:
240v Charger is fine, but slow as you noticed. I did find mine actually tripped my breaker so it might run best on a dedicated breaker. I didnt worry about it too much as I had the EO charger installed, I was just experimenting with trickle charging while my solar was in excess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a 240 (level 2) charger made by Enel X model is ‘Juice Box 40’. I choose the model with the plug and installed it myself. Although It’s capable of providing 40a of charging current, the Kona EV can only, and will only, accept 7300kW. We had an older style Juice Box 32 that had some sort of issue and Enel X exchanged it for the newer model AND upgraded it from the 32a version to the 40a without any costs to me. Enel X has great customer service. I haven’t had any issues with it since I got it several months ago. I highly recommend it if you can get it your area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
240v Charger is fine, but slow as you noticed. I did find mine actually tripped my breaker so it might run best on a dedicated breaker. I didnt worry about it too much as I had the EO charger installed, I was just experimenting with trickle charging while my solar was in excess.
Thanks again but is there a max time limit on the standard 240v slow charger?, my dealer said 4-6 hours max so I am charging it 6 hours a day atm?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my Enel X Juice Box 40, the charge rate can be changed by adjusting the max amps, anywhere from 6a to 32a. The time is determined by the max amps set and the SOC of the batteries. There really isn't a max time limit. The only max limit I'm aware of today is the 80% max charge due to the Kona Battery Recall, if you are affected by that.

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
272 Posts
Thanks again but is there a max time limit on the standard 240v slow charger?, my dealer said 4-6 hours max so I am charging it 6 hours a day atm?.
Weird. No, afaik there is no max. The car looks after the charging by itself. All you have to do is plug in & leave it to the car to figure out the rest. If there is a limit (& I’m pretty sure there isn’t) the car will apply it without input from you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you and that's what I thought, he also said that I have Bluelink on the car BUT I can't find it in any menus?. 😥
Hi Bluelink is a phone app that collect information from the car, that includes level of charge etc. I believe it is available on Android and Apple phones. You can search Bluelink in Youtube for more explanation. Hope that helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Vaman, and yes I have downloaded it onto my phone, BUT I have searched the car menu and can't find it anywhere (it shows an icon on some YouTube videos) and when I try to connect from my phone it says "this import request failed because the network connection of this car is unstable" and now the dealer is not getting back to me and after spending all this money on the car. :cry:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Weird. No, afaik there is no max. The car looks after the charging by itself. All you have to do is plug in & leave it to the car to figure out the rest. If there is a limit (& I’m pretty sure there isn’t) the car will apply it without input from you.
Good answer. There is no time limit when charging. The car will stop accepting a charge when the batteries reach a certain voltage, controlled by the car itself. Dealer either misunderstood or is ignorant, or is making stuff up. Some dealers do that, although I don't know why. Did you get a manual with the car? Try reading what it says about charging.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi everyone,

We have just picked up our 2018 Hyundai Kona 64kWh Premier EV on Friday, 💖 and now need to urgently get a WALL (home) charger fitted on the Isle of Wight UK.

There are so many chargers out there and after getting a headache watching YouTube videos I thought I would come to the experts "on here" for help please. ;)

Lucky

Hi There

I'm a new owner of KONA EV Premium 2021 .
I'm looking at having a wall plug fitted home too, however, I did come across a company that you only have to pay the subscription for the home wall charger, the installation of the home charger is free of charge and I'm very much considering it.
Have a look at this:

Have you had your wall plug installed and if so, what home plug charger you opted to have fitted please?
Look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Valy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi everyone,

Lucky
I've had good luck with the Juice Box brand, I bought thru Amazon. I had to have a new 50 amp 220v receptacle installed in my garage. My HOA was surprisingly gracious in giving permission. Usually, they are a pain in the neck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts