Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I'm putting a hitch on my 2020 ultimate for an eventual bike rack. Anybody here have any experience with this? Did you use the $350 Hyandai hitch or were you able to use a Kurt hitch? Did you have to lower the muffler? Any insight would be appreciated. I'm short so a roof rack is not an option. Thx all!

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
The U-Haul hitch is the Kurt as well - I want to say it was about $200 installed.

@frank - Class one hitch, you'd need to get a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter or see if someone offered a pivot like solution that was also a step down adapter. Or you could always fabricate your own or source a local shop that could do it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
U-Haul is the way to go IMO. Under $200 installed and comes with a lifetime guarantee, if you buy it from them and have them install it.
Rear Trailer Hitch.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
The U-Haul hitch is the Kurt as well - I want to say it was about $200 installed.

@frank - Class one hitch, you'd need to get a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter or see if someone offered a pivot like solution that was also a step down adapter. Or you could always fabricate your own or source a local shop that could do it.

Mania-
Thx. Kuat recommends against stepping down from 2” to 1.25” (but you can do the reverse). There’s an option to swap out the lower assembly of the Kuat rack but it starts to get expensive relative to other options. Thx.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mania-
Thx. Kuat recommends against stepping down from 2” to 1.25” (but you can do the reverse). There’s an option to swap out the lower assembly of the Kuat rack but it starts to get expensive relative to other options. Thx.
I went with their lower end rack - there Transfer, the only model they have that has 1 1/4 but comes with an aluminum sleeve to bump up to 2". I've had no problems with it even though it doesn't look as robust as their other racks. I'd do it again or go with the RockyMounts Westslope (which looks almost identical to the kuat transfer).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thx. I already have a Kuat NV 2.0 w/a 2" receiver (used on truck & SUV). If I start swapping parts (i.e.: the lower) or if I buy another rack, it gets rather pricey.

I may go roof rack as it’ll actually be less than installing a hitch and starting over with a hitch rack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed Curt hitch on my fwd Kona. It was not necessary to drop the muffler. However, one of the bolts needs to be shortened in order to install. I have post elsewhere on this forum that describes the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts