Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kona Trend in red
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, glad to find this forum.

I don't have a Kona yet, but we are probably pulling the plug this week. I am a disability support worker, and the local dealerships are giving an $1800 incentive to all essential service people up to the end of the month. We currently have a 2016 Elantra Sport which we bought new and had planned on trading in around this time anyway. We have our eye on a red Preferred class 2020 Kona. My only concern is the lack of acceleration- I am a car guy from way back, and although I don't expect the push back in the seat that my Corvette had but it does seem fairly sucky. Do not like turbos, so bumping up to the 1.8 turbo is not an option. We have test driven two different 2020's, so it is not a case of testing a lemon... As this is meant to be our daily driver it is not a big deal but I may need to tweak... I am also doing a ground up restoration on a 1967 Mustang coupe with 30,000 original miles that has not seen road in almost 30 years.

BTW, everyone we have talked to about the Kona loves it. Our next door neighbor bought a new 2020 Kona, after 4 months got t-boned and the car was written off... She went back and bought the exact same car, right down to being white (blech). That is some testament to the Kona.

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
236 Posts
Hi from Calgary!

I own the Ultimate (turbo) so I can't comment on your potential 2.0L but generally no "car guy" would even consider it.

·
Registered
2020 Kona Trend in red
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I test drive a 1.6T OTWH from work today... then I got my wife and had her test drive. WOW- I see what you mean...

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Kona
38 Posts
I've had the 2.0L engine in a few Elantras and it's not bad. But I definitely love the 1.6T and DCT. I don't regret the Turbo one bit. No lag, quick acceleration. I don't recommend it if you have never driven a stick before or you will be doing a large part of your commute in traffic.

·
Registered
2020 Kona Trend in red
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I would agree. Our Elantra had lots of pep with the 2.0, but I found the 2.0 in the Kona to be a bit minivan-ish. With the 1.6T, I look for excuses to hit the highway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts