Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not all cvts are terrible like honda's first attempt and nissans. I'll reserve judgement till after i drive one. After all hyundai makes a good dct unlike ford and vw.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Subaru is almost all CVT's now and it hardly ever gets mentioned. My last car had a CVT, and it had both good and bad points. We will have to see on Hyundai.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 2019 Kia Forte is CVT and the review say most driver will not notice the difference with a geared transmission.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I like the idea of the Multi port fuel injection.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of the Multi port fuel injection.

Blessings and Peace

That solves the carbon issue, two injectors per cylinder. one GDI, the other port injected to wash the intake port/valve. 2 years too late for most of us.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
That solves the carbon issue, two injectors per cylinder. one GDI, the other port injected to wash the intake port/valve. 2 years too late for most of us.
I had a scion 2013 FRS for a couple of years.. it had GDI and multiport injection.. the system would choose which system to use depending on needs.. the car was mostly Subaru.. but the fuel system was developed by Toyota.. noisy fuel pump issues plagued these cars.. great handing car.. but the engine disappoints..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hyundai should just go the same route as Toyota has with their CVT and offer a launch gear. The main criticism for these transmissions has always been acceleration and that's no longer a problem for newer Toyota products.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
No CVT for me. Sorry!

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
I never met a CVT I liked... :wink:
It makes the car feel “detached” and out of sync... not for me..

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Hyundai should just go the same route as Toyota has with their CVT and offer a launch gear. The main criticism for these transmissions has always been acceleration and that's no longer a problem for newer Toyota products.
I should keep an open mind about them as technology improves the CVT.. Something unsettling about the tranny
Slipping constantly.. I get the advantage of keeping the engine at the same revs for better mileage, etc... but
Find them un-natural... I’m old and believe in being connected to the car..

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
It's not that you should, you might if you are interested in owning one. If not don't.:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
It's not that you should, you might if you are interested in owning one. If not don't.:grin:

Blessings and Peace
For me personally... I would not own one.. but I must claim ignorance when it comes to the new technologies used
In CVT’s.. other family members are more conventional than me and would opt for an automatic every time..
So I try to keep abreast of all things automotive... since I will either have to pay for it or end up fixing something if it broke..

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's also extremely difficult to 'simulate' gears though I know a lot of different automakers have tried. You wouldn't believe how many new owners of CVT's come on to forums asking why their car isn't shifting past 3rd or 4th gear lol.

·
Super Moderator
477 Posts
I liked the CVT on the HRV, great for commuting and mileage. It had almost 60K miles before I traded it in. With the current DCT. I think I have owned cars with all the available types transmission. Toyota just came out with a manual that does RMP matching for entry level cars.

For anyone that likes to drive an automatic and do some occasional shifting manually. DCT is probably the best.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Note only the Elantra in Korea will have a CVT, all US 2019 will have the following: SE.SEL Value , ECO, Limited

Starting MSRP (manual transmission) $17,100 ( SE)
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Starting MSRP (automatic transmission) $18,100 $19,400 $20,400 $20,950 $22,600
Starting MSRP (Dual Clutch Transmission)
N/A
N/A
N/A
$20,950
N/A

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Note only the Elantra in Korea will have a CVT, all US 2019 will have the following: SE.SEL Value , ECO, Limited

Starting MSRP (manual transmission) $17,100 ( SE)
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Starting MSRP (automatic transmission) $18,100 $19,400 $20,400 $20,950 $22,600
Starting MSRP (Dual Clutch Transmission)
N/A
N/A
N/A
$20,950
N/A

Yes, but they are coming. we seem to be 2 model years behind Korea. We should see CVTs and dual injector to stop port/valve carbonizing in the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[ame]https://youtu.be/38CpmXsIbeo?t=926[/ame] :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Yes, but they are coming. we seem to be 2 model years behind Korea. We should see CVTs and dual injector to stop port/valve carbonizing in the 2020 model year.
I agree.. I's still amazed they sell a DCT ! I cant imagine what LA rush hour traffic would do to a DCT in short order.. especially to drivers who are clueless about
automated manuals..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I purposely got the SEL to avoid the DCT, and crossed other brands (Honda, Subaru) off my list because I hated the looks inside and out PLUS they had CVT. just no

1 - 20 of 21 Posts