Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2020 Kona AWD 6-speed automatic transmission. ~5000 The 1st time this happened I was driving on the interstate when I see warning on my dash from the Forward Collision warning system. I looked all around & there was not a car in sight & a second later I felt the car jolt like I had hit something. Since there was no on around I though it must have been a rock (felt like a large rock. I pulled over, shut off the engine got out, checked all the tires or any sign of a collision, & found nothing. I got back on the road & all was well so I chalked it up as a weird mystery. It's happened 3 more times with the same sequence of events. First time was 10/16/20 the last 2Xs on 11/13. I had the car towed to the nearest dealer & of course they can't replicate the problem. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sequence of events:
1)"Forward Collision Avoidance FCA Warning" & "Blind Spot Detection" warning to check blind spot,
2) Then a jarring jolt in the front end
3) Then high whine coming from engine that sounds like too high rpms for the gear you are in.

It's happened 3X at 70mph on the highway & 1X at 40mph. I happened 2X today 11/12.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I meant to say the "mileage is ~5000mi" & sorry about the other typos as well. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Greetings
Hasn't happened on the kona but has on our Cherokee nobody within 100yards :eek:when the light comes on, the brakes lock up and the transmission down shifts.
Jeep adjusted the front sensor, hasn't happened again.

fyi: our daughter in law has to keep hers OFF, not because anything is wrong she drives like an !>0+ 70mph changes lanes 5' off a rear bumper DUH!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I don't really want "turning off the sensor" to be a solution. The "Collision Avoidance" system is one reasons I purchased the vehicle.
Thanks for the input though!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your title says "transmission" but that's not at all likely to be the problem. The car seems to be reacting to some degree to thinking that a collision is about to occur which is why those lights are going on. It pretty much has to be a sensor issue or something along those lines, followed by the car engaging the brakes and transmission briefly in an effort to stop the vehicle.

To be honest, I intentionally avoided the collision system when I bought my Kona by choosing the '18 SE, which had nothing collision related standard or even as an option. This is not Hyundai specific, its just that with every brand if you do research you find that the collision systems, while useful, are NOT 100% perfected yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,150 Posts
So is the car actually downshifting and causing the high revs ? Or is the noise from something else ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So yes, this does seem to be related to a sensor issue & was discussed by many in this thread in this Forum "Blind spot collision warning?" It has been experienced by many & It's gone unsolved for quite a while resulting in cars being sold due frustration & fear of accidents due to the abrupt automatic down shifting at high speeds. My service people finally discussed it with regional service reps & hopefully solved by replacing the "Inhibitor switch". I got my car back last week & have since driven it ~50miles. I won't be sure for many more miles due to the intermittency of the problem, but so far so good. I'll try to remember to post an update in a couple of months. Thanks to this Forum as I don't think it would have been solved so quickly for me if others hadn't brought it to my (& therefore my service people's) attention as it "didn't throw any error codes".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is the car actually downshifting and causing the high revs ? Or is the noise from something else ?
Yes, not violent downshifting. It felt like I hit a large rock. Potential catastrophic in slippery weather. See my last reply above "hopefully solved by replacing the "Inhibitor switch"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts