Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We live in outer Sydney, Australia. We just bought a Kona Highlander EV and loving it. I wish we had the bells and whistles you folk get in USA/Canada/Europe, but our pathetic excuses for political leaders are punishing EV early adopters here with per kilometer taxes rather than encouraging them with tax relief and subsidies. As a result sales here are low and we get the dregs from the manufacturers at comparatively inflated prices. My Kona cost AUD$71k drive away, no deals and little choice available as EVs are in short supply. But I still love it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dude!. From what I can tell, we in AUS miss out on speed sign recognition and how that's integrated into cruise control, the Hyundai phone-car connection thingy (I can't remember what it's called, is it Blue Link?), battery heater (we do have sub zero temperatures and snow here!). I think the big thing you guys missed out on in the USA was the heat pump, but maybe in 2021 models you will get it? I'm not sure if I have it - I have not been able to find a definitive statement about 2021 Australian models. What else do you think we have that you don't ?

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
258 Posts
Yeah, I think they’re great too. Enjoy the car 🙂👍

Standard model should have Autolink (Aus version of Bluelink) & your Highlander should have Autolink Premium (remote engine & heater start, etc). See your dealer if it isn’t activated. You’ve got to sign up for it, which means agreeing to Hyundai monitoring your driving, charging, etc. If you’re worried about sharing this with Hyundai you will have to forgo the Autolink features.

I’m pretty sure you have heat pump, & if it’s same as mine it’s the Nav system that recognises speed limits set from preloaded map info. My cruise control doesn’t recognise speed signs. But I have 2020 model. Not sure if there is battery warmer, but not sure I’d worry about it. Canberra forecast is snow possible next week, but I keep car in garage most times, where temp rarely dips below 10 deg C. Car should be fine as long as, like most cars, you’re a bit careful when driving cold.

Have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey TRT,

I just found this. No Autolink for me 😕 Maybe a good thing. On my way to that site I read about a lot of problems with Autolink, with cars locking up and being undriveable. Maybe Hyundai just canned it as not worth the effort.

Yes, the nav system does give speed warnings, but the speed limit data in the system as delivered did not match local real world speed limits that have been in place for a number of years. I just did a nav system update (released May 31) but haven't had a chance to check it.. There is more accurate info on charging stations, though, but still some inaccuracies - the charging station at my dealer is not listed, for one!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks Dude!. From what I can tell, we in AUS miss out on speed sign recognition and how that's integrated into cruise control, the Hyundai phone-car connection thingy (I can't remember what it's called, is it Blue Link?), battery heater (we do have sub zero temperatures and snow here!). I think the big thing you guys missed out on in the USA was the heat pump, but maybe in 2021 models you will get it? I'm not sure if I have it - I have not been able to find a definitive statement about 2021 Australian models. What else do you think we have that you don't ?

From what I've seen, mind you this isn't in the EV version: HUD, ambient lighting, heated rear wing seats, rear USB port, leather trim (n-line), 4 drive modes v. 3 in the US, ventilated seats, hybrid engine option, heated steering wheel, power folding mirrors and paddle shifters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We live in outer Sydney, Australia. We just bought a Kona Highlander EV and loving it. I wish we had the bells and whistles you folk get in USA/Canada/Europe, but our pathetic excuses for political leaders are punishing EV early adopters here with per kilometer taxes rather than encouraging them with tax relief and subsidies. As a result sales here are low and we get the dregs from the manufacturers at comparatively inflated prices. My Kona cost AUD$71k drive away, no deals and little choice available as EVs are in short supply. But I still love it.
Q: Why should taxpayers subsidize 'early adopters'? Sales are low because of, amongst other things, (a) prices are too high (my 2018 Highlander cost $28,990); (b) range - try driving from Perth to Darwin in an EV, or pretty much anywhere in Western Australia; and (3) the cost of either battery or whole vehicle replacement in approx. 10 years time.
PS: I'm happy that you're happy with your vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the same reasons that far-sighted countries elsewhere in the world, like USA, Canada, the UK and a number in Europe are doing it - to assist in the transition from a fossil powered, polluting, greenhouse-producing transport fleet to one that is universally accepted as the most suitable alternative. True, EVs may not be practical in WA for some time, but they are becoming increasingly so in the eastern states where the vast bulk of the Australian population resides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts