Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still going through my manual and was surprised and disappointed to see that the side view mirrors aren’t heated. Heck my 2018 Volt had those. I’m also disappointed by the lack of cameras available to the driver. I’ve got a new 2020 Ultimate and the only camera available is the backup. Nothing for the front, sides or an overhead that most other cars nowadays have. It’s not like they use a lot of power.

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
256 Posts
I still going through my manual and was surprised and disappointed to see that the side view mirrors aren’t heated. Heck my 2018 Volt had those. I’m also disappointed by the lack of cameras available to the driver. I’ve got a new 2020 Ultimate and the only camera available is the backup. Nothing for the front, sides or an overhead that most other cars nowadays have. It’s not like they use a lot of power.
Yes, I agree. Even though I found spiders REALLY liked the heated mirrors in my old Citroen

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
296 Posts
I’ve got a new 2020 Ultimate and the only camera available is the backup. Nothing for the front, sides or an overhead that most other cars nowadays have. It’s not like they use a lot of power.
If you drive such a small car and need all the sensors / cameras that a large SUV has, maybe you shouldn't be driving at all...

In Canada heated side mirrors are standard even on base (Essential) trim.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if I was a condescending ass maybe I shouldn’t be posting...
Sorry, that was a bit harsh. Having access to cameras is always an asset regardless of the size of the vehicle and the Kona doesn’t feel small even though it is.
Here in New England, heated mirrors would be a welcome addition especially since in the manual it says not to scrape ice off of the mirrors or you may damage the glass surface.

·
Registered
2021 Kona 1.6T Ultimate
12 Posts
According to hyundaiusa.com, the only trim level that doesn't come with heated side mirrors is the gas SE.

They come on with the rear defroster, according to the manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to hyundaiusa.com, the only model that doesn't come with heated side mirrors is the gas SE.

They come on with the rear defroster, according to the manual.
My apologies. I wasn’t clear in my original post
that I have a Kona EV.

·
Registered
2021 Kona 1.6T Ultimate
12 Posts
My apologies. I wasn’t clear in my original post
that I have a Kona EV.
No apologies necessary. I knew I was viewing a thread in the EV forum, so I specifically looked up the features of a 2020 EV. Below is the link to the specs and a screenshot showing heated side mirrors as standard. I looked up the gas models to see why the manual says "If your vehicle is equipped with the side view mirror defrosters, they will operate at the same time you turn on the rear window defroster". You can find that in the rear defroster section of the owners manual.

2020 Hyundai KONA Electric - Features & Specs | Hyundai

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s great. Thanks for finding that. I’m still working my way through the manual and hadn’t seen that yet!

·
Registered
2021 Kona 1.6T Ultimate
12 Posts
That’s great. Thanks for finding that. I’m still working my way through the manual and hadn’t seen that yet!
You're welcome. The only reason I felt like doing some research on it is because I knew I had seen it when I was reading through my manual. People who actually read vehicle owners manuals before a problem appears are exceedingly rare.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're welcome. The only reason I felt like doing some research on it is because I knew I had seen it when I was reading through my manual. People who actually read vehicle owners manuals before a problem appears are exceedingly rare.
I’m trying...it’s like War and Peace - lol

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
209 Posts
Manuals often say "where equipped" so you may still need to refer to the original specifications list.

Worse, in my case the manual doesn't even mention it but the spec sheet does, so I do have heated mirrors, along with automatic folding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are heated just by the air when you turn defrost on I
find you have to run on hight to make work

·
Registered
2021 Kona 1.6T Ultimate
12 Posts
They are heated just by the air when you turn defrost on I
find you have to run on hight to make work
They are not heated by air. There is a heating element on the back side of the mirror. Similar to the element on the rear window.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
43 Posts
If you drive such a small car and need all the sensors / cameras that a large SUV has, maybe you shouldn't be driving at all...

In Canada heated side mirrors are standard even on base (Essential) trim.
Really? Very weird to have it linked to the rear window defroster. I never knew that...

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
209 Posts
I recall on my VW Polo the heaters only worked when the mirror adjustment selector was in the middle (locked) position. It did have an icon there as a hint, however.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are not heated by air. There is a heating element on the back side of the mirror. Similar to the element on the rear window.
Than they don't work well unless I put defrost to high they take awhile to work when they mist up my Cruze would defog in mins

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
296 Posts
Than they don't work well unless I put defrost to high they take awhile to work when they mist up my Cruze would defog in mins
In Korea, cold is -20°C
In USA, cars are also designed to be sold in Canada's / Alaska's -45°C

1 - 20 of 20 Posts