Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I've had the Kona for about 4 months and it's a fantastic vehicle in many respects. However I have noticed something strange about the Heads Up Display (HUD) that may be a defect, wonder if others are experiencing this. Namely, the setting for Display Height behaves erratically. The lowest height setting is 1, and the highest is 20. My preferred setting is 7 which projects the speedometer right in the center of the clear panel. Over the course of several days, however, the image floats higher up the panel, and I have had to set the Display Height to 5, then 3, and finally 1 (the lowest setting) to counteract this. If I let the car sit unused for a few days, upon restarting, the Display Height will recalibrate, pushing the projected image below the bottom of the clear panel at its lowest setting (1), and I have to adjust the setting back up to 7. This cycle has repeated several times and the dealership can't figure it out. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
268 Posts
do not have, but this sounds like the memory setting electronic portion is drifting in memory ? Start a lemon law file, go to dealer and no more words extra, "hud readoout drifts on screen". Dealer service person will try to adlib extra things like, weather, rainy, night or day, to change statement. You have to be a meanie, and insist on the same compliant word for word, three service complaints to qualify for lemon law. Do not let them change one word of complaint ! Just one extra word will disqualify the lemon law action !

·
Registered
357 Posts
do not have, but this sounds like the memory setting electronic portion is drifting in memory ? Start a lemon law file, go to dealer and no more words extra, "hud readoout drifts on screen". Dealer service person will try to adlib extra things like, weather, rainy, night or day, to change statement. You have to be a meanie, and insist on the same compliant word for word, three service complaints to qualify for lemon law. Do not let them change one word of complaint ! Just one extra word will disqualify the lemon law action !

Or...alternatively you could just make an appointment and not go in all in their face and try that approach. Seems a little preemptive to pullout a lemon law request for a first visit and very combative.

I am sure you have but have you saved the setting again?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd prefer to work with the dealer to resolve this. It's a minor annoyance (to have to change the height setting every so often) and sometimes I prefer to turn off the HUD completely to avoid the hassle. Of course, that defeats the purpose of paying extra for the HUD-equipped trim level...

Since the model is so new, it's possible that this isn't a widespread issue right now. I'm hoping Hyundai will issue a software or firmware fix for this. The dealership did add this to their files and said they will check the recall bulletin when I bring in the car for service next time.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

While I can be a bit hyper on some stuff, and it is great you gave us that absolute necessary info if we need to lemon law something. THANK YOU! But to lemon law a car for the HUD display first up, when they clearly can install everything new for $300 give or take. But then again, if you have been trough it before you would be very sensitive to this. So never mind...Thanks again!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mentioning the lemon law, was information you can use now ! They still have to attempt to fix it three times ! Just using the same exact wording for each complaint, will be ammo on your side. At the fourth attempt, now it is verbal pressure on them ! And they know it, cheaper to repair it for you then all the legal cost.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Ham rule of thumb is; three repairs upon the same problem and vehicle, 1st owner and can't be over 1 year after purchase. It varies from state to state https://www.dmv.org/automotive-law/lemon-law.php . However the lemon law is a bit premature though.

It's probably programing in the ECU. There might a fault code being thrown in the ECU. You can do a couple of things on your own;

1. Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and let the ECU reset to factory parameters.

2. Pull the fuse for the HUD and let it reset.

If these two do not work take it in and let them analyze the fault. It will show up on there SAE Analyzer. Just explain to them what is happening and they will first do the same thing I've already commented for you to do. when all else fails, reboot!:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lemon law. Ridiculous to even mention without giving you dealer a chance to fix it. I bet they all go to lunch when they see you pull in.

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
I am not a tall man, 5"9 and I have to use it on setting 1 or it's unreadable for me... i wish it could go higher.

The adjustment is stupid that you can adjust it below the binnacle height.

Even my 5'3 Partner is only setting 5

When I got the car I was also a 5... I will get the dealer to look at it next time.
I need them to fix an annoying seatbelt rattle/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts