Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

I made the switch a couple weeks ago and I haven't looked back. I have had three GTI's and was in the market for a 2022 GTI . As I was getting close to making the purchase I saw a Kona N at a stoplight and I had to test one out for myself. I fell in love with the style and after the test drive I was sold. It really wasn't a competition between the two and I easily parted ways with the GTI. This fits all my needs as a daily driver while being exciting to drive at the same time. Excited to see what Hyundai has planned for years to come.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a lot of us. I daily-ed a MK7.5 GTI for a few years but for some reason it always left me wanting a bit more…they’re fun cars to drive but after a few weeks it just didn’t make me feel much of anything. In my humble opinion they’re too refined for their own good. They’re a good gateway into enthusiast life but after you drive a wider variety of cars they just feel so vanilla.

They sound like vacuums. VW’s systems don’t really allow you to go harder than 8/10. They run out of oomph at about 5,000 RPM…and I found the power delivery to be a bit inconsistent, not to mention the brakes had too much initial bite and the DSG got jerky in traffic. After only about 18 months with it I was ready to move on.

Was planning on a GR Corolla but got bored on a Sunday and decided to go check out the N cars. They absolutely blew me away and offered everything my GTI was missing…they sound mean, the power delivery is butter smooth, the brakes are way more progressive, there’s more steering feedback in the heavier modes, et cetera. You sacrifice a little refinement and ride quality, but who cares. If I wanted something smooth and comfy I’d buy a Lexus.

I originally wanted an Elantra N, but the seats just didn’t work for me. Way, way, way too stiff, and I road trip a fair amount. Plus my fiancée thought the styling was immature and for some reason believes a CUV is somehow exponentially more practical, so I took a Kona N out and the rest is history. I actually think the Elantra N drives a tiny bit better, but the Kona more than makes up for it in comfort and general usability.

Welcome to the Nthusiast family! We’re happy to have ya. It’s interesting to see how many people seem to be moving to the N products these days. I think Hyundai has cooked up something pretty special…that being said, it seems like the Kona N and MK8 GTI are pretty much neck and neck when it comes to speed. The stats say the Kona N is faster, but it seems like actual results vary based on what I see online, if you care about that sort of thing.

I personally don’t…I care about smiles per mile, and there’s nothing under 40-45k or so that can top the N cars. Trust me…I’ve driven a lot of what else is in offer. If you love driving but need a practical package that doesn’t break the bank it doesn’t get much better.
I agree with everything above! I have a friend who has only had Gti's and now he is in the market for an N after seeing mine. He wants to test out the Elantra N but is leaning towards the Kona. Hyundai is making big moves in this segment and plucking away life long VW fanboys such as myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations- picked mine up just a week after you- also Ultra Black! Paid 4% over MSRP :( but did well on the sale of my 2013 Civic Si on Cars & Bids so... pain alleviated a little. We're already calling ours The Batmobile. It's such a blast and I just don't get all the complaints about height and stiffness- this thing is a modern sleeper and the height just helps hide it's true intentions and abilities. And no, I'm not going for lap times at Watkins Glen in it. Would I lower an inch if OEM springs were available? Maybe. Do I love driving a giant-killer that looks like the demon child of a GTi and a CRV? Yes, yes indeed. I did consider briefly the GTI- but the messed up infotainment, VAG maintenance history, and lower performance for the $ turned me off. Only real other consideration was the M240i but $$$$$ and none to test drive anywhere near me... oh and HEAVY... and did I mention $$$$$? So here I am, glad to be part of the N family and happy to be driving a "CUV" named after good coffee and good earth :). My other car is a 2004 Miata- now I go from smiles per gallon to... more smiles per gallon!
View attachment 7135
Thats awesome! I like the demon child reference as it fits perfect. I have been stopped a few times by people asking what the **** it is so that will be my new response lol. How are you liking yours as a daily driver? I have seen alot of complaints for ride quality and bad gas mileage. Here in St. Pete Florida the ride has been stiffer but easily tolerable and if I want better gas mileage I just throw it in ECO mode but wheres the fun in that lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts