Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent my Kona N in for R&D at Eibach for their pro-kit. Final results are 1.3inch drop in the front and 1.2inch drop in the rear. Ride wise feels as stiff as the stock springs (but lower obviously). Damper adjustment still works and normal is still the best. Feel the road more and bumps / potholes just a tad bit more. Sport+ is super bouncy (but my area has bad roads lol). Im sure it'd be better on smoother roads. Less body roll going into corners and less brake dive as well. Overall car feels more planted and more like a hot-hatch! Though you do lose that CUV height it still has a good amount of clearance.

Hoping to put it through its paces more in terms of daily driving but loving it so far. Hope they hit the US market soon for those looking for springs.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
That looks just a bit higher then my Kona 1.6T AWD. (see my link in my signature) That look so nice now. The way it should of been. A Kona N IS a hot hatch no matter what they say. Did you have them add camber bolts so you can get some more negative camber? Just curious, what was the final alignment they set in the front for toe, camber, and caster? Also, can please post the same for the rear too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks just a bit higher then my Kona 1.6T AWD. (see my link in my signature) That look so nice now. The way it should of been. A Kona N IS a hot hatch no matter what they say. Did you have them add camber bolts so you can get some more negative camber? Just curious, what was the final alignment they set in the front for toe, camber, and caster? Also, can please post the same for the rear too.
Yeah, weird that they raised it instead, but I guess going for that whole its an SUV thing ha. Your drop on your Kona looks mint!

No camber bolts or camber adjustment. Stock wheels and they did the alignment based on those (stock) parameters I believe (which I don't know the technical specs for that!).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Germany dealership have a Hyundai part number with these springs. If you install the springs with the Hyundai part number your warranty won't be voided. I'm looking into this and since I got the part number I going to see if my local deaership can order them and install them.

I wasn't considering dropping the Kona N until I've seen a few lowered. Definitely something to do and thank god Hyundai has these as an OEM part for those that don't want to void the warranty.

Yeah, weird that they raised it instead, but I guess going for that whole its an SUV thing ha. Your drop on your Kona looks mint!

No camber bolts or camber adjustment. Stock wheels and they did the alignment based on those (stock) parameters I believe (which I don't know the technical specs for that!).
The Kona N was designed to go in mud, deep snow, and sand outside the USA. The extra ride height allows the car to drive better in some of those conditions like a true SUV. The USA spec should of come lowered because we don't get any of those drive modes that are offered in other areas.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How’s the ride with it lowered? I feel like it’s on the verge of too harsh at its standard height and would imagine lowering it makes it every rougher, but I’m interested to hear about your experience so far.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
How’s the ride with it lowered? I feel like it’s on the verge of too harsh at its standard height and would imagine lowering it makes it every rougher, but I’m interested to hear about your experience so far.
Spring rate is what matters, being lower does not. You need to find out how these compare to the OEM spring rates. You are one email away from finding out by emailing Eibach. It appears Eibach USA did these, check with them.

From what I understand Eibach USA is different from Eibach UK and Germany. When I was looking into Eibach's for my 2018 Kona Limited AWD in 2018, Eibach USA wanted nothing to with helping me get the springs from Germany. From what I could tell they are just a franchise. I had to import my springs from the UK as they were actually helpful and want to sell me the lowering springs. It cost me $140 US to 7 day delivery it from the UK and it appeared I was the first in the US to have Kona Eibach's. A small price to pay to get the soft/tall springs out of the 1.6T Kona. If you can't get answers from Eibach USA , email Eibach UK as they are more them helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Kona N was designed to go in mud, deep snow, and sand outside the USA. The extra ride height allows the car to drive better in some of those conditions like a true SUV. The USA spec should of come lowered because we don't get any of those drive modes that are offered in other areas.
[/QUOTE]
did the kona n get awd outside of the usa?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i think he is talking about the drive modes available for other markets which aren't available on the ones in the US. the US ones only have a snow option, while other markets get the ones he listed. not sure if they make much of a difference though. haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i think he is talking about the drive modes available for other markets which aren't available on the ones in the US. the US ones only have a snow option, while other markets get the ones he listed. not sure if they make much of a difference though. haha.
yeah those drivin conditions dont register in my head for fwd, i cant beleive the raised the overall height. now im not interested at all in a kona n

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah those drivin conditions dont register in my head for fwd, i cant beleive the raised the overall height. now im not interested at all in a kona n
There’s always the Elantra N, but it’s all about where you want to compromise. Unfortunately no sub $45,000 performance car is going to do everything perfectly. The Elantra N is lower and a bit sharper to drive, but you sacrifice the hatch, the styling is something only a mother could love, and the seats make a park bench feel like a sofa.

I looked at both and wound up with the Kona. I thought the much comfier seats, hatch, more open feeling interior, and less edgy styling made it a more appealing choice for my needs. If you’re interested I’d recommend you take both out for a spin if you can find them. FWIW, the extra ride height in the Kona doesn’t really affect its driving demeanor very much. It still drives like a hot hatch, and Car and Driver registered .95 G in their road holding rest as well as a 168 foot stop from 70. Those aren’t exactly SUV numbers…

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I Kona N was not designed for mud, it is a hot hatch, it has NOTHING to do with a suv/cuv, BUT high ride height. Hyundai kept seeing "I like the high ride height" from regular Kona, Tucson, and many other brand and models. Like owners of Subaru owners who like the high ride height. It appeals to more drivers as a whole. Then we have people here who talked up the high ride height like it was the "bomb", now looking at lowering springs. Because that is what the car is.......a hot hatch, that needs to be lowered.

·
Registered
131 Posts
[/QUOTE]

No. Outside the North America, drivers are more incline to use their Kona N for more than tar track.

I've seen a few videos where the other modes do work and work decently for the Kona N. Though not as good as a AWD setup like a Subaru WRX.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No. Outside the North America, drivers are more incline to use their Kona N for more than tar track.

thats a pretty bold statement, north america has 22 countries in it, with all type of conditions for driving

I've seen a few videos where the other modes do work and work decently for the Kona N. Though not as good as a AWD setup like a Subaru WRX.
[/QUOTE]
and id bet the absolute worst awd or 4wd would fare better vs computer controlled algorithms by an ecu on a fwd mini suv

·
Registered
131 Posts
thats a pretty bold statement, north america has 22 countries in it, with all type of conditions for driving

the absolute worst awd or 4wd would fare better vs computer controlled algorithms by an ecu on a fwd mini suv
I see plenty of fools driving AWD and 4WD cars that end up in the ditch because they are fools and believe the car driving system will allow them to drive stupidly through incremental weather. No driving system will resolve idiocy behind the wheel. I have owned quite a few AWD cars and my FWD Saab out performed the AWD cars I owned in the snow. I have owned a Jeep, GMC, Audi, and 3 Subaru.

As for the driving modes on the Kona N; it would have been nice to see mud, sand and deep snow here in the NA markets. I believe some of the programming could help but from my experience it is more about skill than a car driving system.

I have drove my Elantra Sport and Saab 9-3 Aero both through snow on summer tires perfectly fine. Skill always trump driving systems because both times I drove through snow on summer tires I saw plenty of AWD and 4WD autos in ditches.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts